The secrets of bubbling? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BigA

Bronze

Re: The secrets of bubbling?

Post by BigA » Sun May 09, 2010 6:29 pm

jayn3 wrote:srsly? you haven't figured out a bubbling system that works for you after 13 years of pre-college standardized tests??
umm no. I never really thought about it or cared about any test before this. I'm a bit out of place, but not unique, on this site because I haven't been a superstar student prior to now, and I'm really trying to get my shit down for the LSAT and law school. I don't think I did any prep for the SAT, for example.
I know, I got neurotic about it, but somebody freaked me out about the whole pencil thing, so as part of my PTing I kept trying to figure out what I needed and then bring more than I needed to be safe. I also write somewhat hard with pencils so I tend to wear them down abnormally quickly.
Yeah, that seemed like a crazy amount of pencils to me too. But better safe than sorry. I've gotten into a habit of writing very lightly on games because it makes it easier to erase if I make a mistake on my sketch or need to re-diagram a rule, as I often do.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sun May 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Hey didn't read all of the posts. Just some disparaging ones.

Dull pencil for bubbling was definitely a tip I received from my Testmasters instructor and I found it helpful. The part about bubbling all at the end actually seems like a good idea. Those two things will probably save you about 30-60 seconds on each section.

Practicing bubbling in itself is smart because if you are a little OCD, you might find yourself filling in the circle for 2-3 seconds longer on each question than you really need to. All of this adds up to crucial time which can be the difference between right and wrong on 4-5 questions. Good job

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Sun May 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks for the sentiment. Yeah, I remember taking a test in college one time with a really dull pencil and I noticed how much easier that was for bubbling. If people get just that, who wouldn't have otherwise thought of it, then I think this thread was worth it.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 9:32 pm

For bubbling, use ebony pencils. They mark darker.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Sun May 09, 2010 9:34 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:For bubbling, use ebony pencils. They mark darker.
Racist.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Sun May 09, 2010 9:41 pm

BigA wrote:So I've just started to actually have a seperate sheet for bubbling when I do a PT. Probably should have doing this the whole time. I'm wondering what people's opinions are as to what the best method of bubbling is: After each question, after each page, after each section?

I also think it might be a good idea to have two pencils by me: one that is sharp for drawing and one that is really blunt for bubbling. I haven't tested this out yet, but I'm thinking a blunt pencil may be able to bubble faster than a sharp one. Thoughts?
Didn't read the whole thread but here are my thoughts: Bubble right before you have to flip the page on LR, after every RC passage and after every LG. When you have 3 or so minutes left bubble after every question. I don't think two pencils is a good idea, even if you save some extra seconds on bubbling you are gonna waste it on switching pencil anyway. I mean, have more than one pencil in case one breaks, but don't keep a separate on for bubbling.

/thoughts

becauseimaddicted

New

Post by becauseimaddicted » Sun May 09, 2010 9:56 pm

I actually did have one of those giant pencils (got in during my SAT-prep course in high school) and I think they're great. One swipe and done. Definitely worth the "transfer time" in my opinion.

I bubbled after after each page of questions on LR, game, or RC passage. I think taking the time to bubble after each question is time wasted as long as you can be careful.

And I did break 170. Booyah, giant pencil haters.

shoop

Bronze

Post by shoop » Mon May 10, 2010 11:29 am

I bubble before every page flip for LR, after each passage for RC, and after each game for LG. I make a conscious effort to look at the first question number of each bubbling streak to make sure I didn't forget to bubble/misbubble the last page/passage/game. Waiting to the end of the section leaves WAAAAY too much possibility of having tons of correct answers in the booklet and just running out of time to get them on the sheet.

I usually finish LR and RC sections with a couple minutes to spare, so I don't worry about having great bubbles because I can clean them up in the last few minutes. I use a fresh, sharp pencil for each LG game, and I have a heavy hand so that pencil tends to be dull enough for bubbling by the end of 5 or 6 questions.

As long as you obviously and unquestionably indicate one and only one answer, you can request handscoring if you're worried that the bubbles weren't dark/complete enough.

philosophynerd88

New

Post by philosophynerd88 » Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm also looking for a reliable bubbling strategy...Does anyone know if there is time between the sections where you can mark your answer sheet without working on a section...so that I could start by bubbling in only a little bit after each question and then finish bubbling after the section? Or would this violate LSAC rules?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Tue May 11, 2010 4:37 pm

philosophynerd88 wrote:I'm also looking for a reliable bubbling strategy...Does anyone know if there is time between the sections where you can mark your answer sheet without working on a section...so that I could start by bubbling in only a little bit after each question and then finish bubbling after the section? Or would this violate LSAC rules?
It would violate LSAC rules. Once the 35-minutes are up, it is pencils down.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Tue May 11, 2010 9:16 pm

here's something I just thought of... When do you guys make your random guesses if there are still questions that you haven't gotten to? I guess you should try to do this at least one minute out to be safe, but you don't want to randomly guess on questions you might have time to answer in the last minute.

Do you think you could get into trouble for making one or two bubbles right when the proctor says time is up? Imagine you're in the middle of the last question...

Jchouu

New

Post by Jchouu » Tue May 11, 2010 9:22 pm

I didn't bother sifting through everyone else's post, but yeah go with a blunt pencil. Also, depending on how strict your testing site is, there is this mechanical pencil that looks almost identical to a real pencil. I used that in my test booklet the second time through with a blunt pencil on the side. That way, I could underline premises and bracket conclusions with a fine and dark pencil mark. good luck

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Jchouu wrote:I didn't bother sifting through everyone else's post, but yeah go with a blunt pencil. Also, depending on how strict your testing site is, there is this mechanical pencil that looks almost identical to a real pencil. I used that in my test booklet the second time through with a blunt pencil on the side. That way, I could underline premises and bracket conclusions with a fine and dark pencil mark. good luck
Illegal. Shame on you!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Wed May 12, 2010 9:24 am

BigA wrote:here's something I just thought of... When do you guys make your random guesses if there are still questions that you haven't gotten to? I guess you should try to do this at least one minute out to be safe, but you don't want to randomly guess on questions you might have time to answer in the last minute.

Do you think you could get into trouble for making one or two bubbles right when the proctor says time is up? Imagine you're in the middle of the last question...
I only takes a few seconds to bubble in a few randomly - but you absolutely could get in trouble for bubbling after time is called.

This is why having a good watch is key. You should be able to glance and realize there's 1 minute, 30 seconds, and 15 seconds left.

The Kid

New

Post by The Kid » Wed May 12, 2010 10:29 am

I have a different question. When I do my PT's, I usually detach the answer sheet (which comes inclosed somewhere in the PT booklet). I do that in order to have the answer sheet side-by-side to the booklet and, thus, to avoid having to go to and fro in order to bubble.

My question: in the real test, is the answer sheet a separate sheet of paper or does it come inclosed in a booklet (as in the PT's)?

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Wed May 12, 2010 11:25 pm

The Kid wrote:I have a different question. When I do my PT's, I usually detach the answer sheet (which comes inclosed somewhere in the PT booklet). I do that in order to have the answer sheet side-by-side to the booklet and, thus, to avoid having to go to and fro in order to bubble.

My question: in the real test, is the answer sheet a separate sheet of paper or does it come inclosed in a booklet (as in the PT's)?
Its separate on the real thing. You are doing it right.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Wed May 12, 2010 11:33 pm

eandy wrote:
Jchouu wrote:I didn't bother sifting through everyone else's post, but yeah go with a blunt pencil. Also, depending on how strict your testing site is, there is this mechanical pencil that looks almost identical to a real pencil. I used that in my test booklet the second time through with a blunt pencil on the side. That way, I could underline premises and bracket conclusions with a fine and dark pencil mark. good luck
Illegal. Shame on you!
Alert the bar!

But seriously... pencils? Bubbling strategy? I can't tell if you're more like the people who think that headbands are a substitute for basketball skills, or neurotic blue-hair Catholics who go to daily confession.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Voyager

Silver

Post by Voyager » Wed May 12, 2010 11:50 pm

BigA wrote:So I've just started to actually have a seperate sheet for bubbling when I do a PT. Probably should have doing this the whole time. I'm wondering what people's opinions are as to what the best method of bubbling is: After each question, after each page, after each section?

I also think it might be a good idea to have two pencils by me: one that is sharp for drawing and one that is really blunt for bubbling. I haven't tested this out yet, but I'm thinking a blunt pencil may be able to bubble faster than a sharp one. Thoughts?
I recommend you circle your answers in the test book and then copy the answers over. The idea is that it allows you to focus on one task type at a time and so makes you more efficient. That is to say, you will more quickly and accurately bubble if you are bubbling everything all at once rather than moving back and forth from doing questions and bubbling.

One HUGE pitfall to this strategy is forgetting to leave time to transfer answers. If you find yourself short of time and forget to transfer the answers to your answer sheet you are well and truly screwed.

Still, if you practice this way of doing it, you should not run into trouble.

alive

New

Post by alive » Thu May 13, 2010 3:09 pm

I've tried each method on multiple prep tests and I've decided to transfer answers after each question. It is far more accurate for me, and, at least for LG and LR, I generally don't have an issue with time.

And before you ask, yes, I did have a number of misbubbles when I tried the block bubbling method.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Thu May 13, 2010 7:20 pm

so do people think even one bubble right when proctor calls time is a bad idea? if so, how do work right up to the end?

hairy_p

New

Post by hairy_p » Thu May 13, 2010 8:33 pm

The best way I experienced was to fold the bubble sheet and put next to the question beause more distant bubble sheet is from question more chances to make mistake are there and it also diverts the attention from question.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

The Kid

New

Post by The Kid » Thu May 13, 2010 10:00 pm

Thank you, Ragged.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”