law school admissions Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jets5

New

law school admissions

Post by jets5 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:01 pm

im currently a junior at georgetown university with a 2.7 gpa but haven't taken the lasts yet and was looking to see what my best options would be for getting into a law school in the ny/nj/philly area? any tips would be great

doinmybest

Bronze

Re: law school admissions

Post by doinmybest » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:58 pm

jets5 wrote:im currently a junior at georgetown university with a 2.7 gpa but haven't taken the lasts yet and was looking to see what my best options would be for getting into a law school in the ny/nj/philly area? any tips would be great
Your low GPA will make it very difficult to break into the T14. Without knowing what your preferences are, what you want to study and some conception of the most important factor in law school admisisons (LSAT Score) this question is impossible to answer. There are nearly a hundred law schools in that area, if you want the list narrowed down then give some more specifics.

jets5

New

Post by jets5 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 pm

i mean hypothetically id be hoping to get a 165 on the lsat and would be willing to take a year or 2 off and get working experience to take some heat off of my gpa...i know its a tough question im posing but realistically id be hoping to get into a rather solid school such as rutgers newark, seton hall, brooklyn, nysl, temple, etc...

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:20 pm

jets5 wrote:i mean hypothetically id be hoping to get a 165 on the lsat and would be willing to take a year or 2 off and get working experience to take some heat off of my gpa...i know its a tough question im posing but realistically id be hoping to get into a rather solid school such as rutgers newark, seton hall, brooklyn, nysl, temple, etc...
None of those are solid schools. Study as hard as you can for the LSAT. Come back with your score, then people can give you real advice.

hank44

New

Post by hank44 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Most on this site wouldn't consider those schools "pretty solid" you have plenty of time to research and figure out what schools you'd ultimately consider going to though...that said, work experience/time off will only help a little...the LSAT/GPA combo is basically 90% or more of what decides your fate (less if you're a URM of course). It might seem like the easy answer, but its the right one: do as well as you can, see what range of schools that score puts you in, then consider options at that point...dont get your hopes up for a school and assume youll get that 165 (could get 155, could get 170 - you have no idea until you take it)...good luck

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

javajoe

New

Post by javajoe » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:27 pm

First off, you are a junior. Do whatever you have to do (aside from cheating, etc of course) to get your GPA up. Ace your senior year, and not only will you get your GPA up some, you will be able to demonstrate improved performance, which helps for borderline situations.

Also, have you looked into how the LSAC calculates GPA for the purposes of law school admissions. You need to take a look at that and find out what your "real" GPA is- it may or may not be the same as how it is calculated by your school. This may help: http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ulator.htm

Once you have that figured out, take a look at this site and some of the others out there.
http://www.lawschoolpredictor.com/wp-co ... ograms.htm

It will let you play around with numbers to get an idea. It shouldn't be taken too literally, so dont assume an admit or deny just because this calculator says so. But it helps to see what you are up against.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:30 pm

Your thread topic is too general. You should pick a more specific title for your thread. You would have a much better response rate.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”