I keep giving away easy points on LR

iwanta170

I keep giving away easy points on LR

Postby iwanta170 » Sun May 02, 2010 5:57 pm

I've been averaging around 7 questions wrong on a logical reasoning section and usually I finish right on time. I always re-do the questions I missed after doing a section, and usually get 3-5 of those 7 correct the second time. Often on the ones I get right the second time, I notice that I got the question wrong because I read over a small word that made all the difference in the answer (for example, the word "slight" in a parallel question). Or, I will realize I just totally misunderstood an aspect of a question the first time because I read over it too fast or I wasn't thinking about the big picture. With the questions I get right the second time, I almost always ask myself why I got such an easy question wrong.

In terms of catching the small things and even understanding the big picture immediately, how can I be sharper the first time? I've gone over so many practice problems from this section, but sometimes when I am in timed conditions I read things too quickly and don't stop and think. I am getting some easy questions wrong, and I think if I found a way to get on the ball, I am capable of averaging 1-2 questions wrong in this section. What's your advice on how I can improve here? Thanks.

iwanta170

Re: I keep giving away easy points on LR

Postby iwanta170 » Sun May 02, 2010 9:42 pm

bump

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Sun May 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Get your hands on as many previous lsats as possible, if you haven't already. Instead of doing all the LR sections timed, start doing some of them untimed, taking as much time as necessary to figure out what the right answer is and why the other answers are wrong. I started doing this in addition to timed sections, and I am down to a consistent -1 from what was -4 on timed LR sections. Take the time necessary to develop familiarity with the question types and the timed sections will start to improve. This has been my experience at least.

jjlaw

Postby jjlaw » Mon May 03, 2010 12:06 am

If you can get your hands on Kaplan's LSAT Mastery, I'd highly recommend it. It organizes questions by type. I worked through the problems untimed and was able to reduce -14 to -4/5 for both sections combined.

rsuelzer

Postby rsuelzer » Mon May 03, 2010 12:48 am

I have taken three practice sections from offical LSAT's. I got -4, -3, and -4 with 5 minutes to spare on all of them... Were these just easy sections? I am not smart.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon May 03, 2010 9:35 pm

rsuelzer wrote:I have taken three practice sections from offical LSAT's. I got -4, -3, and -4 with 5 minutes to spare on all of them... Were these just easy sections? I am not smart.

At the risk of exhausting one of TLS's favorite cliches, maybe you should reconsider law school.

Seriously though, if you're missing that many and finishing with 5 minutes left, you need to figure out what you're doing wrong and pay more attention. Figure out what kind of question types trip you up, and slow down a little bit. Get the Powerscore LR bible if you haven't already.

Or don't go take the test or go to law school if you're "not smart". There are already enough people who aren't smart trying to get in/going to law school. I hear costco has some pretty competitive wages and good benefits.

quasi-stellar

Postby quasi-stellar » Tue May 04, 2010 1:23 am

I can totally relate :( Just completed test 46 and got -11 on both LR combined, and I seriously feel like half of them I should have gotten EASILY!
What's more, no particular patterns! just real dumb mistakes of reasoning. Hopefully the rest of the tests will help to overcome these obstacles.

I really think its possible, because there are usually about 4-5 questions tops per both sections in every test that actually mystify me while I am working through them with timing (usually finish earlier though).
I mean, I could live with that as long as I get everything else correct.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue May 04, 2010 8:35 am

What I have found, especially with the newer tests (40+) is that on the ones that really stump me, it is often one modifying word that changes the nature of the argument. Words like primarily, mostly, maximally, often/usually etc, that in casual conversation we tend (at least I do) to overlook the actual significance of in relation to what we're talking about. "Usually" means more than half, "often" does not, etc. Obviously this is not a revolutionary approach, but it helps me to really dissect the importance of every word.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”