Too Risky?

VU2011

Too Risky?

Postby VU2011 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:17 am

I am planning on taking the LSAT in June... the thing is, I am not going to start to study until early May. My plan consists of working through a Princeton Review book for strategic purposes, then taking about 10-15 practice LSAT exams the month leading up to the LSAT. I understand that I can choose to skip my exam in June and wait until September if I'm not progressing how I would like to, but am I destined to fail from the start? I'm a pretty good test-taker, but I don't want a great disparity between my GPA (3.96 from a T-20) and LSAT.

yoni45

Re: Too Risky?

Postby yoni45 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:22 am

VU2011 wrote:I am planning on taking the LSAT in June... the thing is, I am not going to start to study until early May. My plan consists of working through a Princeton Review book for strategic purposes, then taking about 10-15 practice LSAT exams the month leading up to the LSAT. I understand that I can choose to skip my exam in June and wait until September if I'm not progressing how I would like to, but am I destined to fail from the start? I'm a pretty good test-taker, but I don't want a great disparity between my GPA (3.96 from a T-20) and LSAT.

You won't know until you've taken a diag to see where you're starting from, and doing some studying to see how you're progressing.

A month is possible -- it's a crunch and you should expect to devote many an hour to this, but it's definitely possible. Worst case scenario, you can always cancel (if you know 2 weeks out), or skip (you'll get an absentee but it doesn't really count against you).

Shlonster

Postby Shlonster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:24 am

Take the June LSAT. Start studying earlier. Don't use Princeton Review. Only use actual tests. Use logic bibles to strengthen what you're weak/slow/missing a lot of. Practice real, times tests at the actual time of your LSAT administration. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Don't underestimate the advantage that applying early will get you, especially since next cycle will be likely as competitive as the current one. I was lazy and got WL'd to shit for it (among other reasons, but applying late did me ZERO favors.)

Alternatively, don't go at law school at all, it's full of douchebags I hear. Ignore Oblomov as he will likely try and convince you to attend UMich, but give no reasons for doing so.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:25 am

You're not doomed to fail. It might be enough time, it might not. Depends on how well you learn the test. If you're naturally a good test taker a month might be all you need. Take real, timed practice tests under as close to testing conditions as you can. If you are scoring in your range by the time the test comes, then take it. If not, take it for the practice and cancel (since it will probably be too late to get your money back by that time) then retake in September. Whatever you do, just don't waste your GPA by settling for a crappy LSAT. If you don't do good in June, retake.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:26 am

A month is possible if you are naturally a very good test taker - that's basically what I did and I ended up fine.

That said, in general, the longer you can study, the better you will do. I realize there's a leveling off at some point, but for most people that's over a month.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:30 am

VU2011 wrote:I am planning on taking the LSAT in June... the thing is, I am not going to start to study until early May. My plan consists of working through [strike]a Princeton Review book[/strike] THE BIBLES for strategic purposes, then taking about 10-15 practice LSAT exams the month leading up to the LSAT. I understand that I can choose to skip my exam in June and wait until September if I'm not progressing how I would like to, but am I destined to fail from the start? I'm a pretty good test-taker, but I don't want a great disparity between my GPA (3.96 from a T-20) and LSAT.

Other than what I stated above, your plan is a solid one. Don't skip June, nearly all schools take highest, so there is almost no incentive not to take it. If you do well, you are finished, if you do poorly--retake and write an adendum about how you had a virus that week.

VU2011

Postby VU2011 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:59 am

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Are these the logic bibles you all are talking about?

--LinkRemoved--

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 am

I would just stick to the games bible, I think the rest you can pick up through practice.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:17 am

Cupidity wrote:Other than what I stated above, your plan is a solid one.

I respectfully disagree. When used appropriately, I think the Princeton Review book is as good or better.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 am

Cupidity wrote:
VU2011 wrote:I am planning on taking the LSAT in June... the thing is, I am not going to start to study until early May. My plan consists of working through [strike]a Princeton Review book[/strike] THE BIBLES for strategic purposes, then taking about 10-15 practice LSAT exams the month leading up to the LSAT. I understand that I can choose to skip my exam in June and wait until September if I'm not progressing how I would like to, but am I destined to fail from the start? I'm a pretty good test-taker, but I don't want a great disparity between my GPA (3.96 from a T-20) and LSAT.

Other than what I stated above, your plan is a solid one. Don't skip June, nearly all schools take highest, so there is almost no incentive not to take it. If you do well, you are finished, if you do poorly--retake and write an adendum about how you had a virus that week.

And then fail your Character & Fitness. You think they won't subpoena your family doctor for your medical records from that time period?

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 am

tomwatts wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Other than what I stated above, your plan is a solid one.

I respectfully disagree. When used appropriately, I think the Princeton Review book is as good or better.

LOL

LawandOrder

Postby LawandOrder » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:47 am

Shlonster wrote:
Alternatively, don't go at law school at all, it's full of douchebags I hear. Ignore Oblomov as he will likely try and convince you to attend UMich, but give no reasons for doing so.

LOL @ preemptory trolling

Mr. Pablo

Postby Mr. Pablo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:03 am

T14_Scholly wrote:
Cupidity wrote:

And then fail your Character & Fitness. You think they won't subpoena your family doctor for your medical records from that time period?

Because people go to their doctor every time they get a fever.

bp colin

Postby bp colin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:45 pm

Cupidity wrote: if you do poorly--retake and write an adendum about how you had a virus that week.

All the admissions officers I've heard from seem to think this isn't a good idea. If you were so sick, why did you take the test? Why didn't you cancel afterward? It just risks coming of as sounding whiney. I mean, they must see thousands of these identical addenda, and they're not stupid. The admissions people I've talked to (which of course isn't representative, but still) have said that most addenda people write shouldn't have been written, and either do nothing or actually hurt. Just something to think about.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:50 pm

Shlonster wrote:Take the June LSAT. Start studying earlier. Don't use Princeton Review. Only use actual tests. Use logic bibles to strengthen what you're weak/slow/missing a lot of. Practice real, times tests at the actual time of your LSAT administration. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Don't underestimate the advantage that applying early will get you, especially since next cycle will be likely as competitive as the current one. I was lazy and got WL'd to shit for it (among other reasons, but applying late did me ZERO favors.)

:lol:
For those who missed it...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115298

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:51 pm

VU2011 wrote:I am planning on taking the LSAT in June... the thing is, I am not going to start to study until early May. My plan consists of working through a Princeton Review book for strategic purposes, then taking about 10-15 practice LSAT exams the month leading up to the LSAT. I understand that I can choose to skip my exam in June and wait until September if I'm not progressing how I would like to, but am I destined to fail from the start? I'm a pretty good test-taker, but I don't want a great disparity between my GPA (3.96 from a T-20) and LSAT.

Why are you waiting until May? I would personally postpone until September, but that is just me. You can always take twice!

VU2011

Postby VU2011 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:29 pm

Last edited by VU2011 on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

autao

Postby autao » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:43 pm

I did something similar to this last year, I gave myself some breathing room in all my classes and got to work at around this time (Very end of April), I took tests almost every day of the week and reviewed them at night. I also went through the Logic Games bible, and the Reading Comp bible. I only took time off to actually take my finals which ended the first week of May. Up until the actual test I did nothing but the LSAT. In retrospect I was pretty happy with my score, however I did underperform my practice tests by about 5 points which would have made all the difference since I had the same gpa as you (the difference b/w a 168 and 173 with a high gpa is incredible). However, since I took a test every day due to my lack of time I really couldn't go back for a retake. I think if I had more time i would have spent more time reviewing what I did wrong each day. Sorry for the long winded response, I think it is possible, and if you have classes you need to take in the second half of the summer then go for it. If you can study all summer you should probably wait for the October test. Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know.

autao

Postby autao » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm

When I say I couldn't go back for a retake it was because I had taken the 35 most recent lsat tests.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 pm

legalease9 wrote:
Shlonster wrote:Take the June LSAT. Start studying earlier. Don't use Princeton Review. Only use actual tests. Use logic bibles to strengthen what you're weak/slow/missing a lot of. Practice real, times tests at the actual time of your LSAT administration. Lather, rinse, repeat.

:lol:
For those who missed it...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=115298

Haha, he probably gamed everyone here. The funny thing is that there are quite a few ones the last pages who trully think he was serious. Looks like Oblomov is trolling... for the first time :lol:

Mr. Smith

Postby Mr. Smith » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:04 pm

VU2011 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Why are you waiting until May? I would personally postpone until September, but that is just me. You can always take twice!

I'm waiting until after finals to start preparation. I took 18 hours this semester, so I didn't have time to fit in LSAT preparation and succeed in my classes.

But why not wait until September to take it? I might be a little OCD, but the LSAT isn't something you want to half-ass.

VU2011

Postby VU2011 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 pm

Mr. Smith wrote:
VU2011 wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Why are you waiting until May? I would personally postpone until September, but that is just me. You can always take twice!

I'm waiting until after finals to start preparation. I took 18 hours this semester, so I didn't have time to fit in LSAT preparation and succeed in my classes.

But why not wait until September to take it? I might be a little OCD, but the LSAT isn't something you want to half-ass.

Yeah, I don't want to be under-prepared for the LSAT, that's for sure. I just know my summer's going to be very busy, so I'm not sure how well I'll be able to prepare over an extended period of time. How much would applying in October hurt me?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:16 am

Hard to quantify, but probably not a lot. I think any points higher is worth the wait. As many have said, it's going to depend on where your diagnostic is and how quickly you are progressing. Nothing wrong with studying HARD for the June test, then deciding to wait for the October one at the last minute. That's my plan right now. If the last PT I take a few days before the test is what I would be happy scoring, I'll go for it in June. If it isn't, I'm going to wait till October.

Don't go wasting that GPA. Many of us would kill for it. ;)

merichard87

Postby merichard87 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:20 am

Wait so is there a September test or is it in October?

lebob

Postby lebob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:24 am

i think this is a very, very bad idea

start studying in may, with no prior experience? not enough time man

if you're average (say, cold test somewhere around 150), 1 month will take you far, but not near your full potential.

if you're already pretty good with standardized national tests (cold test 160s), you're less screwed, but you still probably won't be able to reach your full potential by june 6th.

another way to look at it:

let's say you take 1 preptest every other day until june (which is itself, pretty difficult to do). that means you only look at 15-18ish exams, which, to be honest, is not enough if you wanna destroy the exam.

take october. it's better to turn your app in late with a high score, than early with a crap score

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”