Reading Comp Question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
poo

New

Reading Comp Question

Post by poo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:10 am

I was trying the PS method for rc and it always took me way too long to finish the passages. Then I started reading without any markings and have been getting consistently better. Has anybody else had success with not marking anything?

tartugas

New

Re: Reading Comp Question

Post by tartugas » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:38 am

I think RC comes down to individual style more than any other section on the LSAT. The passages are so long and packed with so much info, it's difficult to come up with a single strategy to attack them that will work for every test taker. I'm doing BP online and struggling with their whole methodology, but I do like skeleton of it and will probably use that when tackling the RC.

If you're a fast reader, then I think you have a little more leeway in coming up with your own strategy for attacking the RC section. But if you can't get through a passage in <2.5 mins and have at the very least an idea of the overall structure and and main points of the passage, then you might want to look at a few different RC strategies and fine one that works for you.

andreea7

Bronze

Post by andreea7 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:09 pm

poo wrote:I was trying the PS method for rc and it always took me way too long to finish the passages. Then I started reading without any markings and have been getting consistently better. Has anybody else had success with not marking anything?
I didn't mark anything. It's a little hard to tell what will be important because the questions can be all over the place.

poo

New

Post by poo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:24 pm

andreea7 wrote:
poo wrote:I was trying the PS method for rc and it always took me way too long to finish the passages. Then I started reading without any markings and have been getting consistently better. Has anybody else had success with not marking anything?
I didn't mark anything. It's a little hard to tell what will be important because the questions can be all over the place.

What was your score on rc, if you don't mind me asking?

quasi-stellar

New

Post by quasi-stellar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:22 pm

I found that marking certain things in the passage while reading substantially increased my overall understanding of the text.
This way my reading becomes more focused and I consistently get 21-22 questions correct per section.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fiathebia

New

Post by fiathebia » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

The PowerScore method takes too long for me too. I can literally spend 7-8 minutes just on reading and marking. I've decided to stop their method (basically throw the entire RC Bible out the window) and just star/circle the main point, author opinion, etc., and then do the 2-3 word paragraph summaries. By doing this I can usually finish a passage in time.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:53 pm

One strange thing I do for all the passages is draw a line after each paragraph, extending all the the way to the left-end of the page. This helps me visually break down each paragraph. I then read each paragraph like it's a separate passage. I write a key word or two in the left margin about each paragraph. But the words are relevant to the types of questions normally asked. For instance, the 1st paragraph might state a common belief and refute it. So, I'll just write something like "Refute (Insert belief)". Paragraph two might give an argument of a person. I'll simply circle the person's name and write "good/bad argument." Usually the final paragraph deals with a future implication, so I write "Future takeaway."

This strategy really helps with time. You can easily locate where information is located. I think the difference between scoring very high and scoring well, is how well you retain the information and are able to put it in your own thoughts. All the inference questions force you to really "know" the topic. The Except questions force you to retain information in each paragraph.

LSATclincher

Bronze

Post by LSATclincher » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:03 am

One more thing for time:

I do the passage with the most questions, first. And the passage with the least questions, last. I've noticed there is usually one passage that only has maybe 4-5 questions. If you're REALLY pressed for time, you could kill a passage with a short number of questions in roughly 5 mins.

Another strategy could be to take the comparison passage first, if you find that easier. I, particularly, do. You can easily anticipate questions as you read this type of passage. If you know you always do well on them, you might as well ensure yourself that you will complete that passage fully by doing it first.

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:13 am

LSATclincher wrote:One more thing for time:

I do the passage with the most questions, first. And the passage with the least questions, last. I've noticed there is usually one passage that only has maybe 4-5 questions. If you're REALLY pressed for time, you could kill a passage with a short number of questions in roughly 5 mins.

Another strategy could be to take the comparison passage first, if you find that easier. I, particularly, do. You can easily anticipate questions as you read this type of passage. If you know you always do well on them, you might as well ensure yourself that you will complete that passage fully by doing it first.
The only problem I have with saving the passage with 4-5 question for last is that it is usually an easier passage IMO.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

smoneill88

Bronze

Post by smoneill88 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

New to the forums, but had similar problems with RC up until literally last week.

I did the "marathon" of RC problems, and I have to say, IT TOTALLY WORKS.

You really have to find your own groove and technique. Everyone's brains work differently, yes, everyone's, so take that into account and find your own personal technique. In my opinion, RC is the only section you cannot "learn", however, you can adapt your OWN technique for optimal performance. Had a friend do the same marathon with me, and she ended up going the exact opposite route as me. My style, apparently, is just reading through the passage, maybe making a few notes (the only notes I really make are little boxes around names so that I can find em quickly), her style ended up being much more intricate, with outlines, summaries, etc. DO A MARATHON OF AT LEAST 5 SECTIONS (4 passages each), AND YOU WILL FIND YOUR OWN TECHNIQUE/GROOVE. All brains work differently. Since I'm a slow reader, I need to speed through the reading and just trust my gut on the questions (I find that honestly just trusting what sounds right to me intuitively has produced great results, may be different for you, but again, the marathon helped me figure this out).

2 cents offered.

Sean

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Sat May 01, 2010 11:18 pm

I was putting off doing the marathon, but now that all of you have endorsed it I guess I have no choice.

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Sun May 02, 2010 12:26 am

I've found that circling transitional phrases and underlining words that hint to the author's tone have really helped me focus on what the overall passage is about. Instead of getting bogged down with details, I just get an overall gist of what each paragraph is about and then go back if I need to look for something specific. It has helped me reduce errors from -7 to -4/5, which isn't great, but I'm still working on it. :)

afa_brandon

New

Post by afa_brandon » Sun May 02, 2010 12:39 am

i average -1 to -3 a section. i read the passage in 4-4.5 minutes, which i understand is slow compared to others. while i read, i make sure that i understand each sentence, re-reading as necessary, and circle all definitions, names, indications of author's opinions (ie, qualitative adjectives) and anything that seems crux-esque.

then i go through the questions from memory, hoping like hell i circled the right stuff should i need to reference the material :)

i think this works well for me because i usually have a little familiarity with the subject matter (except arts sections), and parli debate gave me a lot of practice in rushed reading-comp

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”