3 Years Before Taking the LSAT

Lofty Goals

3 Years Before Taking the LSAT

Postby Lofty Goals » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 pm

This might seem rather silly, but I plan to take the LSAT in about 3 years after getting some work experience (employment contract was signed before I determined that I wanted to attend law school :roll: )

Anyway, I don't want to start studying in the classic sense of the word until approximately 4 months prior to the exam. What can I do on a daily basis while working full-time that will prepare me for the exam?

Although I'm sure that eating healthy and exercising regularly will help, I am looking for more intellectual exercises such as reading the Economist for 45 minutes a day in addition to solving some sort of puzzle for 30 minutes. However, a suggested regimen can be much more specific than that.

I'll be very appreciative of any genuine advice that you can offer. Thank you in advance for any help that you can provide. It would be so nice to do something daily that makes me feel as though I'm making progress towards my ultimate goal of attending a T14 law school.

dakatz

Re: 3 Years Before Taking the LSAT

Postby dakatz » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:31 pm

Daily reading of somewhat dense materials can't hurt. I found sudoku puzzles helpful at times while going through the logic games. Three years is so far off that it might as well be in another lifetime for you. I really wouldn't worry about it at all just yet.

Mrs. Jack Donaghy

Postby Mrs. Jack Donaghy » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Lofty Goals wrote:
Although I'm sure that eating healthy and exercising regularly will help, I am looking for more intellectual exercises such as reading the Economist for 45 minutes a day in addition to solving some sort of puzzle for 30 minutes. However, a suggested regimen can be much more specific than that.

Those two strategies will help increase your reading comprehension and cognitive abilities. In all honesty though, I'm not sure that spending 3 years thinking about the LSAT will be very good for you. Anyway, one tip: learn to read dense texts and try to apply some LSAT reading comp questions to the text, i.e. see if you can find the main point, etc.

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Here is what I did years out (albiet unknowingly) that have contributed to my satisfaction while preparing for the June LSAT.

1) Took 4 semesters of Ancient Greek
2) Learned to play Chess competitively
3) Read. A lot.
4) Took an UG course on Logic, and on Argumentation

However, I feel I most benefitted from Greek as it greatly increased my RC which not only is one section of the test, but is foundationally involved in the LR sections. If you can't absorb and understand what you are reading, you will lose time.

But I'll let you know in a few months how I do so you can guage my response more effectively!

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:45 pm

If you've got that much time, then you want to build the skills that the LSAT is testing, so you come in with a higher baseline diagnostic score. If you're not actually in school, then I have less specific advice for you, but don't let anyone deter you from working on those core skills. They involve reading and critical thinking, and pretty much anything that trains your ability to read complex texts efficiently and analyze the logic of arguments will be useful.

Lofty Goals

Postby Lofty Goals » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 am

Thank you for the suggestions. I agree that thinking about the LSAT for 3 years in advance could actually be detrimental to me. That being said, I will try to read a lot and maybe take up chess in the meantime.

Keep the suggestions coming though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”