Powerscore vs Testmasters

User avatar
mikialjan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby mikialjan » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:04 pm

Things have not gone according to plan. I plan on writing the LSAT this October of 2010. The plan was to order all 4 PS Bibles and study them for 3 months and then enroll with testmasters in July. Had a car accident and shattered my upper teeth (looks funny) and my chin bone. So the self-study of PS Bibles are not going according to plan as I'm knocked out for the most part of the day with a metal brace around my face lol.

Anyway, moving forward, I have heard great things about the PS Bible books and would like to cover them. But would it make any sense if I took testmasters course AND self-studied the PS bibles on my own simultaneously? Or should I just enroll with Powerscore course that will be covering the books anyway? Or perhaps I should just take testmasters course and leave the PS bibles alone? My diagnostic was in the low 140's, but I'm a super fast learner and will not be working during the LSAT prep course. Please advise. I feel like I've waisted so much time already.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby am060459 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:20 pm

hope you feel better.

i suggest, as i did, take the TM course and supplement it with the PS bibles. after the lessons you can read the corresponding chapters and do the TM homework. i would advise against doing the end of chapters PS questions because they are from newer exams. if you need more practice on questions try getting your hands on the kaplan mastery or use this site (http://www.cambridgelsat.com/category/lsat/by_Type/8). although the TM homwork and TM supplemental stuff online (please print this before the course ends becuase they disconnect your access to it after the course ends) will be enough.

User avatar
MSachmorov
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:32 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby MSachmorov » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:30 pm

am060459 wrote:hope you feel better.

i suggest, as i did, take the TM course and supplement it with the PS bibles. after the lessons you can read the corresponding chapters and do the TM homework. i would advise against doing the end of chapters PS questions because they are from newer exams. if you need more practice on questions try getting your hands on the kaplan mastery or use this site (http://www.cambridgelsat.com/category/lsat/by_Type/8). although the TM homwork and TM supplemental stuff online (please print this before the course ends becuase they disconnect your access to it after the course ends) will be enough.



This is exactly what I am doing. Work through the bibles before the course and then during the course, after each lecture, go back and read the section in the corresponding bible. Don't be afraid that their methods are too different because they're not. Good luck, and I hope you feel better!

User avatar
mikialjan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby mikialjan » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:18 am

Thanks.

am060459, do you think 3 hours per day would be adequate to study the TM material and PS bible along side with it? And how well did it work out for you?

User avatar
LawLucy
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:02 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby LawLucy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:33 pm

mikialjan wrote:Thanks.

am060459, do you think 3 hours per day would be adequate to study the TM material and PS bible along side with it? And how well did it work out for you?


TM & PS are entirely different in their approach...studying from both will confuse you.
I have taken both and love, love, love PS

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby am060459 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:20 pm

mikialjan wrote:Thanks.

am060459, do you think 3 hours per day would be adequate to study the TM material and PS bible along side with it? And how well did it work out for you?


dont worry about how long is enough for studying. you should be more concerned with getting the concept in your head and doing the practice questions. if you want an answer regarding amount of time to study, with no job, i believe it should be around 3-5 hours a day for 4-5 days a week. dont be afraid to take breaks or review previous chapters. also dont move onto another topic until you understand the one at the moment.

well my story is CRAZY. first i took a princeton review course. scored a 134 on a cold diagnostic and didnt improve much. the course wasnt much help so i signed up for TM. i choose TM instead of PS because i believe the bibles are what i can learn from PS without taking the course. TM and PS methods are VERY similar. they just use different names. at the end of the TM course i was PTing in the low 150s. right now my average is in the high 150s (158-159). looking to get into low 160s by june (if not then there is always October).

good luck.

panjam09
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby panjam09 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Get the triple book combo from Powerscore on Amazon. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $150 for the same information than $1000+ with a course. Just saying.

am060459
Posts: 609
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby am060459 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:55 pm

panjam09 wrote:Get the triple book combo from Powerscore on Amazon. I don't know about you, but I'd rather pay $150 for the same information than $1000+ with a course. Just saying.


i agree with you to some extent. im sure powerscore elaborates more on their techniques. it would be of no business sense to sell the "bibles" and offer the course if they were the same and one costs dramatically more than the other.

User avatar
mikialjan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby mikialjan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:55 pm

PS does not go through all the contents in their bibles, although I wish they did. They said the books are of personal use and value and certainly a good guide along with the course.

I was leaning more towards PS since I had the books anyway but if they're not going to go through them then that defeats the purpose. But now that I know a few things more than I did before I am likely going with Testmasters for the follwing reasons:

PS course begins August 7th.
TM course begins July 20th.

PS provides 80 hours of "class time". Their "class time" consists of lectures, practice tests, and test reviews.
TM provides 80 hours of "in-class instructions", which consists of ONLY lectures. They don't make the practice tests and reviews part of that 80 hours! Which, in my opinon, is fair. Why PS charges for practice tests - I do not know, but I don't think it's fair.

That being said I think I will learn more with TM than with PS and I will use the PS bibles as a guide a long the way. I am even considering a private tutor 3 hours a week together with the course. If you think the private tutor is a bad idea please chime in and tell me why. I want to do whatever it takes to earn the highest score I possibly can.

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby skip james » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:06 pm

mikialjan wrote:PS does not go through all the contents in their bibles, although I wish they did. They said the books are of personal use and value and certainly a good guide along with the course.

I was leaning more towards PS since I had the books anyway but if they're not going to go through them then that defeats the purpose. But now that I know a few things more than I did before I am likely going with Testmasters for the follwing reasons:

PS course begins August 7th.
TM course begins July 20th.

PS provides 80 hours of "class time". Their "class time" consists of lectures, practice tests, and test reviews.
TM provides 80 hours of "in-class instructions", which consists of ONLY lectures. They don't make the practice tests and reviews part of that 80 hours! Which, in my opinon, is fair. Why PS charges for practice tests - I do not know, but I don't think it's fair.

That being said I think I will learn more with TM than with PS and I will use the PS bibles as a guide a long the way. I am even considering a private tutor 3 hours a week together with the course. If you think the private tutor is a bad idea please chime in and tell me why. I want to do whatever it takes to earn the highest score I possibly can.


you bring up good points, but you forget that TM is also more expensive (1500ish) and PS is only 1300ish.

personally, i think tutors are good if you can find a good one, the same goes for classes. the advantage of a tutor to a class in this respect is that you can 'test' a tutor out without investing over a grand first, while it'll be more difficult to do that with a course (and even then the instructor could change over the course of the class; i've heard of it happening).

if you have the money for it, then i say forgo the class and do private tutor all the way. shop around though, since the quality is going to vary ALOT, and it's important that you get a tutor that fits you and your way of working/thinking/studying and won't just explain problems to you for whatever dollars an hour.

User avatar
mikialjan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby mikialjan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:10 pm

How do you shop around for a tutor? I'm a bit skeptical of the spam tutors whoring all over facebook and such. And a tutor form PS or TM costs like $150/hour :shock:

User avatar
mikialjan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby mikialjan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

LawLucy wrote:
mikialjan wrote:Thanks.

am060459, do you think 3 hours per day would be adequate to study the TM material and PS bible along side with it? And how well did it work out for you?


TM & PS are entirely different in their approach...studying from both will confuse you.
I have taken both and love, love, love PS


is this true?

skip james
Posts: 264
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:53 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby skip james » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:25 pm

mikialjan wrote:
LawLucy wrote:
mikialjan wrote:Thanks.

am060459, do you think 3 hours per day would be adequate to study the TM material and PS bible along side with it? And how well did it work out for you?


TM & PS are entirely different in their approach...studying from both will confuse you.
I have taken both and love, love, love PS


is this true?


nah, i think they're pretty similar, especially in their games approach.
mikialjan wrote:How do you shop around for a tutor? I'm a bit skeptical of the spam tutors whoring all over facebook and such. And a tutor form PS or TM costs like $150/hour :shock:


you can find craigslist ads for private tutors. be wary though, ask for proof of score (i.e. score report). most tutors seem to offer the first hour (sometimes more) for free, so shopping around could be risk free if you do it right.

User avatar
mikialjan
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:14 am

Re: Powerscore vs Testmasters

Postby mikialjan » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:42 pm

I'm not sure I would trust anything from there with something this important.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dan9257, GioChanturia and 9 guests