Need advice - should I retake LSAT in June?

seattlite
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Need advice - should I retake LSAT in June?

Postby seattlite » Tue May 04, 2010 1:57 pm

So, I need advice, and I need to make a decision ASAP (within the next 1-2 hours) about whether to take the June LSAT.

All the test centers in my area are full so if I take it, it will be up in the air as to where I take it until ~10 days before the test. :roll: It could be at:

(1) a site I previously took the LSAT at and disliked tremendously taking the test there (e.g. too much negative energy, small tables, unfriendly staff, etc); or
(2) a site that I previously took the LSAT at where I found the location to be a wonderful place for taking the test (e.g. great staff, huge desks, etc); or
(3) a new site that they will open up (e.g. hotel, etc) that could be good or bad.

I have not really started to study in depth for the LSAT again since December because I just found out that I could retake it (got a school to sponsor me for taking it more than 3 times in 2 years). If I take the June exam, I would plan on devoting at least 3-5 hours per day from now until then on studying (including time spent with a organized prep test company, Knewton).

I am not a morning person at all and all the real LSATs I have taken have been in the morning so I think that taking the test in the afternoon would potentially increase my score significantly. In practice tests and even on the real LSAT, my scores have fluctuated tremendously (like 10+ points) depending on my concentration level, nervousness, time of day that I take the tests, etc.

The reason I have for possibly taking the LSAT again is to: (1) possibly get off some waitlists (hopefully with $); and / or (2) increase the scholarship at the school I submitted my deposit to.

My highest real LSAT is 162. My highest practice LSAT is 173 with scores ranging from about 158-173. I feel like if I am able to get over my test anxiety and with taking the test in the afternoon (if I were to take it at a reasonable location) then I likely could get 165+.

I am confused. I really don't want to take the bloody test again, but I also don't want to second guess myself. The test site being a ? until right before the LSAT bothers me. Thoughts? Advice? What would you do? :?: :shock:

legalized
Posts: 317
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 am

Re: Need advice - should I retake LSAT in June?

Postby legalized » Tue May 04, 2010 5:06 pm

seattlite wrote:So, I need advice, and I need to make a decision ASAP (within the next 1-2 hours) about whether to take the June LSAT.

All the test centers in my area are full so if I take it, it will be up in the air as to where I take it until ~10 days before the test. :roll: It could be at:

(1) a site I previously took the LSAT at and disliked tremendously taking the test there (e.g. too much negative energy, small tables, unfriendly staff, etc); or
(2) a site that I previously took the LSAT at where I found the location to be a wonderful place for taking the test (e.g. great staff, huge desks, etc); or
(3) a new site that they will open up (e.g. hotel, etc) that could be good or bad.

I have not really started to study in depth for the LSAT again since December because I just found out that I could retake it (got a school to sponsor me for taking it more than 3 times in 2 years). If I take the June exam, I would plan on devoting at least 3-5 hours per day from now until then on studying (including time spent with a organized prep test company, Knewton).

I am not a morning person at all and all the real LSATs I have taken have been in the morning so I think that taking the test in the afternoon would potentially increase my score significantly. In practice tests and even on the real LSAT, my scores have fluctuated tremendously (like 10+ points) depending on my concentration level, nervousness, time of day that I take the tests, etc.

The reason I have for possibly taking the LSAT again is to: (1) possibly get off some waitlists (hopefully with $); and / or (2) increase the scholarship at the school I submitted my deposit to.

My highest real LSAT is 162. My highest practice LSAT is 173 with scores ranging from about 158-173. I feel like if I am able to get over my test anxiety and with taking the test in the afternoon (if I were to take it at a reasonable location) then I likely could get 165+.

I am confused. I really don't want to take the bloody test again, but I also don't want to second guess myself. The test site being a ? until right before the LSAT bothers me. Thoughts? Advice? What would you do? :?: :shock:


Number 1 was to ask the school who sponsored you if they increase scholarships for people already admitted who come back with a more competitive LSAT score. If your money stays the same be glad you got in somewhere and start working on fastweb.com scholarships or something.

If you should retake, consider any state near you or near family or good friends that still has open spots. Go out there for a 4 day weekend (Friday to Monday, June 7) and take the test comfortably knowing where you are going to be.

Or simply drive to the nearest small city one state over that still has open slots.

I really had no idea June was SO hypercompetitive. I hope so many people taking it at once is better for my curve and not worse!




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Instrumental, LAW1995 and 18 guests