Plateau busting

maxm2764

Plateau busting

Postby maxm2764 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:14 pm

Here's my pitiful story,
I have been PTing in the mid to high 150's for the past month and a half or so. I put in around 25 hours a weeks studying but can't seem to make any substantial improvements. My problem exists in the fact that I don't have any section that I'm particularly weak in. Please, any suggestions you may have that would help me get over the hump and ready for the June LSAT would be great. I'm starting to get incredibly frustrated with my lack of improvement even though I put in quality time studying for this test.

Thanks

Knock

Re: Plateau busting

Postby Knock » Wed May 05, 2010 11:21 pm

maxm2764 wrote:Here's my pitiful story,
I have been PTing in the mid to high 150's for the past month and a half or so. I put in around 25 hours a weeks studying but can't seem to make any substantial improvements. My problem exists in the fact that I don't have any section that I'm particularly weak in. Please, any suggestions you may have that would help me get over the hump and ready for the June LSAT would be great. I'm starting to get incredibly frustrated with my lack of improvement even though I put in quality time studying for this test.

Thanks

It sounds like you're trying to take on all 3 sections at once. Start with logic games, do them by type (there's a blog from a tutor in NYC that classifies them) until you have them down cold. If you haven't done the LG Bible, do that immediately, and review it as necessary. If you find one particular type of game gives you trouble, reference that chapter in the LGB. Once you have a solid grasp of logic games, and are just missing a few here and there, rinse and repeat with LR. For RC, it's harder to improve, but focus on that last and then just practice RC passages.

You got to take baby steps.

The Invisible Man

Postby The Invisible Man » Wed May 05, 2010 11:24 pm

am060459

Postby am060459 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:41 pm

Thanks

if your scoring in the mid to high 150s then you MUST have some sort of weakness. it can be equally spread or more profound in one/two sections.

im scoring in the high 150s and my weakness lie in the LR and RC camp.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 am

163/164's and I'm missing 10+ in LG each test. It sucks. Working on it.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:02 am

Sandro777 wrote:163/164's and I'm missing 10+ in LG each test. It sucks. Working on it.

man you got it nice, relatively speaking. out of all the sections you got the easiest one to improve on. have you tried on working on only three games? i would suggest that if you cant improve on timing. good luck.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu May 06, 2010 1:02 am

Thanks

If you're scoring in the mid-150s and none of the sections is significantly weaker than the rest, it means you are weak in all of them. You need to take a few days off... relax... and then attack each section one by one.

Don't touch a PT for the next month. Work on each problem slowly and don't time yourself. Dissect each question one by one, and figure out not only what the right answer is, but why the wrong answers are wrong.

The more you do this, the more you will start to see patterns developing. Once you start to really "know" the LSAT, you'll be able to read a question and immediately know what to look for. Knowing these patterns is so important, and you really can't get fast at the LSAT without knowing them. The better you know the problem types and what to look for, the faster and more efficiently you will work.

After a month or so of dissection and careful study, start timing yourself again and work on endurance. Finally, start doing PTs again and see where you are at. You will start noticing what your weaknesses are and then you can go back to the drawing board and attack them accordingly.

Good luck!

pilawpcv

Postby pilawpcv » Thu May 06, 2010 1:09 am

One thing I did to improve between my 1st and 2nd LSAT (158 to 164) was make a grid of the question types I missed the most. Like you, my sections in sum were mostly equal(ly bad!), but turns out that I was missing ALL the grouping logic games, the strengthen/weaken and main idea LR questions, etc.

To help you do this, use the Logic Games by Type list and the Logical Reasoning Spreadsheet on lsatblog.blogspot.com. Once you know which question types are not so great, you can focus on them. Once you see some improvement there, I bet your progress will snowball! :-)

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu May 06, 2010 1:49 am

am060459 wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:163/164's and I'm missing 10+ in LG each test. It sucks. Working on it.

man you got it nice, relatively speaking. out of all the sections you got the easiest one to improve on. have you tried on working on only three games? i would suggest that if you cant improve on timing. good luck.

gift and a curse. Sure a -0 is what between me and 170+... but I have to get that -0.

It took me a while to realize I never really got grouping games down. This results in me doing okay through 3 games and missing almost all of the 4th. I didn't even know how to approach grouping games. After reviewing the LG bible they have become more clear. I'm looking at alternate approaches to games now to help broaden my skills. I also have found hypotheticals work well for me.

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 am

Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely try to start attacking this beast in a different way after reading all of these posts. Thanks for all the well wishes as I can use all of them a month out from the big day.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Thu May 06, 2010 9:02 am

montage test prep

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPFCHuEegsk

In any LSAT if you want to go,
from just a beginner to a pro
You need a montage!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”