PT 29 LR1 #21 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Saltqjibo

Bronze

PT 29 LR1 #21

Post by Saltqjibo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:49 pm

Governments position on nuclear accidents. I was wavering between A and B and C (eventually crossed off C but then picked the wrong one). I think the long stem messed me up. Anyone feel like giving me a hand on how to approach this type of question quickly?

jjlaw

Bronze

Re: PT 29 LR1 #21

Post by jjlaw » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:33 am

The stimulus is very long and tricky. I find that finding the underlying structure of the stimulus is especially important in these types of LR questions, as well as knowing when to ignore irrelevant information. It's always good to take the stimulus as a whole, rather than try to deconstruct it. At least that's what I do, anyway.

The underlying structure for this stimulus is that of inconsistency. The government's assurance to the public about the safety of nuclear plants doesn't match its actions, since it is telling the public that nuclear plants are safe but still limiting the liability of nuclear plants in case there are accidents. It sounds like the government doesn't really believe its own words, which lends itself to choice (B). Choice (A) takes the stimulus too far in claiming that the government's claim about nuclear plant safety is false; we don't know that. Rather, it could just be that the government isn't 100% confident in its public assurances.

HTH

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Re: PT 29 LR1 #21

Post by Saltqjibo » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:45 am

hmm, that's the conclusion I eventually came to as well. But shit it's hard to figure that one out with time pressure. I usually find myself narrowing and guessing when it comes to these particular types of problems - and usually I rock LR

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”