What to do when your only time to study is after 9:30 pm...

legalized

What to do when your only time to study is after 9:30 pm...

Postby legalized » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:41 am

...and after a full day and then an evening with a child you are just TIRED? How to get through 3-4 hours of studying if you keep falling asleep or mind is just not sharp and you end up going from 1 or 2 wrong per game to nearly all wrong?

That was kind of shocking tonight. I was so tired I got 4 out of 5 wrong. Pointless to study if that's the way of things, so I just closed the books and stopped.

Should I get back into drinking coffee to force my brain awake? Should I try to go to bed earlier and do the studying first thing in the morning?

I don't feel as ready as I thought I would at this point mainly because of so many other things going on personally...and I really want to get this test over with in June but if the feeling doesn't pick up significantly in a week or two I am afraid I might have to delay til October and that will ruin all my early application plans.

Anyone with a child studying for this? How are you managing to stay awake AND alert after the kid(s) goes to sleep? It's so frustrating. I have things to do all day tomorrow (well, today) then I have to get the kid and of course spend time, then by the time the world is quiet I am TIRED.

okay I'm done venting now.

Concept2

Re: What to do when your only time to study is after 9:30 pm...

Postby Concept2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:44 am

I had nowhere near the responsibility that have to contend w/ but I did have time studying for the LSAT. I used the following two items;

Green Tea spiked w/ a dash of cayenne pepper (sounds crazy but gets blood flowing to the brain, the green tea is caffeinated but wont over do it)

If all else fails I would jog around the block and go back to the practice tests

GOOD LUCK

Concept2

Postby Concept2 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:45 am

Sorry....A hard time studying*

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:55 am

nah. Go to bed super early, wake up super early, slam back some stimulants and rock out the studying before the kiddo wakes up.

legalized

Postby legalized » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 am

Renzo wrote:nah. Go to bed super early, wake up super early, slam back some stimulants and rock out the studying before the kiddo wakes up.

Sounds like a plan (although super early sleeptime might not happen...but maybe I my brain is better first thing in the morning).

Thanks to you both for suggestions. I might need some coffee as well, yes. lol

Luis Gomez

Postby Luis Gomez » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:59 am

Good luck. If all else fails. take your studying with you anywhere you go. I ripped pages of the practice books and answered them even during stop lights. Good Luck

Nena_a

Postby Nena_a » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:25 pm

I feel you love. I have two. I'm also working pt and in school. I want to cry sometimes. I need to finish homework right now then a minimum of an hr of LSAT prep. I'm so effing tired.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:32 pm

Get used to it....that sounds like my study schedule for most of 2L.

samolly

Postby samolly » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 pm

I am in the same situation. I have a 3 and 4 year old. Glad to see other mom's in the same boat, I was feeling alone here and afraid I couldn't keep up with some of the folks on these boards - what I could do with some of these folks study hours!
I usually get the kids in bed by 8:30. I only try to study for an hour because I get to tired and don't absorb the material well. Then I go to bed and get up at 5 am and study for another hour before getting ready for work. Then at lunch I study for another hour. So on weekdays I get 3 hours of studying a day. I did download a kindle LSAT onto my iPhone, and I peak at that sometimes during work.
Weekends are harder. I put in movies for the kids and put on my headphones and listen to white noise (babbling brook, etc.) to block out the soft noise (I'm i the next room). This can give me 1 - 1.5 hour blocks of study time. My husband will also try to take them out occasionally.
What I am really worried about is the nightime Powerscore class I signed up for. It is from 8-11. I'm not sure how I am going to stay up that late! I am deeply considering energy drinks, I don't think coffee will be enough :D

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:11 pm

I would say try to study in the mornings, before anyone else is awake. Coffee won't keep you up late then, you won't be worn out from your day, and it will also be better prep for the actual exam, which is around 9am, not 9pm. Also, you might want to just spread out your studying a bit more and plan on the Sept/October exam. You'll get your results early enough to apply well before the majority of people, plus the month or so between the test and the score will give you enough time to put you applications all together, and most schools don't even start looking at your apps before Thanksgiving anyway.

autarkh

Postby autarkh » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:33 pm

Get a cheap espresso machine. Until you build up tolerance, 2-4 shots will keep you going long enough for that study session not to be a total waste.

At some point, you're going to have to take tests in the morning though. Maybe you can go to sleep earlier and wake up really early to knock out the studying. I don't know how feasible this is with your domestic responsibilities.

TheLuckyOne

Postby TheLuckyOne » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Definitely study in the mornings. You may feel sleepy at first, but youI'll get used fairly fast. It's so much better than forcing yourself late at night. The other good thing is that many tend to procrastinate if they don't have limited time, and waking up in the morning leaving just enough time to take a test will help you do it since you won't have time to slack around and/or get distracted/find excuses. You will also feel that IF you did manage to wake up this early, no way are you gonna just waste it. :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”