licensing agreements with LSAC

sharpnsmooth

licensing agreements with LSAC

Postby sharpnsmooth » Sun May 09, 2010 2:58 am

hey, i wanted to know if anybody knows anything about this. i did very well on my lsat, and have been helping other people out. i have very strong public speaking skills, and am very good with people. i don't mean to seem cocky as i have holes galore, but for whatever reason i am excellent at teaching people how to improve their LSAT scores.

this all being said, there would be a great deal of profit to be made in running affordable LSAT classes for 600 per student. the main thing, however, is that i'd need to supply course materials. i would take 30 tests or so, break them up into question types, and offer answer explanations in accordance with the individual techniques i had made up to self-conquer this exam.

does anybody have any experience approaching LSAC about this or have an idea at how much money i'd need to shell out? i know that Testmasters got sued a million dollars for breaching a licensing agreement, and being that i don't have a million dollars, am dependent on LSAC to get into my target law schools and have firm respect for the general elegance of this particular exam, have no interest in ticking them off in any way, shape or form.

any input would be greatly appreciated.

Knock

Re: licensing agreements with LSAC

Postby Knock » Sun May 09, 2010 3:19 am

I have no clue, but i've read lines in the Powerscore Bible that make me suspect it was pricey. Extremely loose paraphrasing: "Powerscore shells out quite a bit of money to get the real test questions; that's one of the reasons Powerscore is the best."

wakefield

Postby wakefield » Sun May 09, 2010 10:40 am

I don't know about the licensing, but I took an LSAT course from a small, private company (not Kaplan, testmasters, etc) that held classes on a few different undergrad campuses. They seemed to get business through the colleges and word of mouth, and the materials used were just the prep tests. It was pricey, but the the most recent 40-50 tests were included and the class size was kept under 15.

I think if you want to start teaching LSAT prep, that's a good way to start. I have no idea if you need to pay LSAC to teach with their prep tests, but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun May 09, 2010 3:16 pm

As I understand it, we (Princeton Review) pay LSAC in the neighborhood of $200 or $300 per student for access to all the tests. It's a little less if you're only using half the tests, as it sounds like you're intending.

If the students come with the tests already, I don't believe you have to pay LSAC anything.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Sun May 09, 2010 3:40 pm

tomwatts wrote:As I understand it, we (Princeton Review) pay LSAC in the neighborhood of $200 or $300 per student for access to all the tests. It's a little less if you're only using half the tests, as it sounds like you're intending.

If the students come with the tests already, I don't believe you have to pay LSAC anything.

I think that would be the trick. They buy the tool, you show them how to use it. In groups.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon May 10, 2010 12:06 am

Mr. Pablo wrote:
tomwatts wrote:As I understand it, we (Princeton Review) pay LSAC in the neighborhood of $200 or $300 per student for access to all the tests. It's a little less if you're only using half the tests, as it sounds like you're intending.

I think that would be the trick. They buy the tool, you show them how to use it. In groups.

this being said, would it be illegal for me to teach them with another company's texts such as Kaplan or Princeton, etc.? i would not be photocopying or duplicating published material, but i would be using it in a way that i am sure these companies would not like as it would take away potential clients from them. i don't want to do anything "legally questionable."

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon May 10, 2010 1:22 am

go back to the analog timer thread and rescind your accusation against me.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon May 10, 2010 4:39 pm

I doubt that you could use the actual books, or even the phrases that companies use (you know those words/phrases that have TM after every use, like " The Fact Test" in the LR Bible). You would probably have to alter your phrasing, but I can't see anyone owning a method of diagramming or reasoning. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't actually offer you sound advice. I can speculate and pull shit out of my ass, though. I'm great at that.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon May 10, 2010 7:04 pm

suspicious android wrote:go back to the analog timer thread and rescind your accusation against me.

i confused analog with digital.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon May 10, 2010 7:05 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:I doubt that you could use the actual books, or even the phrases that companies use (you know those words/phrases that have TM after every use, like " The Fact Test" in the LR Bible). You would probably have to alter your phrasing, but I can't see anyone owning a method of diagramming or reasoning. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't actually offer you sound advice. I can speculate and pull shit out of my ass, though. I'm great at that.

yes, i need the actual law.

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Mon May 10, 2010 9:14 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:
Mr. Pablo wrote:I doubt that you could use the actual books, or even the phrases that companies use (you know those words/phrases that have TM after every use, like " The Fact Test" in the LR Bible). You would probably have to alter your phrasing, but I can't see anyone owning a method of diagramming or reasoning. I'm not a lawyer, so I can't actually offer you sound advice. I can speculate and pull shit out of my ass, though. I'm great at that.

So call a lawyer, that's what they're for.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Mon May 10, 2010 9:53 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:this being said, would it be illegal for me to teach them with another company's texts such as Kaplan or Princeton, etc.? i would not be photocopying or duplicating published material, but i would be using it in a way that i am sure these companies would not like as it would take away potential clients from them. i don't want to do anything "legally questionable."

If you're just buying a copy for each of your students (or requiring them to buy copies for themselves) and using it as a textbook, I don't think you need to pay royalties or anything. You'd have to buy the copies full-price, though, one for each student.

I'm obviously not a lawyer, but it seems like common sense.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Mon May 10, 2010 10:26 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:
suspicious android wrote:go back to the analog timer thread and rescind your accusation against me.

The words that are supposed to follow that are "I'm sorry."

nonpareilpearl

Postby nonpareilpearl » Tue May 11, 2010 1:36 pm

suspicious android wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:

No offense Suspicious Android, but can't you guys settle that on the original thread?

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Thu May 13, 2010 8:25 am

nonpareilpearl wrote:
suspicious android wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:

No offense Suspicious Android, but can't you guys settle that on the original thread?

+1. Yay for private messages!

isaiah6v8

Postby isaiah6v8 » Thu May 13, 2010 9:24 am

This ability is what will make us great lawyers! Or so I would speculate.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Thu May 13, 2010 6:13 pm

Mr. Pablo wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:

So call a lawyer, that's what they're for.

Lawyers cost a lot of $. I've always taken care of my own legal matters as necessary. With the exception of auto repair and medicinal expenses, I try to handle everything on my own in case my financial circumstances ever take a turn for the worse.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”