GMAT advice

junelsat

GMAT advice

Postby junelsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:59 pm

This may be an LSAT forum, but I got some great studying advice on it for the LSAT, so I imagine some of you have good GMAT advice as well. Attending law school starting next year, considering a JD/MBA, have the summer free so I might want to take the GMAT. I studied for the LSAT by using the powerscore bibles for a month and doing practice tests, studying consistently. So I am wondering:

1) What are the best study materials(ie the gmat version of powerscore bibles)?

2) How long should I study?

3) How should I study?

4) Whats the best place to take a diagnostic?

With no work experience, I'll need a great score to get into the MBA program at the school I'm attending, so I want to know I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks a lot.

Neelio

Re: GMAT advice

Postby Neelio » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:01 pm

junelsat wrote:This may be an LSAT forum, but I got some great studying advice on it for the LSAT, so I imagine some of you have good GMAT advice as well. Attending law school starting next year, considering a JD/MBA, have the summer free so I might want to take the GMAT. I studied for the LSAT by using the powerscore bibles for a month and doing practice tests, studying consistently. So I am wondering:

3) How should I study?

With no work experience, I'll need a great score to get into the MBA program at the school I'm attending, so I want to know I'm not wasting my time.

Thanks a lot.

If you are located in NYC go with Manhattan GMAT. A little pricey, but my GF raised her score from 600 to 730 in 4 months.

junelsat

Postby junelsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:08 pm

Neelio wrote:
junelsat wrote:This may be an LSAT forum, but I got some great studying advice on it for the LSAT, so I imagine some of you have good GMAT advice as well. Attending law school starting next year, considering a JD/MBA, have the summer free so I might want to take the GMAT. I studied for the LSAT by using the powerscore bibles for a month and doing practice tests, studying consistently. So I am wondering:

3) How should I study?

Thanks a lot.

If you are located in NYC go with Manhattan GMAT. A little pricey, but my GF raised her score from 600 to 730 in 4 months.

I studied on my own for the LSAT and would prefer to do the same for the GMAT, unless you know of any special reason a course is good for the GMAT. Its cheaper, more flexible, and honestly more enjoyable. I'm also confident that its a more efficient use of my time, and that I am fully capable of maximizing my own score without a course.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:11 pm

If you're transitioning from LSAT to GMAT, you'll be comfortable with most of the Verbal stuff, but you'll want to review some grammar for the Sentence Correction question type, and you'll want to review basic math. GMAC has PowerPrep software that you get when you sign up for the test, and that's 2 practice tests there. For pencil and paper materials, get the sort of maroon-colored GMAT Review (published by GMAC) and, if you find that you need extra practice, the old purple and green books from the same source.

Unlike books for the LSAT, no GMAT books that I'm aware of use real GMAT questions other than the ones straight from the test-makers, so I wouldn't get anything else for practice unless you find that you're likely to use up all of the released GMAT questions in those three books. However, if you'd like some description of technique, you can get books of technique from pretty much any GMAT prep company. The one I work for, Princeton Review, has Cracking the GMAT. There are many others.

You'll probably find that you don't need to study nearly as much for the GMAT as you did for the LSAT, so don't plan to try to get 60 tests or anything insane like that. If you remember basic math, you just need the above. If you don't remember basic math at all, you may want to supplement with some more practice.

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 pm

If you did well on the lsat, consider 2/3 of the verbal section on the gmat as being very very easy for you (the LR and RC are the same if not easier I would say, since you are typically allowed to spend more time on the LR).

It all boils down to how much math practice you need then...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”