Warm-ups during practice? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Confused&Pissed

New

Warm-ups during practice?

Post by Confused&Pissed » Tue May 04, 2010 9:27 pm

If I am planning on doing a short warm-up on game day to get my brain all jazzed up, should I integrate warm-ups into my study schedule? I am trying to simulate test day as accurately as possible with the practice PT's, and don't know if I should add the warm-ups? thoughts? suggestions? experience with this?

Knock

Platinum

Re: Warm-ups during practice?

Post by Knock » Tue May 04, 2010 10:21 pm

Confused&Pissed wrote:If I am planning on doing a short warm-up on game day to get my brain all jazzed up, should I integrate warm-ups into my study schedule? I am trying to simulate test day as accurately as possible with the practice PT's, and don't know if I should add the warm-ups? thoughts? suggestions? experience with this?
I've thought about this as well. What i'll probably end up doing is a single logic game to warm up. I think that's enough to get my engine revved up, but won't tire me out.

chaupa

New

Post by chaupa » Tue May 04, 2010 10:37 pm

I personally found that warmups had the potential of straining my brain if I went too hard. I would suggest stretching before you do anything too strenuous. Also a good cool down after the test is ideal to maintain optimum mental fitness levels.

Confused&Pissed

New

Post by Confused&Pissed » Wed May 05, 2010 12:44 am

I think I might try one logic game and 3 LR questions. I have a hard time with mental fatigue...

chaupa

New

Post by chaupa » Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 am

Two things:

First, I was really hoping someone could set me up for the punchline by asking how one does mental cool-downs (watch Fox news).

And secondly, do whatever works for you as far as test-taking methodology but I find that it is better to calmly think about what you are going to do, the way you are going to approach the test, while clearing your mind of other things. I'm a great test taker and I find that when I don't take some time to relax pre-test things go poorly. My suggestion is to get plenty of sleep, wake up early, take your time getting ready and getting to the site. While you're in the car is a good time for a little self-pep talk, reflect on past successes or failures (whatever motivates you) and don't think too much until you open the damn booklet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Wed May 05, 2010 9:42 am

I did three LR Qs in the lobby outside the test room and it seemed like the perfect amount. either way you have to sit in the class room doing nothing for 45 mins before the exam while they finger print everyone (time which I used to eat all my snacks).

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed May 05, 2010 9:45 am

There has been a post on here about this recently, but beginning a daily meditation routine at least a couple of weeks will help to both increase performance as well as decrease anxiety. I have been practicing meditation since before I decided to take the lsat, but not really to the extent that I am now. I just recently increased it to 20 minutes a day, with proper posture/form and minimizing distractions, and I have already felt my performance increase. Not to mention that I feel calmer and more focused throughout the day, doing non-lsat prep stuff.

So, I have a morning routine that I have developed for test day, that involves 30 minutes of cardio, 20 minutes of meditation, and a breakfast high in protein, fat, and complex carbs. That, and a 5 hour energy about 30-45 minutes before I take a practice test. While I don't replicate this every day, I try and at least do the cardio and the meditation every day before I start practicing. I also have some pain in my shoulder than is exacerbated by sitting at a desk hunched over for any length of time, so for me the exercise serves two purposes (I do the rowing machine, which loosens up my neck and shoulders).

And yeah, I've also found that doing a familiar game or two prior to taking a preptest kind of gets my brain in gear.

lostjake

Bronze

Post by lostjake » Wed May 05, 2010 9:54 am

Before I took the test I did a whole LR section in my car about an hour or so before walking into the test center, it really helped calm me down.

Dinho

New

Post by Dinho » Thu May 06, 2010 9:47 am

Knockglock wrote:
Confused&Pissed wrote:If I am planning on doing a short warm-up on game day to get my brain all jazzed up, should I integrate warm-ups into my study schedule? I am trying to simulate test day as accurately as possible with the practice PT's, and don't know if I should add the warm-ups? thoughts? suggestions? experience with this?
I've thought about this as well. What i'll probably end up doing is a single logic game to warm up. I think that's enough to get my engine revved up, but won't tire me out.
I've been told that just diagramming a game is a good warm-up; it gets you in the proper mode, but doesn't lead to frustration if a question takes too long or stumps you (something I imagine could seriously throw you off on test day)

I think I'm going to go with that and do a couple different LR questions, and maybe read/annotate a RC passage.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrobby6

Bronze

Post by jrobby6 » Thu May 06, 2010 9:55 am

I think warm-ups are a great idea. It helps put your brain back into the swing of things. But I highly recommend that you do questions that you have done before because if you do them cold you may stress yourself especially if you get them wrong.

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Thu May 06, 2010 4:04 pm

Do exactly what you do when you take a practice test. Test day is not the time to try out new strategies...

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Thu May 06, 2010 4:07 pm

jrobby6 wrote:I think warm-ups are a great idea. It helps put your brain back into the swing of things.
This. but don't check to see whether you got the answer right or wrong -- horrible way to enter the test site if you realize you made a mistake. Do the problems to get warmed up and then enter the site and continue to kick ass.

EDIT: I know that OP is talking about practice tests, but you should really be trying to mimic the test day environment even during your practice tests.

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Thu May 06, 2010 4:25 pm

Back when I was studying for the LSAT, I would do one of my favorite logic games in the mornings before studying (and in fact ended up doing that before the test too).

A. I really enjoyed doing the logic games, so when I was getting warmed up they would get me into the mood for the rest of the test

B. They were a real confidence-builder for me b/c I never really forgot logic games I had already tackled.

hth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”