Prep Test #12 Game #4

Dave

Prep Test #12 Game #4

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:50 am

These kind of "rare" games have been killing me lately. I finally learned to get a -0 to a -2 on all 3 games, and it's the 4th one that's ridiculous. Got 4 wrong on that one.

matt@atlaslsat

Re: Prep Test #12 Game #4

Postby matt@atlaslsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am

Good news. Games like this do not appear on the modern LSAT. We haven't seen the LSAC use a game like this since the late 90's. When you're working through older LSAT's I think the logical reasoning is very similar, the reading comprehension is very similar (except for the fact that it's missing a comparative reading passage), and the logic games are sometimes very similar and sometimes very different than what you're likely to encounter on your real LSAT.

I used to call a game like this an Intermediate Stage game because there will be several rounds of action and you might need to keep track of the intermediate stages along the way.

1 2 3 4
R B G O

Constraints
1 + 2 = R
2 + 3 = O
3 + 1 = B
3 + 4 = B
4 + 1 = G
4 + 2 = G

I'll walk you through #18 and #22 so you can get a feel for the game

all of these answer choices except one has two of the same color.
(A) To see whether answer choice (A) works we'll keep a blue and a green and see what flasks they come from. They come from 2 and 3 respectively. So does 1 + 4 make the second blue? No! 1 + 4 makes another green, so blue, green, green would work but not blue, blue, green.
(B) blue and orange come from 2 + 4, so does 1 + 3 make a second orange? No!
(C) wait for now, too hard to test
(D) green and red come from 1 + 3, so does 2 + 4 make a second green? Yes! So (D) is correct
(E) green and orange come from 3 + 4, so does 1 + 2 make a second orange? No!

1 2 3 4
R G B O

If after the first experiment there is one orange (let's make that be in the 4th flask). So, to avoid a second orange let's not mix flasks 2 + 3, so we can mix flasks 1 + 2 or 1 + 3. So, in the second experiment we could mix flasks 4 + 2 or 4 + 3. The latter option is answer choice (E).

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Wow thanks man I appreciate you going over it with me. Are you sure these games don't appear on the newer lsats? I mean that would be a relief. However, wouldn't I be better off with the rare/sequencing games if I know how to do crap like this?

matt@atlaslsat

Postby matt@atlaslsat » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm sure that these games are gone, but I can't be sure that they're gone for good. I think it's better to be over prepared rather than under prepared. So, study away, but with less effort on things less likely.

fiathebia

Postby fiathebia » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:59 pm

so i guess what you are saying is that we should study these games if we have time, but most likely we won't come across them (phew :))

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”