Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

pegpog8
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby pegpog8 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:32 pm

So, I already took the LSAT 3 times (BAD idea, I know). I've been waitlisted at the schools I'm hoping for. I'm thinking I might just wait another year and reapply for 2010-2011 but I want to retake the LSAT. According to LSAC the next LSAT I can take is in Feb 2011.
Is there any possible way I would be able to take it in December 2010?

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby autarkh » Tue May 04, 2010 11:56 pm

pegpog8 wrote:So, I already took the LSAT 3 times (BAD idea, I know). I've been waitlisted at the schools I'm hoping for. I'm thinking I might just wait another year and reapply for 2010-2011 but I want to retake the LSAT. According to LSAC the next LSAT I can take is in Feb 2011.
Is there any possible way I would be able to take it in December 2010?


Yes.

Get a waiver from a school that has waitlisted you. Send an e-mail directly to admissions and request it. Try with the school you care least about, and gradually move up the pecking order.

One is bound to give you the waiver, which they'll send to LSAC. Then, all you have to do is register by phone (you won't be able to do it online).

You can request June, October, or December. Once you have the waiver, I don't think it will matter.

EDIT: if you are going to ask a school, say you want to take it in June. I doubt the waiver will specify when you have to take it, but you might not want to give them the impression you're not going this year.
Last edited by autarkh on Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

pegpog8
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby pegpog8 » Tue May 04, 2010 11:59 pm

THANK YOU!!!

I shall definitely try that tomorrow. :D

pegpog8
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby pegpog8 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:01 am

Sorry, one more question. What if, by chance they don't give me the waiver? I'm only waitlisted at 3 schools. Is there another way?

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby autarkh » Wed May 05, 2010 12:03 am

Technically, any school can grant it. I would do it with one of those because you already have a relationship with them -- but you could try requesting it from any school you might apply to. Just say you feel your score doesn't reflect your true potential and you are interested in applying for admission next year. Most will just give it to you. It doesn't cost them anything.

shock259
Posts: 1737
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:30 am

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby shock259 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:38 am

If a waiver is granted, does the 4th LSAT you take be considered by all schools and not just the one that granted you the waiver?

IE if you get Suffolk to grant you a waiver for a 4th try, then pull out a 179, can you ED to Virginia with that score next cycle?

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby autarkh » Wed May 05, 2010 12:43 am

shock259 wrote:If a waiver is granted, does the 4th LSAT you take be considered by all schools and not just the one that granted you the waiver?

IE if you get Suffolk to grant you a waiver for a 4th try, then pull out a 179, can you ED to Virginia with that score next cycle?


A reportable LSAT score is a reportable LSAT score is a reportable LSAT score (EDIT) is a reportable LSAT score.

(4 times, just for good measure :mrgreen: )

pegpog8
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:35 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby pegpog8 » Wed May 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I emailed a school I was waitlisted on last night and got rejected. Said they adhere to LSAC's policy of numbering the times a person can take the LSAC. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe I should try sending a letter to the Dean?

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 458
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby Bert » Wed May 05, 2010 1:10 pm

autarkh wrote:Technically, any school can grant it. I would do it with one of those because you already have a relationship with them -- but you could try requesting it from any school you might apply to. Just say you feel your score doesn't reflect your true potential and you are interested in applying for admission next year. Most will just give it to you. It doesn't cost them anything.


Not to be the dick that says this [and OP I am not directing this at you] but I've been wondering this for a while. If somebody has taken the LSAT three times how can you legitimately claim that the scores currently on your account do not represent your true potential, or, conversely, how can you claim that the one jump in your scores is the one that is most indicative of your true potential, especially when there are three scores that indicate (presumably) the opposite? I could see it working with one LSAT under your belt, maybe two, but not three or four, or is the reason it works merely because law schools are so eager for high LSATs that they are willing to believe anything written to them (within reason)?

edited a couple times -- damn, I gotta learn to type better.

dynomite
Posts: 143
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby dynomite » Wed May 05, 2010 3:23 pm

Bert wrote:is the reason it works merely because law schools are so eager for high LSATs that they [strike]are willing to believe anything written to them (within reason)[/strike] don't care


I think this matters in a number of cases. It's a US News & World Report World, we're just living in it.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby autarkh » Wed May 05, 2010 5:09 pm

pegpog8 wrote:I emailed a school I was waitlisted on last night and got rejected. Said they adhere to LSAC's policy of numbering the times a person can take the LSAC. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Maybe I should try sending a letter to the Dean?


Try again with another school. If they have a policy, there's no sense in fighting it at the same time as you try to get off a WL.

User avatar
autarkh
Posts: 314
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:05 pm

Re: Is it possible to take the LSAT more than 3 times

Postby autarkh » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

Bert wrote:
autarkh wrote:Technically, any school can grant it. I would do it with one of those because you already have a relationship with them -- but you could try requesting it from any school you might apply to. Just say you feel your score doesn't reflect your true potential and you are interested in applying for admission next year. Most will just give it to you. It doesn't cost them anything.


Not to be the dick that says this [and OP I am not directing this at you] but I've been wondering this for a while. If somebody has taken the LSAT three times how can you legitimately claim that the scores currently on your account do not represent your true potential, or, conversely, how can you claim that the one jump in your scores is the one that is most indicative of your true potential, especially when there are three scores that indicate (presumably) the opposite? I could see it working with one LSAT under your belt, maybe two, but not three or four, or is the reason it works merely because law schools are so eager for high LSATs that they are willing to believe anything written to them (within reason)?

edited a couple times -- damn, I gotta learn to type better.


Hehe about the editing. I'm the same way.

I think the point is that the OP has to put something in the letter -- and it's better to be vague than to make shit up (unless, of course, he/she's been hit three times by incredibly bad luck or circumstances). Schools want the score. Obviously, a 179 on the 4th attempt isn't going to be as impressive as one on the first attempt but, ultimately, the 179 is what they get to report.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Alexandros, dontsaywhatyoumean, Google [Bot], tracy9524 and 5 guests