Timing on Logical Reasoning

iwanta170

Timing on Logical Reasoning

Postby iwanta170 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:44 pm

Just took the December 08 practice test and got a 164. I did pretty good in games and reading comp but so-so in LR (-6 in one of the LR sections and -7 in the other). I think part of the reason is my timing. Against my own good judgment, I tend to double-check stuff and occasionally second guess myself. On the practice test I took today, I had 1-2 unanswered in each of the 2 LR sections when time was called and also I didn't have time to go back and review another 1-2 questions that I had answered but had circled because I wasn't totally confident. My timing is costing me points! So for those of you who breeze through a LR section, only miss a couple, and have 5 minutes to spare, what are you doing?

tesoro

Re: Timing on Logical Reasoning

Postby tesoro » Sat May 08, 2010 4:50 pm

I had a timing issue that was resolved. This is how I resolved it:

I decided to slow down, read every answer choice thoroughly, and then circle the best answer. The idea was to, rather than second-guess and re-read questions and choices, simply read each question and choice once. I would also skip all parallel reasoning questions and save them for the end. I would answer about 20 questions correctly on average with this method, and leave the rest blank/random guess.

I realized that slowing down and not re-reading helped my accuracy a ton but cost me the time to finish each section. In doing this, though, my confidence improved and my ability to spot the correct answer choice improved.

The way I was able to build up to finishing each section early was by identifying answer choice (a), (b) or (c) as correct confidently without reading any subsequent answer choices. If (a) is the answer and you spend time reading (b) - (e) you're wasting valuable seconds which add up over the span of the section. Slowing down initially and drilling sections helped me build the confidence to do this.

sangr

Postby sangr » Sat May 08, 2010 5:44 pm

what do u mean by read a-c?

do u mean that you read a through c carefully so that you dont have to reread it?

timing is also a huge issue for me. It literally makes or breaks a test for me.

I've heard of strategies like not checking the other answer choices for the first couple and things liike that.

tesoro

Postby tesoro » Sat May 08, 2010 5:47 pm

sangr wrote:what do u mean by read a-c?

do u mean that you read a through c carefully so that you dont have to reread it?

timing is also a huge issue for me. It literally makes or breaks a test for me.

I've heard of strategies like not checking the other answer choices for the first couple and things liike that.

I mean building enough confidence to identify correct answer choices in a vacuum, rather than in relation to the other answer choices. You carefully read each stimulus and answer choice, but stop reading once you hit the correct answer choice. So if C is the correct answer choice, you never spend time reading (d) and (e).

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”