The Official LSAT SuperPrep: did it help you?

legalized

The Official LSAT SuperPrep: did it help you?

Postby legalized » Fri May 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Just wondering who used it and how it worked for them.

poo

Re: The Official LSAT SuperPrep: did it help you?

Postby poo » Fri May 07, 2010 9:26 pm

Also interested in this, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $30.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri May 07, 2010 9:31 pm

poo wrote:Also interested in this, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $30.

Why not check for it used on Amazon?

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 9:41 pm

Not really worth it in my honest opinion.

Except as just 3 more tests worth of material + the hardest LG sections ever created.

DoctorNick189

Postby DoctorNick189 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 pm

don't buy it

poo

Postby poo » Fri May 07, 2010 9:47 pm

legalized wrote:
poo wrote:Also interested in this, I'm trying to decide if it's worth the $30.

Why not check for it used on Amazon?

Good idea-- I'm on there right now looking.

Knockglock wrote:Not really worth it in my honest opinion.

Except as just 3 more tests worth of material + the hardest LG sections ever created.

Not worth it for the games even?

Knock

Postby Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 9:52 pm

Not worth it for the games even?

I mean if you can get it cheap it's probably worth it, or if money is no object then might as well get it. But it really doesn't have any value more than just any other prep test.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Worked well for me. If you benefit from the explanations then it can be a great help.

I used it early on and went over every answer right or wrong and their explanations. Helped solidify why things were right and wrong for you. If you are able to do this on your own then it might not help, but for me it was very beneficial.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri May 07, 2010 11:21 pm

I got it for free so I wanted to see what people were getting out of it. Hopefully it will help me minimize wrong answers (and speed up on the $#@% logic games).

MLBrandow

Postby MLBrandow » Sat May 08, 2010 12:03 am

legalized wrote:Just wondering who used it and how it worked for them.

legalized,

This is a great book because it contains three February tests, which some people say have a bit of a different feel to them. The explanations are a bonus, but the meat of the deal is in the tests itself.

If you're strapped for cash, or don't think you'll get through more than 10 or 20 tests, I don't think I'd place this above Next10 or the set of loose tests available, but I would definitely rank it in front of the 10 AO LSATs, and 10 More AO LSATs, as both are becoming dated (but still valuable for more practice).

Given enough time, many people say they can figure out just about any problem on the LSAT, and so explanations in general aren't very good to use unless you're just plain completely stumped. But given the correct answer, usually you can sit down and think it through and accept both why your answer is wrong and why theirs is right.

Anyway, I would definitely buy it and take all three tests. If you use it as your sole source of preparation, you're going to be in bad shape, but as a supplement to a stack of other PrepTests and books, I think its a great value. (And for what it's worth, I had two copies at one point in my prep.)

Lonagan

Postby Lonagan » Sat May 08, 2010 12:09 am

I found it useful, but I used it before I got the Powerscore Bibles. If I had used it after reading the PS LG and LR books, I probably would have found it to be of pretty minimal utility.

usna02

Postby usna02 » Sat May 08, 2010 7:55 pm

I just started looking it over...it made zero sense to me and was very confusing. I would recommend either looking at a Powerscore, Kaplan or Princeton Review book--at least they explain things better to you.

As for the 3 tests included in the book: that was the only useful thing in the book.

This book is otherwise crap and hard to understand. Waste of your time.

legalized wrote:Just wondering who used it and how it worked for them.

legalized

Postby legalized » Wed May 12, 2010 10:24 am

hmm ok thanks. I will add it on to the end of my prep then...cause I do have all 3 10 AO books and intend to get through all 3 of them!

edinbourgh

Postby edinbourgh » Thu May 13, 2010 2:38 am

I got a copy for free from a friend, too. The explanations in it are a bit dense themselves. I had heard some people say that they benefited significantly from it, and I think it depends on the person. At least I got the sense that it was written not particularly to help test-takers in their studying per se but as a defense of why they believe the credited answer is credited. What you get from it is up to the person, I guess.

PadawanLaw

Postby PadawanLaw » Thu May 13, 2010 7:53 am

I purchased it for the additional tests and Borders had it marked as being $15 (mistake on their part?), so I picked it up. It's worth taking the included tests, but I would make sure it is at the end of your studying. Make sure you have the study methods down pretty solidly before you read their more confusing suggestions.

shoop

Postby shoop » Thu May 13, 2010 10:27 am

It had a really crackpot way of diagramming and "explaining" the answers to sequencing games. Like, worse than Powerscore's. However, overall, the explanations for LR questions have been vastly superior to those in Kaplan Mastery (which I used for LR practice, per the pithypike method).

(BTW, while I love Powerscore for 95% of game types, I have recently seen the light and realized that Atlas LSAT Prep's method is superior as regards sequencing games. No idea how it stacks up on other types).

usna02

Postby usna02 » Thu May 13, 2010 5:03 pm

+1

The price was definitely a mistake

PadawanLaw wrote:I purchased it for the additional tests and Borders had it marked as being $15 (mistake on their part?), so I picked it up. It's worth taking the included tests, but I would make sure it is at the end of your studying. Make sure you have the study methods down pretty solidly before you read their more confusing suggestions.

poo

Postby poo » Fri May 14, 2010 2:45 pm

shoop wrote:It had a really crackpot way of diagramming and "explaining" the answers to sequencing games. Like, worse than Powerscore's. However, overall, the explanations for LR questions have been vastly superior to those in Kaplan Mastery (which I used for LR practice, per the pithypike method).

(BTW, while I love Powerscore for 95% of game types, I have recently seen the light and realized that Atlas LSAT Prep's method is superior as regards sequencing games. No idea how it stacks up on other types).

Yeah their method for sequencing games is $$$. The PS method is wayyyyyy too complicated.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Thu May 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Thanks for shout out. That's probably the easiest of our diagrams to learn, but the other ones have proven to be very useful for folks. Granted, it's not your diagram the LSAT is testing, but a good system can help you work flexibly and quickly.

Since we're the little fish here, it's in our interest to have folks learn about us. If anyone has any questions, feel free to pm me. We offer curious folks a free hour of tutoring, so if you're wondering what the hell we do that's so different than the norm, reach out...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”