Intro to Myself + Taking the LSAT in June/General Advice Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
nillumin

Bronze

Intro to Myself + Taking the LSAT in June/General Advice

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:46 am

*First time poster here….

Intro:
I am a junior at Drexel University in Philadelphia majoring in both accounting/finance. I just finished up my accounting major and have 3.91 heading into my senior year which I think averages out to a 4.01 on a law school scale. At Drexel I have also worked 3 co-op (spring/summer internships) as an auditor, which while I don’t see as my end career, is still work experience. I am planning on attending Law School after my senior year…and while I will be applying to schools in the city and the surrounding area (Temple/Nova/Penn (depending on my LSAT), I am pretty high on the idea of going to a school in the south that is reasonably close to a city.

I was initially planning on taking the LSAT’s in October but upon listening to advice from a friend of mine and my pre-law advisor I have decided to take the LSAT’s in June of this year to enable myself to apply to schools as early as possible. I have never studied for the LSAT’s until about a week ago, so thus, I am pretty nervous about the whole thing.

LSAT:
I took a cold LSAT last spring and scored a 152 or 153. In the last week I went through the entire Power Score Logic Games Bible and have taken 2 practice tests and have scored a 158/159 respectively; even though I went through the whole thing rather quickly, it still definitely helped a lot. In both of the practice tests I have done fairly well on the logic games (missing 1-3 questions), fairly well on reading comprehension (3-4 questions), and terrible on the logical reasoning (missing on average 7-9 questions per section). I am hoping to get started on the Power Score Logical Reasoning Bible this weekend and am hoping it helps me improve on my terrible scores in those sections.

I am hoping to break 160 on the June LSAT, obviously I would like to do even better than that though if possible, but I only have another month and a half.

Advice/Comments Please?
While I don’t really know what kind of response I am looking for to this post, I am willing to hear any feedback/or advice regarding taking/preparing for the LSAT/law school admissions process/and am especially interested if anyone has been/or is in a similar situation to me, where they have not had a prolonged period to study for the LSAT and still done well….I’m hoping it is possible….for my sakes.

Thanks for any feedback in advance,

Nick

jarofsoup

Gold

Re: Intro to Myself + Taking the LSAT in June/General Advice

Post by jarofsoup » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:55 am

Sign up for a prep class and in addition take every practice test you can before the test.

Go above and beyond what the class has you do.

alphagamma

Bronze

Post by alphagamma » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:00 am

Definitely take as many PTs as possible.

Also, why don't you set a higher goal for yourself than 160? If you're already scoring 158-9, then you'll probably be able to tack on more than two points with an entire month of studying. And setting a higher goal will motivate you to work harder, etc.

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:04 am

considering your gpa, i think it's more important for you to do everything you possibly can to get 170+. i guess it really depends on where you want to go to law school, but i'm sure the majority of tls-ers would tell you not to waste your gpa and aim as high as possible. six weeks is a short time...if you don't see a good amount of improvement in your score in a couple of weeks maybe you should think about just taking it in october. it's important to apply early, but it's better to have the best score possible. with your gpa i think you don't have to worry about applying in nov/dec after taking the october lsat as long as your score high.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:09 am

Yes - a class would be a great idea, and would probably help tremendously with LR.

Also, I don't know why everybody is telling you that you must take the June test in order to apply early. If you do not feel prepared and confident enough to take the June test, wait until October, but don't rush to take the June test. A stellar score in October will be more of an asset to you in the application process than an above average score in June with an early application.

PS - if you sit for the October test, you can still submit apps as soon as they become available in September. You really want to get all of your apps out by the date that the October score is released (at the absolute latest) to give yourself the best chances.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:11 am

alphagamma wrote:Definitely take as many PTs as possible.

Also, why don't you set a higher goal for yourself than 160? If you're already scoring 158-9, then you'll probably be able to tack on more than two points with an entire month of studying. And setting a higher goal will motivate you to work harder, etc.
You are right. I would like a 165. It's just nerve-racking thinking about the fact it comes down to a one-time test. I guess I would say I would like to be scoring 165 on the practice test by the time I take it. That would be ideal. I'm hoping I have enough time to move through the whole powerscore LR book and take at least 10 more practice tests before the test. I guess maybe trying to shoot for a few more practice tests could be beneficial, but right now I think it is pretty clear logical reasoning needs to be my focus. In the practice test I took last night I got 2 wrong on Logic Games/3 wrong in reading comp/and combined like 19 wrong in LR....which was similar results to the one I took on Tuesday. So improving on LR is definiltey a major concern right now for me I'd say. It's just so tiresome to read/analyze 25 different scenarios in the 35 minutes; reading comp is so much more feasible/less stressful.

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 am

Bert wrote:Yes - a class would be a great idea, and would probably help tremendously with LR.

Also, I don't know why everybody is telling you that you must take the June test in order to apply early. If you do not feel prepared and confident enough to take the June test, wait until October, but don't rush to take the June test. A stellar score in October will be more of an asset to you in the application process than an above average score in June with an early application.

PS - if you sit for the October test, you can still submit apps as soon as they become available in September. You really want to get all of your apps out by the date that the October score is released (at the absolute latest) to give yourself the best chances.

What about the option to take it again in October by taking it in June just in case I bomb?

Luis Gomez

Bronze

Post by Luis Gomez » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:22 am

LSAT = most important part of your application

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:47 am

nillumin wrote:What about the option to take it again in October by taking it in June just in case I bomb?
Take the test once and get on with your life -- don't let the availability of a Plan B influence you into making a wrong Plan A decision, and take your friend out of the equation. For all you know, you could take the June test, bomb it, and then do worse in October, and then you would have to take it a third time. To be quite frank, your goal is to get the highest score possible on the LSAT and get your applications out. There really isn't much difference between getting your apps out in mid-to-late September and late-October, especially if you have top numbers, which it seems you are entirely capable of.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:05 pm

Bert wrote:
nillumin wrote:What about the option to take it again in October by taking it in June just in case I bomb?
Take the test once and get on with your life -- don't let the availability of a Plan B influence you into making a wrong Plan A decision, and take your friend out of the equation. For all you know, you could take the June test, bomb it, and then do worse in October, and then you would have to take it a third time. To be quite frank, your goal is to get the highest score possible on the LSAT and get your applications out. There really isn't much difference between getting your apps out in mid-to-late September and late-October, especially if you have top numbers, which it seems you are entirely capable of.
I appreciate your honesty. I guess I'd like to be ready by June, it's more conducive to my personality/study habits, because I definiltey am not a person who likes to space out studying. I'd rather focus all out on it all out until June and see how I do. What I will do at this point, after hearing your advice, is study real hard on the logical reasoning for the next two weeks, and then take a practice test and see where I am at going into May right before registration. If I am noticing an improvement on LR and scores in the 160's, hopefully the mid 160's...I think I'll crank it out in June because I probably won't get much better if I wait around all summer. However, if I am still struggling with that section and am not confident going into the final month, I'll serioulsy consider postponing until october.

It would be nice to get it out of the way before then though.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:08 pm

Sounds like a good plan -- if you are scoring where you want to be scoring on test day, you should go for it.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:11 pm

Where do you want to do? This kids got a serious shot at Berkley down with a 170.

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:47 pm

jpSartre wrote:Where do you want to do? This kids got a serious shot at Berkley down with a 170.
unc

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Sammi

Bronze

Post by Sammi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:49 pm

If someone hasn't said it... I would get the 5 section practice tests. That's what is really making the difference for me at least! It will ensure that you're stamina is where it's supposed to be for the day of the test!

7ED

Bronze

Post by 7ED » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:13 pm

+1. 5 section tests are key.

Oh, Why in the name of God would you waste a 3.91 GPA on a 160. U should be aiming for 180. Shoot for the moon and even if u miss u might land amongst the stars. Think of how awesome Harvard would be.

Mr. Smith

New

Post by Mr. Smith » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 pm

7ED wrote:+1. 5 section tests are key.

Oh, Why in the name of God would you waste a 3.91 GPA on a 160. U should be aiming for 180. Shoot for the moon and even if u miss u might land amongst the stars. Think of how awesome Harvard would be.
So true. I would kill to go back to UG and get a 3.91

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:16 am

thanks for all the advice, i appreciate it.

nick

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Though I do agree that taking as many practice tests as possible is one of the most important components of LSAT prep, I feel that this must be balanced with a careful knit picking through specific questions, especially when it comes to logical reasoning. To simply practice and get a question on the LR wrong and not go back to it is somewhat unproductive. As LR is an acquired skill set combining critical thinking, understanding of necessary and sufficiency all while being able to navigate the "noise" the LSAT interjects into the questions it is imperative that you have an intimate understanding of question construction, "LSAT tricks," and . It is important to go through some LR slowly write down why you chose the answer and why not the others and carefully diagnose what you did either right or wrong. For me I took my first LSAT Sept. 09 I was all over the place in my diagnostics 151-164 and got a 154 on the test. I decided to retake December, did not study a lick, and got a 149. At the moment I am planning on attending Pacific-Mcgeroge (accepted to USF and there WL at American, Gonzaga and Saint Louis with 3.62 154/149 for the schools who average), however plan on taking it again in June so that I can transfer, and after carefully going through the LR I now average between 18-23 right, assuming that I maintain my usual 23-27 on RC and 18-20 on LG, low to mid 160's is not out of the question. What I am trying to convey is it is important to carefully balance your understanding of the questions, and the process of getting to the right answer, just as much as it is to be able to do so under the stringent time conditions they give you. In addition, your attitude when you take it is very important. To simply wade through the questions without the confidence that you are making the right choices will be a disservice to you as it may lead you to second guess yourself taking you out of that "LSAT ZONE" during the test. That is just my thought. But, with 1 1/2 months before the test, it seems like you are in a really, really good place. You do not have to go in T20 to get an outstanding legal education! But, with your GPA and high 160's you will open a tremendous amount of possibilities for yourself! GOOD LUCK YOU WILL DO GREAT!

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:21 pm

7ED wrote:+1. 5 section tests are key.

I agree, and I think this is another valuable lesson. You should not set test ceilings for yourself based on practice tests! You should always aim for 180. I swear there might be some sort of correlation (might be a causation/correlation flaw for you LSAT nerds) between your attitude and confidence when navigating the beast which is the LSAT. It is trying to defeat you, so you gotta have the reverse mentality against it.

honestabe84

Bronze

Post by honestabe84 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:10 pm

scuzle wrote:Though I do agree that taking as many practice tests as possible is one of the most important components of LSAT prep, I feel that this must be balanced with a careful knit picking through specific questions, especially when it comes to logical reasoning. To simply practice and get a question on the LR wrong and not go back to it is somewhat unproductive. As LR is an acquired skill set combining critical thinking, understanding of necessary and sufficiency all while being able to navigate the "noise" the LSAT interjects into the questions it is imperative that you have an intimate understanding of question construction, "LSAT tricks," and . It is important to go through some LR slowly write down why you chose the answer and why not the others and carefully diagnose what you did either right or wrong. For me I took my first LSAT Sept. 09 I was all over the place in my diagnostics 151-164 and got a 154 on the test. I decided to retake December, did not study a lick, and got a 149. At the moment I am planning on attending Pacific-Mcgeroge (accepted to USF and there WL at American, Gonzaga and Saint Louis with 3.62 154/149 for the schools who average), however plan on taking it again in June so that I can transfer, and after carefully going through the LR I now average between 18-23 right, assuming that I maintain my usual 23-27 on RC and 18-20 on LG, low to mid 160's is not out of the question. What I am trying to convey is it is important to carefully balance your understanding of the questions, and the process of getting to the right answer, just as much as it is to be able to do so under the stringent time conditions they give you. In addition, your attitude when you take it is very important. To simply wade through the questions without the confidence that you are making the right choices will be a disservice to you as it may lead you to second guess yourself taking you out of that "LSAT ZONE" during the test. That is just my thought. But, with 1 1/2 months before the test, it seems like you are in a really, really good place. You do not have to go in T20 to get an outstanding legal education! But, with your GPA and high 160's you will open a tremendous amount of possibilities for yourself! GOOD LUCK YOU WILL DO GREAT!
When did you apply out of curiosity?

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:52 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
scuzle wrote:Though I do agree that taking as many practice tests as possible is one of the most important components of LSAT prep, I feel that this must be balanced with a careful knit picking through specific questions, especially when it comes to logical reasoning. To simply practice and get a question on the LR wrong and not go back to it is somewhat unproductive. As LR is an acquired skill set combining critical thinking, understanding of necessary and sufficiency all while being able to navigate the "noise" the LSAT interjects into the questions it is imperative that you have an intimate understanding of question construction, "LSAT tricks," and . It is important to go through some LR slowly write down why you chose the answer and why not the others and carefully diagnose what you did either right or wrong. For me I took my first LSAT Sept. 09 I was all over the place in my diagnostics 151-164 and got a 154 on the test. I decided to retake December, did not study a lick, and got a 149. At the moment I am planning on attending Pacific-Mcgeroge (accepted to USF and there WL at American, Gonzaga and Saint Louis with 3.62 154/149 for the schools who average), however plan on taking it again in June so that I can transfer, and after carefully going through the LR I now average between 18-23 right, assuming that I maintain my usual 23-27 on RC and 18-20 on LG, low to mid 160's is not out of the question. What I am trying to convey is it is important to carefully balance your understanding of the questions, and the process of getting to the right answer, just as much as it is to be able to do so under the stringent time conditions they give you. In addition, your attitude when you take it is very important. To simply wade through the questions without the confidence that you are making the right choices will be a disservice to you as it may lead you to second guess yourself taking you out of that "LSAT ZONE" during the test. That is just my thought. But, with 1 1/2 months before the test, it seems like you are in a really, really good place. You do not have to go in T20 to get an outstanding legal education! But, with your GPA and high 160's you will open a tremendous amount of possibilities for yourself! GOOD LUCK YOU WILL DO GREAT!
When did you apply out of curiosity?
I applied in late January. Sine I was a reverse split this is probably why I was waitlisted and rejected. It is possible if I applied early then my chances could have been better at schools like USD, Loyola or Santa Clara, simply because I had great softs and a 3.9 while I was at USF (excluding my community college GPA). I would also say that if you do not think you are where you want to be come test day, then wait till october. If you have all your app materials together you will be able to apply at an early point in the process and still have a good chance at acceptance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nillumin

Bronze

Post by nillumin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:39 am

thanks scuzle, great advice.

I am currently taking a break from practice tests until the end of this week while I go through my powerscore logical reasoning text book.

I am hoping when I take a practice test afterwards that I will improve upon the LR sections.

Basically the general advice I have encountered in the book thus far has been to...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the stimulus first. I have read that some people actually read the question...which is not the best mehtod apparently.

And to read it very closely, identify the premises, and the conclusion most importantly...

Then from there, read the question, and all the answers carefully, and choose the one that absolutley answers the question. Basic advice, but it seems to be helping me somewhat.

Reading closely/Ensuring I identify the conclusion of the arguement have been the best points I've taken away from the book thus far.

sdlaw

New

Post by sdlaw » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:50 am

Wait to take the test!!!! Take a prep class and take in October rather than rushing for June. It really doesn't make much of a difference if the rest of your app is already complete. Prep class and study could very easily bump you into a 170 giving you a much better shot at T14 even T5. As ridiculous as it may seem, the LSAT to an extent determines your future job prospects and your career opportunities in that it will basically determine what school you will get into.

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:34 pm

[quote="nillumin"]thanks scuzle, great advice.

I am currently taking a break from practice tests until the end of this week while I go through my powerscore logical reasoning text book.

I am hoping when I take a practice test afterwards that I will improve upon the LR sections.

Basically the general advice I have encountered in the book thus far has been to...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the stimulus first. I have read that some people actually read the question...which is not the best mehtod apparently.

And to read it very closely, identify the premises, and the conclusion most importantly...

Then from there, read the question, and all the answers carefully, and choose the one that absolutley answers the question. Basic advice, but it seems to be helping me somewhat.

Reading closely/Ensuring I identify the conclusion of the arguement have been the best points I've taken away from the book thus far.[/quoteI

I like reading the question first as the type of question will functionally alter your method of attacking the argument. For instance, an inference, which you take information from the argument requires a different approach then an "if assumed question" which gives you an argument with a missing premise and asks you to complete it logically. But, the most important thing is what works for you, what your comfortable with and most of all what works! Feel free to message me sometime or anything. My test scores isn't indicative of my knowledge of the test, I generally test in the mid to high 160's, so good luck! Not perfect, but very respectable.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:41 pm

Honestly, aim for as high as you can get. I thought I would be ok settling with my 160, but I am really not. So I'm retaking in October. You only get to go to law school once, you should aim for the best you can get in to. Think of the possibilities if you can pull up that LSAT. So many amazing schools would love to have your GPA.... Just my two cents as someone in a sort of similar situation (160/3.85).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”