How important is the essay part of LSAT?

thomas85

How important is the essay part of LSAT?

Postby thomas85 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:15 am

I keep seeing a lot of conflicting information on the importance of the essay part of the LSAT. Some people have told me that it can be a key factor in whether or not you are accepted at some school while other people told me that they didn't even bother filling this part of the test out.

Kilpatrick

Re: How important is the essay part of LSAT?

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 am

Haha no you will not get accepted based on the writing part of the LSAT. Whoever told you that is a moron. The only importance I've heard of being placed on it is that if you actually don't do it, or just draw a picture or something, it might be a reason for an adcom to deny you.

thomas85

Postby thomas85 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:21 am

Sharking Jumping test ehhh?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Wed May 05, 2010 9:35 am

It's very important that you use actual english words, and that those words vaguely form something that looks like sentences. Beyond that, there is no importance what so ever.

JuTMSY4

Postby JuTMSY4 » Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 am

Important enough to do thoughtfully during that 4th hour...

Not important enough to practice and definitely not important enough to practice more than once.

mrm2083

Postby mrm2083 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:18 am

I got into both my reach and my top target with a terrible essay. I knew I had done really well on the LSAT and used up all my energy so I literally just wrote something and gave up for that essay.

ShibaDan

Postby ShibaDan » Wed May 05, 2010 10:18 am

basic 5th grade writing persuasive skills will ensure it doesn't hurt you at all. Even if it's the best piece of writing you'v ever written I don't think it will help much.

Lucidity

Postby Lucidity » Wed May 05, 2010 10:20 am

Echoing what everyone else said. You should do it to the best of your abilities, but do not stress out about it and certainly do not waste your time preparing for this section. Once you get to the essay section, this should be your wind down and relax time. Sit back, pat yourself on the back for finishing the previous sections, and pop out a few paragraphs of legible english.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed May 05, 2010 11:13 am

I remember when I did my Kaplan course and everyone made a big deal out of the essay.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:48 pm

I forgot that it existed till I saw this thread.

notanumber

Postby notanumber » Wed May 05, 2010 12:59 pm

I wrote an intentionally absurd argument, cracked sarcastic jokes, and made ridiculous references to various pop-cultural phenomena throughout my essay (celebrities making an appearance in my essay included The Simpsons, Lady Gaga, Chef Boyardee, and Thomas Kinkade).

Basically I had a lot of fun with the essay as a way to blow-off steam after the grueling LSAT.

Which leads me to suspect that it doesn't matter one whit. Just don't write blatantly offensive stuff and you'll be fine.

Bert

Postby Bert » Wed May 05, 2010 1:13 pm

And I think you actually need to write something (no matter how loose your answer is). I think the LSAC reserves the right to cancel your test if it does not appear that you attempted to make an argument.

Fast_Fingers

Postby Fast_Fingers » Wed May 05, 2010 1:19 pm

It doesn't figure into the score. My guess is that it's a way for the LSAC people to know you actually were writing at that moment. I had a decent essay, but it isn't much to worry about. The personal statement is the big essay to worry about.

swimbrad

Postby swimbrad » Wed May 05, 2010 1:22 pm

From an ad-com friend of mine:
We don't even read them, b/c they are written in pencil, then photocopied/scanned to us, most of the time the pencil gets smeared during transit and thus are illegible.
The only way it'll hurt you is if you don't do anything, or draw silly pictures

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:55 pm

swimbrad wrote:From an ad-com friend of mine:
We don't even read them, b/c they are written in pencil, then photocopied/scanned to us, most of the time the pencil gets smeared during transit and thus are illegible.

From this I infer that it is okay to draw pictures, as long as they aren't silly.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Wed May 05, 2010 1:56 pm

bk1 wrote:

From this I infer that it is okay to draw pictures, as long as they aren't silly.

Inference Credited.

legalized

Postby legalized » Wed May 05, 2010 9:55 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Inference Credited.

LMAO

I am glad I read this...because I knew it wasn't that serious, but not that it was completely NOT serious (aside from following instructions and writing one, that is).

I have been wasting 35 minutes of sleep time. Cutting that out starting tonight.

yourstruly87

Postby yourstruly87 » Wed May 05, 2010 10:04 pm

It's not as important as everyone makes it out to be, however I would still do it to the best of my ability. I know someone who was waitlisted for a school and they told her they would examine her written portion of the LSAT and compare it to other students in order to make their next decision.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”