Overcoming stupid mistakes in the LR section

PierceFromCT

Overcoming stupid mistakes in the LR section

Postby PierceFromCT » Tue May 11, 2010 3:02 pm

For some reason, I always get 1-4 LR questions wrong which are just stoooopid errors. Anyone have advice on how to overcome this?

Also, I found that doing this section with a thin blue hi-lighter helps. Am I crazy? Is this a time suck?

beidoun

Re: Overcoming stupid mistakes in the LR section

Postby beidoun » Tue May 11, 2010 3:28 pm

PierceFromCT wrote:For some reason, I always get 1-4 LR questions wrong which are just stoooopid errors. Anyone have advice on how to overcome this?

I have the same problem

Confused&Pissed

Postby Confused&Pissed » Wed May 12, 2010 10:26 am

And me :cry:

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed May 12, 2010 10:46 am

My head hurts from all of the face_palm-ing I do. Once you hit a certain plateau, I feel like any errors you make are stupid errors.

Anyway, time management is key for me. I do the best when I push myself through the first 15 questions, then slow down for the last 10. First 15 in 15 minutes means I will usually miss 1 in the first 15 and 1-2 in the last part.

If I do the first 15 in 20 minutes, I'll miss 0 in those, but miss a lot more in the second half.

Focus. Careful reading. Time management.

theZeigs

Postby theZeigs » Wed May 26, 2010 10:10 pm

I am in the exact same place. I feel like if I eliminate stupid mistakes, I will get almost a perfect score.

For those people who routinely score 175+, what prevents you from making stupid mistakes? (or, are you just not prone to making stupid mistakes?)

EDIT: I have also found these related threads:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74479
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80619
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41103

with some salient advice therein; though I would still appreciate any other advice people have.

shutterbug

Postby shutterbug » Wed May 26, 2010 10:24 pm

Stupid errors on LR killed me on the Dec. 2009 test, where I ended up with -2 on one section, and -9 on the other. Good luck if you can figure out how to minimize stupid errors. I never did!

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Wed May 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Time management is a big deal -- if you have more time, you have more time to catch potential errors. Lots of people here are proponents of the "10 in 10" method, which has you complete the first ten questions (they're usually simpler than the rest) in ten minutes so you have ample time for the rest.

The best thing you can do, though, is identify your errors in some way other than "stupid mistake." Look for patterns in what you do wrong. Some people like to write a full explanation of every single LR question they get wrong by writing out the correct answer, why it's the correct answer, and why the other choices are wrong. I've never tried that, but it might help you out.

Getting one question wrong because of a "stupid mistake" on test day isn't any better than getting one wrong because it was really hard and you didn't know what to do. Stay focused, don't get complacent on "easy" questions, don't skip the other answer choices after you find one you like (unless you're very pressed on time, I guess), and review your completed PTs with great care. If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no point in studying.

theZeigs

Postby theZeigs » Thu May 27, 2010 10:02 am

WhatSarahSaid wrote:Time management is a big deal -- if you have more time, you have more time to catch potential errors. Lots of people here are proponents of the "10 in 10" method, which has you complete the first ten questions (they're usually simpler than the rest) in ten minutes so you have ample time for the rest.

The best thing you can do, though, is identify your errors in some way other than "stupid mistake." Look for patterns in what you do wrong. Some people like to write a full explanation of every single LR question they get wrong by writing out the correct answer, why it's the correct answer, and why the other choices are wrong. I've never tried that, but it might help you out.

Getting one question wrong because of a "stupid mistake" on test day isn't any better than getting one wrong because it was really hard and you didn't know what to do. Stay focused, don't get complacent on "easy" questions, don't skip the other answer choices after you find one you like (unless you're very pressed on time, I guess), and review your completed PTs with great care. If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no point in studying.

I just had the lowest score I've had in the last 15 tests because of stupid errors; I also finished every section early (by about 3 mins). I think I rushed too much. Next PT, going to take my time and make sure that the words are precise.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”