One and a Half Months to Study

OmbreGracieuse

One and a Half Months to Study

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:49 pm

So... there is a month and a half to study before the June LSATs. Any advice for those just starting? I have seen a few threads in different forums, and thought I would post a solid thread here for those just starting to study with T-minus 7 weeks (ish).

Thanks for responding. :)

alive

Re: One and a Half Months to Study

Postby alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:44 pm

How much time can you devote to studying each day? I have been studying since late last summer, and with my full time job, I still feel like I haven't gotten enough studying in.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:01 pm

alive wrote:How much time can you devote to studying each day? I have been studying since late last summer, and with my full time job, I still feel like I haven't gotten enough studying in.

I personally, have infinite time, however I thought this might be a good guide post for varying people of different backgrounds (those who have time and those who don't). :)

rsuelzer

Postby rsuelzer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:08 am

The real question is: what is your baseline? and what is your goal?

That really determines how much you need to study. My goal is 400-500 hours before october. I just got in 5 tonight.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:33 am

This is all subjective. Are you naturally gifted, or do you have to stick your nose in the books well longer than others have to to fully grasp a concept? How best do you learn, abstractly? Procedurally?

I would say not to overdo it just because you came in so late in the game. First thing, buy a couple of pretests and take them. Take them all at once, and time them like the actual LSAT would. Lying to yourself to get a better PT score is not doing yourself a favor.

Now you have an idea of how well you can expect to do, or how much you need to improve. Break down the test into chunks and see what type and kind of questions give you the most difficulty. Buy a study guide and read up on those sections. Take more practice tests, lather rinse repeat. I would say, take no more than six practice tests per week and no less than one per week. That should be about the right range to help you improve, but help avoid burnout.

Remember, PT in all sorts of environments and states of mind. PT with the NBA playoffs blasting in the background. PT in the morning when you just woke up. PT tired. PT just after you worked out. PT hung over. There's no telling what will happen the day of the test, so you have to psychologically prepare yourself for any eventuality. This will help build the confidence that is so critical in any test taking situation. TLS is often bombarded with stories from neurotics who just couldn't deal with the person behind them having hiccups. Don't be that person.

Set a goal, and be disciplined, and you should be fine.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:38 am

TCS wrote:This is all subjective. Are you naturally gifted, or do you have to stick your nose in the books well longer than others have to to fully grasp a concept? How best do you learn, abstractly? Procedurally?

I would say not to overdo it just because you came in so late in the game. First thing, buy a couple of pretests and take them. Take them all at once, and time them like the actual LSAT would. Lying to yourself to get a better PT score is not doing yourself a favor.

Now you have an idea of how well you can expect to do, or how much you need to improve. Break down the test into chunks and see what type and kind of questions give you the most difficulty. Buy a study guide and read up on those sections. Take more practice tests, lather rinse repeat. I would say, take no more than six practice tests per week and no less than one per week. That should be about the right range to help you improve, but help avoid burnout.

Remember, PT in all sorts of environments and states of mind. PT with the NBA playoffs blasting in the background. PT in the morning when you just woke up. PT tired. PT just after you worked out. PT hung over. There's no telling what will happen the day of the test, so you have to psychologically prepare yourself for any eventuality. This will help build the confidence that is so critical in any test taking situation. TLS is often bombarded with stories from neurotics who just couldn't deal with the person behind them having hiccups. Don't be that person.

Set a goal, and be disciplined, and you should be fine.

I have infinite time (literally). I graduate May 2nd and work part time, so I essentially would have all the time I need. I took a pretest no studying, no review, no nothing, just to see what my baseline was before I did anything at all (so I essentially walked in off the street and just took one to take one) and scored a 151. Not very good; I know I can bring it up because I am already missing fewer questions when I look at examples (I think I just needed to know how to approach them). I am hoping to bring it up at the very least 15 points (which I think is feasible). I would love to see it go over 170.

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:44 am

15 points in 6 weeks, even with infinite time, is very lofty.

I'd say scale your expectations back to an 8-10 point improvement.

TCScrutinizer

Postby TCScrutinizer » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:15 pm

DonnyMost wrote:15 points in 6 weeks, even with infinite time, is very lofty.

I'd say scale your expectations back to an 8-10 point improvement.

I improved 13 points over my cold PT in a little under two months. So it's possible. It's all about knowing your own strengths and weaknesses and studying in the manner that best maximizes your potential. I would say if OP is a gifted test taker, then it's possible. If OP is a grinder, it's not likely.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:16 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:So... there is a month and a half to study before the June LSATs. Any advice for those just starting? I have seen a few threads in different forums, and thought I would post a solid thread here for those just starting to study with T-minus 7 weeks (ish).

Thanks for responding. :)

If you aren't stupid do the Powerscore logic bible tonight. Then tomorrow start taking PT's. One every other day. On the off days review what you got wrong.

This strategy will only work for people who don't have to learn logic from scratch, aka those who aren't stupid.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”