PowerScore prep course versus Testmasters prep course

Ted

PowerScore prep course versus Testmasters prep course

Postby Ted » Tue May 11, 2010 12:15 pm

Which one is regarded as a better prep course? I have been using the PowerScore Bibles for studying on my own. Testmasters was recomended by a friend who attended a well respected law school in the midwest. Should I stick with PowerScores course since I've been using their material, or would it be a good idea to get another's perspective?

DoctorNick189

Re: PowerScore prep course versus Testmasters prep course

Postby DoctorNick189 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:19 pm

powerscore all the way

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue May 11, 2010 12:26 pm

think about how many people who are going to answer this question have actually taken classes with both PS and TM. Probably zero.

texas man

Postby texas man » Tue May 11, 2010 1:08 pm

suspicious android wrote:think about how many people who are going to answer this question have actually taken classes with both PS and TM. Probably zero.

I took both- they are very similar, however TM is a lot more rigorous. I preferred the TM method a little more, however I liked the PS teacher more. Overall, it's close, but I would go with TM.

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:09 pm

wasn't there some massive hate on TM on this forum a while back?

Ted

Postby Ted » Tue May 11, 2010 1:40 pm

Thanks, Texas Man. I appreciate your response.

brooklynballers

Postby brooklynballers » Tue May 11, 2010 2:05 pm

Testmasters. I've heard from multiple people that it's the best decision they ever made.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Tue May 11, 2010 2:16 pm

I took a Testmasters class and improved significantly.

The method used in the Powerscore LG Bible is not that different from the Testmasters approach to games, but Reading Comp and Logical Reasoning really set Testmasters apart. Switching from Powerscore to Testmasters is not that difficult. A couple of the ways of diagramming a rule in a game will look different but mean the same thing. It's not confusing. After each class you have 100 LR questions broken down by category so you get a lot of practice, in addition to some RC passages and games. If you do every homework assignment and all the supplemental materials, you will have done nearly every LSAT question since the inception of the modern test. Further, I think Powerscore tends to over-classify the LR section, whereas with Testmasters you just lets you get on with it.

That said, I am basing my opinion on having taken one class only. I have both the Powerscore Games Bible and LR Bible. While the games Bible is great, I find the LR Bible a bit... useless.

slax

Postby slax » Tue May 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Powerscore was founded by Robin Singh's (Testmaster's founder) best friend and former business partner. Both use the same concepts. For example, TM says incorrect reversal while Power Score says, I think, mistaken reversal. It's the same ideas. If you are self motivated and can work through Power Score bibles on your own and without explanation from a teacher, it's a cheaper investment. I'm in a TM class mostly because I got half off through a contest and would never commit to the work without the structure of a class. My score has gone up 22 points so it was definitely worth the $725 I spent on the class. I should make my money back from schools if my score stays high.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed May 12, 2010 12:57 am

texas man wrote:I took both- they are very similar, however TM is a lot more rigorous. I preferred the TM method a little more, however I liked the PS teacher more. Overall, it's close, but I would go with TM.

Then you are definitely qualified to answer this question. Glad you're here.:)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”