Grouped by Passage Types book...any good for RC?

xqhp82

Grouped by Passage Types book...any good for RC?

Postby xqhp82 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am

I was just browsing on amazon and found this Grouped by Passage Types book. Anyone has used it and find it useful?? The ratings on amazon are too extreme for me to make a judgement (5 star vs 1 star) I know there are also Grouped by Game Types and Grouped by Question Types and they seem pretty good for practice but I'm not sure about this one.

sk8kim

Re: Grouped by Passage Types book...any good for RC?

Postby sk8kim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:31 pm

Hmmm, I don't have that book, but I know practicing back-to-back RC in Kaplan Mastery helped. Kaplan Mastery groups by passage type too, which is useful for practicing a bunch of science passages in a row (my weakness).

MChun08

Postby MChun08 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:53 pm

Funny, the last LSATblog newsletter mentioned this book. I wish I knew about this before I got the first 10 Actual book. :(

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:56 pm

I actually was the one who wrote the 1 star review. You're wasting your money getting this book, the RC has changed over time and the material in this book will not reflect the current LSAT material.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:58 pm

And the person on writing the blog I believe is the one selling this book and the one who wrote the 5 star review, and they did not comment on my review, so what does that tell you?

MChun08

Postby MChun08 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:16 pm

lostjake wrote:I actually was the one who wrote the 1 star review. You're wasting your money getting this book, the RC has changed over time and the material in this book will not reflect the current LSAT material.

I don't think it's changed too much. My diagnostic was the June 2007 LSAT, and I just did 20 RC passages from the 10 Actual book which is PT 7-18. I didn't think the RC was that different except for the 1 comparitive section. It's all about practicing diagramming and comprehending complex writing. FWIW, obviously I am going to practice with RC from PT 40+, but I think the earlier passages are still useful.

lostjake

Postby lostjake » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:17 pm

MChun08 wrote:
lostjake wrote:I actually was the one who wrote the 1 star review. You're wasting your money getting this book, the RC has changed over time and the material in this book will not reflect the current LSAT material.

I don't think it's changed too much. My diagnostic was the June 2007 LSAT, and I just did 20 RC passages from the 10 Actual book which is PT 7-18. I didn't think the RC was that different except for the 1 comparitive section. It's all about practicing diagramming and comprehending complex writing. FWIW, obviously I am going to practice with RC from PT 40+, but I think the earlier passages are still useful.

Many here will disagree, plus for the price of this book you can get several full tests.

Traciela

Postby Traciela » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi All,

I'm just posting to clarify that LSAT Blog is not in any way affiliated with our company or our books. lsatblog.blogspot.com features reviews on many different LSAT books--not just ours. In addition, LSAT Blog has posted over 20 different reviews on Amazon. If you actually read the full review (http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/ls ... -book.html), I think you will see that it points out both pros and cons, and is written with an unbiased tone.

As for the usefulness of GROUPED by Passage Type, I think that is something each person will have to decide on their own. Some people find specific passage topics harder than others, while some people find all of them easy. Some people want and need all the Reading Comprehension practice they can get, while others who excel in Reading Comprehension can get away with only doing PrepTests 50+. It depends on the person. Our books are not for everyone--we simply believe that some people want individual passage type practice from the earlier PrepTests, and our books try to fulfill that demand.

-Traciela, Inc.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”