Scared To Pick Up The Study Materials Again

Madman

Scared To Pick Up The Study Materials Again

Postby Madman » Tue May 11, 2010 3:52 pm

So I wrote the Feb LSAT and got a dissapointing 161 (I was aiming for 165 and up). I plan on taking the October LSAT but have a few questions for all of you.

1. When is a good time to start studying again for the October 2010 LSAT?

2. For any second time writers out there, did you find that you forgot a lot of what you had learned, or did timing etc. come back pretty quick (I have a major fear of this)?

Cheers all.

stintez

Re: Scared To Pick Up The Study Materials Again

Postby stintez » Tue May 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Madman wrote:So I wrote the Feb LSAT and got a dissapointing 161 (I was aiming for 165 and up). I plan on taking the October LSAT but have a few questions for all of you.

2. For any second time writers out there, did you find that you forgot a lot of what you had learned, or did timing etc. come back pretty quick (I have a major fear of this)?

Cheers all.

+1

BigFatPanda

Postby BigFatPanda » Tue May 11, 2010 4:08 pm

June 1st, worked out pretty well for me

sk08

Postby sk08 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I canceled my June score at the testing center after a busy work week and after getting flustered on the first section and messing up my timing. I was very disappointed as I was looking foward to being done with the studying and having a somewhat relaxing summer. I did not start studying again until the first week of August for the retake in late September. I think you need to evaluate what caused the low score: was there a disruption in the room? did you not take enough timed tests? For me, the problem was more nerves, not recovering after a very rushed first section, and not taking time off from work before the test (I worked the day before) - so these things were fairly easy to practice/fix the 2nd time around. I think you have to evaluate where your problem was and plan around that.

If you felt prepared and the problem was more with performance than with material then you should probably wait later so that you don't burn out. If you felt like you did well and were disappointed with your score then the problem is more likely your understanding of the material in which case I recommend starting early/soon and go back to concepts before diving into timed tests again.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue May 11, 2010 4:12 pm

I think I started my second round of studying after July 4th weekend (maybe mid-July), and then plowed through to test day in September.

As for forgetting, I forgot the questions I had studied already -- they just vanished from my mind, so it was easier to judge how I was progressing. I didn't lose timing or the ability to solve the questions though.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Tue May 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Madman wrote:So I wrote the Feb LSAT and got a dissapointing 161 (I was aiming for 165 and up). I plan on taking the October LSAT but have a few questions for all of you.

Cheers all.

1. I would say 2-3 months would be a good time period. I started studying for the June LSAT in April using a condensed version of the pithypike method and it has been working well thus far.

2. In my case I found that I had a much greater grasp at the material the second time around. LR and RC have been coming to me much easier than it ever has the first time. Still a bit hit or miss on the games though....I hit more often now. I got a 161 and I now consistently PT in the 170s...you may be surprised about what you may do.

PHC

Postby PHC » Tue May 11, 2010 4:43 pm

I took the Sept 09 test and didn't like my score. But the more and more I think about starting to study again, the more and more I like my score. I can't stand the thought of working FT and then coming home to study again. Blah. The horrible thought I keep having is spending months studying only to not get my PT scores high enough to justify retaking. I really need to just pick up the book and get it done.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”