Riddled Basins of Attraction.....

Knock

Riddled Basins of Attraction.....

Postby Knock » Tue May 11, 2010 4:05 pm

About to take that PT. Been fearing this RC passage for weeks ever since I first heard about it. I saw that RC is also the first section :shock: . Here we go...i'll post my thoughts (and possibly tears) on the 15 minute break between sections 3 and 4. See you guys then, be here to commiserate with me.

am060459

Re: Riddled Basins of Attraction.....

Postby am060459 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:31 pm

took that PT today too. got murdered by that passage with a -4 (had to guess on 3 since i ran out of time). total for RC was -7.

malfurion

Postby malfurion » Tue May 11, 2010 9:44 pm

Because of my background I usually find the science passages way easier than any of the other passage types in RC. But that one definitely gave me a hard time. I ended up missing two of the questions and it took up a lot of time which probably cost me some questions on other passages. There was also another passage in that PT that was about some cultural bullshit and was almost completely incomprehensible to me after my brain was melted by the basins of attraction. -7 total for me on that RC section, worst I've ever done.

pleasetryagain

Postby pleasetryagain » Tue May 11, 2010 9:45 pm

When I see these threads I am reminded of how glad I am the LSAT is behind me.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Oh I forgot to update. I actually didn't think the Riddled Basins of Attraction passage was as difficult as it was made out to be. I've done much more difficult passages that don't get nearly the degree of infamy as this one, notable some of the art passages.

I ended up missing 1 on the Basins passage, the author's attitude, and I narrowed that one to the correct choice and incorrect choice, but chose the wrong one.

Went -3 on RC, which is slightly above my average.

Anyone know when the comparative reading passages start?

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue May 11, 2010 9:52 pm

They start with the June 2007 LSAT. You might want to do them first or last since they require a slightly different approach. Some like them more than regular passages, others like them less. I think they're less "gameable" than regular passages. They basically require you to do silly things like tell them which of the following was or was not mentioned in one of the two passages, etc.

Control-F - ftw.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 11, 2010 9:53 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:They start with the June 2007 LSAT. You might want to do them first or last since they require a slightly different approach. Some like them more than regular passages, others like them less. I think they're less "gameable" than regular passages. They basically require you to do silly things like tell them which of the following was or was not mentioned in one of the two passages, etc.

Control-F - ftw.

Is that really your blog? if so, you've helped me out a ton...

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue May 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Yep, this is really Steve, haha. Glad the blog has helped you!

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 11, 2010 9:57 pm

Knockglock wrote:Oh I forgot to update. I actually didn't think the Riddled Basins of Attraction passage was as difficult as it was made out to be. I've done much more difficult passages that don't get nearly the degree of infamy as this one, notable some of the art passages.

I ended up missing 1 on the Basins passage, the author's attitude, and I narrowed that one to the correct choice and incorrect choice, but chose the wrong one.

Went -3 on RC, which is slightly above my average.

Anyone know when the comparative reading passages start?

From the blog, the 5 hardest RC passages:
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/06/ha ... sages.html

I definitely agree, the Dworkin Positivsm passage was harder than Riddled Basins, and maybe even the Maize one too.

malfurion

Postby malfurion » Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Knockglock wrote:From the blog, the 5 hardest RC passages:

I definitely agree, the Dworkin Positivsm passage was harder than Riddled Basins, and maybe even the Maize one too.

I actually liked the Maize one and the Hippocratic Oath one for some reason. Haven't done PT35 or PT55 but those two passages sound pretty awful from their descriptions. It's hard to predict, though, some passages just "click" when you read them and others just refuse to sink in no matter how many times you move your eyes across the words.

A couple of the worst ones for me have been the Hawaiian poetry in PT53 (anything involving poetry causes my brain to shut down immediately) and the women in medieval English law in PT29, ugh.

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 pm

malfurion wrote:
Knockglock wrote:From the blog, the 5 hardest RC passages:

I actually liked the Maize one and the Hippocratic Oath one for some reason. Haven't done PT35 or PT55 but those two passages sound pretty awful from their descriptions. It's hard to predict, though, some passages just "click" when you read them and others just refuse to sink in no matter how many times you move your eyes across the words.

Yeah definitely. I actually didn't miss any on the Maize passage, even though I was running low on time when I entered it, but even though I didn't miss any, I still thought it was harder.

The Hippocratic Oath one I can't really remember.

And yeah, the one from PT 35 (Dworkin's positivism) was really challenging. Some of the art ones I thought were the toughest though, do you remember one about the artist who painted in a cartoonish style in reaction to abstractionism or something? I thought that one was really challenging. And also the one about the African-American poet who wrote about something like religious topics and racism; and also the one about the ecosystem, how things could be better if we had a living ecosystem or something like that.

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Wed May 12, 2010 7:51 pm

Told ya...It wasn't bad I just missed questions because I had convinced myself (got caught up with internet hype) it was harder than it really was :wink:

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”