Well KnockGlock helped inspire me

JoePaternoYoDaddy

Well KnockGlock helped inspire me

Postby JoePaternoYoDaddy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:58 pm

Well I guess I am going to get on the horse and retake this coming June. I took the real deal in September 09 got a 164... Not bad, Not great either so I am going to give it another shot. Before the last test I took a prep course and really just did a ton of questions over a two month period. The bad thing about this was that I never really reviewed questions thoroughly when I got them wrong. I would just simply read the stimulus again and then the correct answer. Looking back at it I see how foolish this was :evil: . Another potential problem was that I didn't really do full length tests other than the four diagnostics given by the test company. I would just do timed sections so that is another potential problem with the way I studied before. Lastly I never really worked at reading comprehension, I am going to pull up I think it was Voyager's strategy came fairly highly recommended but we will see I will have to work harded at RC as well.

Anyway last night I took my first full length test since the Sept. Lsat it was test 38 (October 2002), I got a 165 (82 raw). My breakdown went 21/24 (1st LR) 24/24 (LG) 17/27 (RC :evil: :evil: ) and 20/25 (2nd LR). I felt a little fatigue on the last LR section, was a little slow/rusty on games, and reading comp I just sucked and was slow as usual :D .. On a positive note, my highest pt before my real test was a 166 so I am right around where I was I guess.

Time for my plan, basically from here until the June lsat here is how I am going to structure my studying. Take a full length test, spend the next day reviewing two of the sections (ex. 1st lr and lg), the next day review the last two sections (2nd lr and rc). After my two days of review I am going to take a day off so to speak. On this day off if I notice a particular weakness in lr for instance assumption questions I will go to my old books from my prep class and do 15 or so assumption questions in an attempt to improve my weakness. Any Comments or suggestions about my study plan? I feel like I have a good grasp about what is going on with this test (minus RC) now it is just time to take it from good to Great!

Edited to say: That by my calculations I will get through about 20 tests or so maybe a little less hence me starting at prep test 38.

Knock

Re: Well KnockGlock helped inspire me

Postby Knock » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:25 pm

JoePaternoYoDaddy wrote:Well I guess I am going to get on the horse and retake this coming June. I took the real deal in September 09 got a 164... Not bad, Not great either so I am going to give it another shot. Before the last test I took a prep course and really just did a ton of questions over a two month period. The bad thing about this was that I never really reviewed questions thoroughly when I got them wrong. I would just simply read the stimulus again and then the correct answer. Looking back at it I see how foolish this was :evil: . Another potential problem was that I didn't really do full length tests other than the four diagnostics given by the test company. I would just do timed sections so that is another potential problem with the way I studied before. Lastly I never really worked at reading comprehension, I am going to pull up I think it was Voyager's strategy came fairly highly recommended but we will see I will have to work harded at RC as well.

Anyway last night I took my first full length test since the Sept. Lsat it was test 38 (October 2002), I got a 165 (82 raw). My breakdown went 21/24 (1st LR) 24/24 (LG) 17/27 (RC :evil: :evil: ) and 20/25 (2nd LR). I felt a little fatigue on the last LR section, was a little slow/rusty on games, and reading comp I just sucked and was slow as usual :D .. On a positive note, my highest pt before my real test was a 166 so I am right around where I was I guess.

Time for my plan, basically from here until the June lsat here is how I am going to structure my studying. Take a full length test, spend the next day reviewing two of the sections (ex. 1st lr and lg), the next day review the last two sections (2nd lr and rc). After my two days of review I am going to take a day off so to speak. On this day off if I notice a particular weakness in lr for instance assumption questions I will go to my old books from my prep class and do 15 or so assumption questions in an attempt to improve my weakness. Any Comments or suggestions about my study plan? I feel like I have a good grasp about what is going on with this test (minus RC) now it is just time to take it from good to Great!

Edited to say: That by my calculations I will get through about 20 tests or so maybe a little less hence me starting at prep test 38.

Good luck! Sounds like you've figured out a lot of things, especially with reviewing PT's, so I think you're going to really improve your score.

You're study plan sounds pretty good, maybe do your review all on one day so it would be easier to spot patterns in LR (if LR is split 1 or 2 and 3 or 4? and then on the 3rd day do the question types to improve your knowledge of it. And maybe since RC is your weakness, take some time to do extra RC passages? LG is my weakness so i'm going to definitely make sure to do extra game sections.

Again, good luck!

alive

Postby alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:23 am

JoePaternoYoDaddy wrote:Well I guess I am going to get on the horse and retake this coming June. I took the real deal in September 09 got a 164... Not bad, Not great either so I am going to give it another shot. Before the last test I took a prep course and really just did a ton of questions over a two month period. The bad thing about this was that I never really reviewed questions thoroughly when I got them wrong. I would just simply read the stimulus again and then the correct answer. Looking back at it I see how foolish this was :evil: . Another potential problem was that I didn't really do full length tests other than the four diagnostics given by the test company. I would just do timed sections so that is another potential problem with the way I studied before. Lastly I never really worked at reading comprehension, I am going to pull up I think it was Voyager's strategy came fairly highly recommended but we will see I will have to work harded at RC as well.

Fellow Penn Stater?

JoePaternoYoDaddy

Postby JoePaternoYoDaddy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:37 pm

alive wrote:
Fellow Penn Stater?

Yuppppp, name wasn't too obivous was it?

JoePaternoYoDaddy

Postby JoePaternoYoDaddy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Took the June 2004 test tonight. I am happy to say that it was my highest pt score ever, with a 90 raw 171 scaled!!! Truthfully everything was pretty standard with this test, I seem to have hit a wall with LR I went 21/25 and 22/26, that seems to be my average from right before my real lsat and after my last test. LG was pretty damn easy got 22/22 in 27 min... The key was for some reason RC tonight just clicked I got 25/28, that made all the difference in my score. I think I just tried to more actively underline what I thought was important in the passage, I would make a note if the authors tone jumped out at me. Overall very happy with this test, going to spend the next two days going over it/continuing to work on RC. Little worried this will be a fluke high score, but ultimately it seems that RC determines whether I am mid 160's or in this case low 170's.

Also I gotta try and work that LR -4 per section average down to around -2 that would make me much happier.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:30 am

nice. With -0 LG you should see that more PTs will reduce your LR and RC.

JoePaternoYoDaddy

Postby JoePaternoYoDaddy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:45 pm

Took October 2004 test this morning, I scored a 86 raw which was a 166 scaled score. Feel kind of indifferent about this test, not super happy but at the same time not mad/sad. Test started off with RC where I got a 21/27 (not horrible for me) one passage killed me I got 4 wrong in a row :evil: which is horrific. I am going to re do that passage tomorrow and see if I can get the stuff right the second go around. My LR sections went (19/25 and 25/26). The 19/25 is horrible I have no clue what the heck happened, need to review it carefully. I am pretty pumped about the 25/26 score for the second section that is one of my higher scores ever, ultimately I seem to average about -8 total for LR and this was pretty damn close with a -7 so overally I guess that section went ok... Finally LG I got 21/22 made a stupid mistake on #2 of the first game. Really dumb, this is what happened on the real deal with me. When I start out I rush too much, I don't know why I guess I am afraid of coming to a game that stumps me that I need a lot of time. But it is extremely rare when I don't finish LG with at least 5-7 minutes left on the clock so I need to slow down a bit more on the first game.

Anyway, my three tests so far have been a little all over the place but I have a feeling it is going to settle around 166/7 on real good days I will get near 170 on not so good days I will probably be around 164 or so. Happy studying everyone.

Oct 2002 (82 raw, 165 scaled)
June 2004 (90 raw, 171 scaled)
Oct 2004 (86 raw, 166 scaled)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”