Stumped by RC question

freddie

Stumped by RC question

Postby freddie » Tue May 11, 2010 9:55 am

RC is definitely not my favorite section, and one RC question in particular has me stumped: PT 38, Q1.

I cannot decide between a) and c). I would greatly appreciate any insight into why a) is incorrect. I apologize if I've overlooked a previous post on this question.

Many thanks in advance!

RPK34

Re: Stumped by RC question

Postby RPK34 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 am

freddie wrote:RC is definitely not my favorite section, and one RC question in particular has me stumped: PT 38, Q1.

I cannot decide between a) and c). I would greatly appreciate any insight into why a) is incorrect. I apologize if I've overlooked a previous post on this question.

Many thanks in advance!

It's just not the main point of the argument. The idea of precedent, which that answer relies on, isn't even mentioned until the last couple lines, and is just one example. Generally, the correct main idea answers will not have specific examples in them (unless that example represents a major point in the argument).

Furthermore, the author sort of dismisses the idea of precedent as an institutional authority since poorly reasoned arguments are overturned.

freddie

Postby freddie » Tue May 11, 2010 10:31 am

Thanks for your reply. I think you might be referring to a different question than the one that is stumping me, unless I am missing something. The passage I am referring to is the first RC passage in PT 38, and the question is 1). The passage discusses Native American forest burnings.

Thanks!

RPK34

Postby RPK34 » Tue May 11, 2010 10:51 am

freddie wrote:Thanks for your reply. I think you might be referring to a different question than the one that is stumping me, unless I am missing something. The passage I am referring to is the first RC passage in PT 38, and the question is 1). The passage discusses Native American forest burnings.

Thanks!

Sorry wrong one. A and C are essentially reversals of each other. Just look at the wording. A is essentially saying that the main idea of the passage is that some scholars persist in claiming that such burning was not normal, whereas C says that the impact of the burning is quite extensive. The entire passage is trying to prove that NA burning was widespread despite our misconceptions.

freddie

Postby freddie » Tue May 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Very helpful! Thanks so much!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”