Just took Preptest 1 (June 1991); man, that was weird Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
suspicious android

Silver

Just took Preptest 1 (June 1991); man, that was weird

Post by suspicious android » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:19 am

The LR section really has changed a good bit, I never noticed before. The question stems were really unusual. Definitely the same quality and maybe just a little bit easier, but weird.

Also, RC about cytologists vs. biochemists was brutal. I read somewhere that that was the first science RC passage EVER. Previously on the LSAT they only did humanities based passages. Must have been quite the surprise for those folks back in 1991. That, and the impending release of Nirvana's Nevermind.

MURPH

Silver

Re: Just took Preptest 1 (June 1991); man, that was weird

Post by MURPH » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:00 am

Where did you get it? I have a little collection of prep tests but I don't have that one.

YEM

New

Post by YEM » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:37 am

suspicious android wrote:The LR section really has changed a good bit, I never noticed before. The question stems were really unusual. Definitely the same quality and maybe just a little bit easier, but weird.

Also, RC about cytologists vs. biochemists was brutal. I read somewhere that that was the first science RC passage EVER. Previously on the LSAT they only did humanities based passages. Must have been quite the surprise for those folks back in 1991. That, and the impending release of Nirvana's Nevermind.
Apart from possession as a novelty, aren't PrepTests of that vintage a little pointless?

I can only assume you're browsing the '91 test as a time capsule type experience. Unlike most TLSers, I was in high school in 1991 and actually remember the first time I heard Nirvana on the radio. The song was "Come as you are" and was a really big deal to me then - unlike anything else getting radio play.

Back to the PrepTest - I began with a 2000 preptest and got really excited when I crushed a 174. Then I started taking more recent tests and became despondent as they became incrementally more difficult.

Is there a big presence of PrepTest collectors on TLS?

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:43 pm

MURPH wrote:Where did you get it? I have a little collection of prep tests but I don't have that one.
Downloaded from cambridgelsat.com, just $3. Saved to a .pdf so now I can keep it forever. They have every single published test, I think a complete set is $180. For me, much better than buying the books, since I like to redo logic games.

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:50 pm

YEM wrote:Is there a big presence of PrepTest collectors on TLS?
It was partly novelty, I'll admit. But I'm retaking in June and very much wanted fresh material to study. I'd never seen that RC section before, and I felt like it was very similar to something we'd see in 2010 (apart from the comparative passage, of course). Also, I had never seen those LR sections before, and while they were different than what you'd see now, it wasn't at all unrecognizable. I could definitely see the same skills being tested, just the question stems were worded in kinda weird ways. I think it was pretty good practice for $3, and it lets me save the more recent tests for later in May.

Also, I wasn't in high school yet when I first heard Nirvana, but man, I remember first hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit and it really blew me away. Can't believe that was 20 years ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TUP

Bronze

Post by TUP » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:08 pm

YEM wrote:
suspicious android wrote:The LR section really has changed a good bit, I never noticed before. The question stems were really unusual. Definitely the same quality and maybe just a little bit easier, but weird.

Apart from possession as a novelty, aren't PrepTests of that vintage a little pointless?

I can only assume you're browsing the '91 test as a time capsule type experience. Unlike most TLSers, I was in high school in 1991 and actually remember the first time I heard Nirvana on the radio. The song was "Come as you are" and was a really big deal to me then - unlike anything else getting radio play.

Back to the PrepTest - I began with a 2000 preptest and got really excited when I crushed a 174. Then I started taking more recent tests and became despondent as they became incrementally more difficult.

Is there a big presence of PrepTest collectors on TLS?
I'm going all the way back to the early PTs for practice. The same skills and format are being used, even if the difficulty varies. And not only that, but for everyone on this forum that says a given section is harder now than before, someone else says they're about the same or even easier. Might as well do as many as possible ...

YEM

New

Post by YEM » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 pm

suspicious android wrote:
... I remember first hearing Smells Like Teen Spirit and it really blew me away. Can't believe that was 20 years ago.
Excuse me while I go soak my dentures...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”