The secrets of bubbling? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
BigA

Bronze

The secrets of bubbling?

Post by BigA » Fri May 07, 2010 7:17 pm

So I've just started to actually have a seperate sheet for bubbling when I do a PT. Probably should have doing this the whole time. I'm wondering what people's opinions are as to what the best method of bubbling is: After each question, after each page, after each section?

I also think it might be a good idea to have two pencils by me: one that is sharp for drawing and one that is really blunt for bubbling. I haven't tested this out yet, but I'm thinking a blunt pencil may be able to bubble faster than a sharp one. Thoughts?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Re: The secrets of bubbling?

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri May 07, 2010 7:24 pm

You have OCD.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 pm

This seems absurd. The time lost in transferring between pencils (including the awareness required to remember which pencil is for which) does not seem to be made up with something like this.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 pm

I kept one sharp pencil on reserve for logical games and then just kept a dull pencil in my hand as well to bubble.

But seriously, bro, this is not something worth discussing.

Mr. Pablo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Pablo » Fri May 07, 2010 7:32 pm

I bet that you could probably work this out on your own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Fri May 07, 2010 7:46 pm

Fastest way to bubble, I used it during my test and save 27.325 seconds:

--ImageRemoved--

sumus romani

Silver

Post by sumus romani » Fri May 07, 2010 8:00 pm

There is no secret of bubbling. Here is what I did: I used to bubble-in after each question for the LR, to clear my head after each question. Then I would bubble-in only after each passage + set of questions for the RC and games, to clear my head only after the material was no longer necessary. Just pick one method and get used to it.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri May 07, 2010 8:15 pm

I prefer to bubble after every question, it reduces chances of me making a bubbling mistake.

BigA

Bronze

Post by BigA » Fri May 07, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah, I think it's worth it to have a system of bubbling down. Even Powerscore talks about it briefly. So if you think it's not worth discussing why even click?
You have OCD.
:lol: maybe
This seems absurd. The time lost in transferring between pencils (including the awareness required to remember which pencil is for which) does not seem to be made up with something like this.
Yeah, I'd just stick with one pencil on the games. I still think a dull pencil might save seconds on the other sections. It's not a disaster if they get crossed up.
There is no secret of bubbling. Here is what I did: I used to bubble-in after each question for the LR, to clear my head after each question. Then I would bubble-in only after each passage + set of questions for the RC and games, to clear my head only after the material was no longer necessary. Just pick one method and get used to it.
Thread title was just meant to be amusing but I can see that was an epic fail. I never thought of bubbling in as a way to clear my head between questions. That's interesting.
I prefer to bubble after every question, it reduces chances of me making a bubbling mistake.
If you're prone to doing that, then that's the way to go. Also if you jump around questions a lot I'd think that's the only way to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri May 07, 2010 9:05 pm

In case you were serious about this, this is what I did and I think it helped.

For pencils, I had several (and by that I mean about 10-12) that were sharpened and ready to be used. It was whatever was in the box that I bought at Staples and I really didn't care because I planned to walk out of the test without any pencils. As the pencils got dull, I just grabbed a sharp one out of the pile on the desk and put the dull one in a different pile. I never needed to worry about sharpening pencils or loosing time doing so. Generally speaking, I made it through the RC section with maybe two, each LR with two, and the games with four. For games, I got a new pencil after each game, because I wanted a sharp pencil to keep my sketches small. At the break, sharpen all pencils and repeat while the admin lady is handing out the tests after I cleared my head during the break. I did not use any break time to sharpen pencils.

As for bubbling, I learned that you take a lot of time transferring answers to the bubble sheet if you do it after each question becuase you lose visual focus, so I did the following: RC (after each passage and all associated questions), LG (after each [strike]passage[/strike]game and all associated questions), LR (after each pair of facing pages). It was always about 6-8 questions at a time, and each time I transferred answers, I would talk to myself, like (1 A, then B, then B, then C, etc) -- the number being the first question I was answering so I could avoid misbubbling. If I skipped one, it would have been like 7 C, D, D, skip, E.

EDIT: LG is game not passage.
Last edited by Bert on Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fiftyonefifty

New

Post by fiftyonefifty » Fri May 07, 2010 9:09 pm

did all my pt's using the transferring after each passage/game and after two pages of LR. On the real deal, i somehow felt better doing it question by question. Don't think it hurt me since I scored what I was pt'ing.

legalized

Bronze

Post by legalized » Fri May 07, 2010 9:10 pm

BigA wrote:So I've just started to actually have a seperate sheet for bubbling when I do a PT. Probably should have doing this the whole time. I'm wondering what people's opinions are as to what the best method of bubbling is: After each question, after each page, after each section?

I also think it might be a good idea to have two pencils by me: one that is sharp for drawing and one that is really blunt for bubbling. I haven't tested this out yet, but I'm thinking a blunt pencil may be able to bubble faster than a sharp one. Thoughts?
Yes a blunt pencil draws a wider "path" for lack of a better word, and since the bubbles are small fills it faster than a fine point.

I personally have been shading them in as I go along, except for LG which I do as many as I can before about 3 to 2 minutes are left, then bubble them all in at the same time and do a straight choice for the ones I will run out of time for.

I am a little disappointed I can't speed up my LG completion. I am giving away plenty of points there.

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Fri May 07, 2010 9:24 pm

If your testing center has small desks or awkward writing spaces that just fit the test booklet but nothing else, it takes a small but noticeable about of time to bring up the scantron and bubble after you've decided on an answer in the book, so it's slightly faster to bubble in blocks rather than one-by-one. Also, if you skip around a little (as is common), bubbling in blocks makes you less likely to forget to skip lines on the answer sheet, because you're focused entirely on bubbling as you go. I bubble a game at a time, a passage at a time, and 2 pages of LR (so I can see it all in front of me at once) at a time.

Of course, as time runs down, you want to have all your answers on the answer sheet, so with only a few minutes left, you want to start bubbling one-by-one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Always Credited

Gold

Post by Always Credited » Fri May 07, 2010 9:29 pm

I bubble the entire section of the scantron first, and then change my answers as I go. In case you run out of time at least you haz answerz down!

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Fri May 07, 2010 9:38 pm

For pencils, I had several (and by that I mean about 10-12) that were sharpened and ready to be used. It was whatever was in the box that I bought at Staples and I really didn't care because I planned to walk out of the test without any pencils. As the pencils got dull, I just grabbed a sharp one out of the pile on the desk and put the dull one in a different pile. I never needed to worry about sharpening pencils or loosing time doing so. Generally speaking, I made it through the RC section with maybe two, each LR with two, and the games with four. For games, I got a new pencil after each game, because I wanted a sharp pencil to keep my sketches small. At the break, sharpen all pencils and repeat while the admin lady is handing out the tests after I cleared my head during the break. I did not use any break time to sharpen pencils.

:shock:

I brought 3 pencils and used 1. It never occurred to me to bring a pencil sharpener.

hellojd

Bronze

Post by hellojd » Sat May 08, 2010 4:49 pm

I was bubbling in after a few pages at a time, but was noticing that I would occasionally make a bubbling error.

I've started bubbling after each question, the risk of even one bubbling error is not worth a saved 30 seconds or something to me.

I use a sharp pencil for LG, since it helps for the diagrams, and a somewhat blunt pencil for other sections so bubbling is quicker.

Fenris

New

Post by Fenris » Sun May 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Can you use mechanical pencils?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

You Gotta Have Faith

Bronze

Post by You Gotta Have Faith » Sun May 09, 2010 1:50 pm

Fenris wrote:Can you use mechanical pencils?
http://www.lsac.org/LSAT/day-of-test.asp

I'd suggest reading their rules on everything in general. But indeed, mechanical pencils are prohibited. That's why I took a whole box of 12 with me.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Sun May 09, 2010 1:56 pm

rayiner wrote:I brought 3 pencils and used 1. It never occurred to me to bring a pencil sharpener.
I know, I got neurotic about it, but somebody freaked me out about the whole pencil thing, so as part of my PTing I kept trying to figure out what I needed and then bring more than I needed to be safe. I also write somewhat hard with pencils so I tend to wear them down abnormally quickly.
Fenris wrote:Can you use mechanical pencils?
No. You can only bring non-mechanical pencils to the test site, so you shouldn't get used to using mechanical pencils when you PT at home.

rbgrocio

Silver

Post by rbgrocio » Sun May 09, 2010 2:28 pm

BigA wrote:So I've just started to actually have a seperate sheet for bubbling when I do a PT. Probably should have doing this the whole time. I'm wondering what people's opinions are as to what the best method of bubbling is: After each question, after each page, after each section?

The LSAT is important but you are taking it wayyyy too serious...

yeff

Bronze

Post by yeff » Sun May 09, 2010 2:57 pm

What, you haven't learned by now to diagram logic games with one hand while bubbling with the other yet?

Good luck breaking 170 on the LSATTT with one hand, bub.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Sun May 09, 2010 3:01 pm

Somebody link the pencil analysis thread. Bubbling is srs bsns.

MoS

Bronze

Post by MoS » Sun May 09, 2010 3:14 pm

I did each page on LR, and each section on Reading and Games. As opposed to just filling out as I go. I think it saved time and prevented miss-bubbling.

motiontodismiss

Silver

Post by motiontodismiss » Sun May 09, 2010 4:44 pm

At the end of each game/passage/set/page.

I've been burned too many times by not having enough time.

jayn3

Silver

Post by jayn3 » Sun May 09, 2010 5:45 pm

srsly? you haven't figured out a bubbling system that works for you after 13 years of pre-college standardized tests??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”