I cannot afford the PowerScore books....

nycparalegal

Re: I cannot afford the PowerScore books....

Postby nycparalegal » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:37 am

I don't know. You know the PowerScore books are not expensive on their own. You can save up for them each week by putting away 2- 3 dollars/week.

It's not like you will be taking the test any time soon.

I'm with Cole here. If people want to give you a free copy, that's fine; but for all we know this guy is going to then sell the books on ebay for a $.

I mean do you buy food or go out with friends?

It's not like all you do is make just enough money to live, and then go home and not spend any $ anywhere.

You can probably cut back on some unnessessary costs until you have enough to buy the book, but it's a moot point because peopel are going to give it to you for free.

Shoot, you could also probably buy it used for less too.

You couldn't wait to buy it with your tax return?

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:25 pm

nycparalegal wrote:I don't know. You know the PowerScore books are not expensive on their own. You can save up for them each week by putting away 2- 3 dollars/week.

It's not like you will be taking the test any time soon.

I'm with Cole here. If people want to give you a free copy, that's fine; but for all we know this guy is going to then sell the books on ebay for a $.

I mean do you buy food or go out with friends?

It's not like all you do is make just enough money to live, and then go home and not spend any $ anywhere.

You can probably cut back on some unnessessary costs until you have enough to buy the book, but it's a moot point because peopel are going to give it to you for free.

Shoot, you could also probably buy it used for less too.

You couldn't wait to buy it with your tax return?

I really don't know how my post went from me asking for the next-best alternative turned into this. I clearly stated that while I don't have much, I have somewhere between $20-$30 total to spend. I wasn't- and am not- looking for free handouts. I was looking for the next-best study guide; one book that I could use in addition to the LSAC-administered book I was sent as well as the Barrons guide someone let me borrow. My original post asked whether those were considered sufficient, or there was second-best alternative to the Powerscore set I could add to it. I also said I don't have the money for all three, so I was looking to go $20-$30 total. Some how this ended up a post about my trying to abuse the system and looking for free handouts. How this happened, I still don't know.

So a few things to your post. 1. I am female; I am not a he. 2. I am not looking for free handouts, I was merely looking for suggestions. 3. It is possible I make just enough money to live on; that is, in fact, what happens. Not everyone lives a priviledged life. 4. The $25 I got for the book I was hoping to buy was saved through about $4 a paycheck. 5. You don't need a detailed diagram of my finances, but I have a daughter and a husband who was laid off of work. My family of 3 grossed LESS than 11k before taxes last year. The tax money I got went to her daycare provider so I could continue through my UG, and a small portion of that went to pay medical bills that I owed for her. Had there been ANY of that left over, this post never would have been created. The $20-$30 a book was the number I pulled off of Froogle which searches just about everywhere online. I tried Craigslist, ect and there are none in my area, and I can't borrow one from the library because their copies were stolen. I cannot borrow them from ND because they are worried they wont get them back (I graduate in May so I don't get to use the interoffice loan anymore).

This is probably more than you asked for, but I am urging you to look at my original post. How you get that I am looking to live off of the system is beyond me. To answer one of your other questions NO I do not go out with friends or buy things I don't need. I don't buy things for myself because I have a one year old who needs food, diapers, clothing, and shelter. Some things are more important than myself, and she is one of them.

Now that I have officially stated how far below the poverty limit I am, and the fact that I am NOT asking simply for handouts I hope some of the flame in this thread will die down.

I do indeed, as well, hope this sets the story straight for all of the judgemental people on this thread.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:40 pm

i think the best thing you can do (barring getting free copies of the powerscore books) is to spend that $30 on the 4 most recent practice tests. they are 4/3 from amazing + free shipping so it will only be ~$24.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:24 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:I really don't know how my post went from me asking for the next-best alternative turned into this.

Did you not like my answer? Because it's about as good an answer as you're going to get for the question that you asked. You need 1) any book of technique (could be Cracking the LSAT, could be SuperPrep, could be one of the Bibles, could be any of several other titles) and 2) real LSAT questions (could be the 10 Actuals series, could be individual PTs, could be SuperPrep, could be Kaplan Mastery, could be the Bibles). If your local public (not university) library doesn't have any of those, ask a librarian; for sure you can get them. You might not end up with the Bibles, but that hardly matters. Just get a book of technique and some real LSAT questions. (As many of the latter as you can.)

If you just want an endorsement of some book of technique other than the Bibles, my endorsement goes to Cracking the LSAT, personally. That's what I used.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:29 pm

tomwatts wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote:I really don't know how my post went from me asking for the next-best alternative turned into this.

Did you not like my answer? Because it's about as good an answer as you're going to get for the question that you asked. You need 1) any book of technique (could be Cracking the LSAT, could be SuperPrep, could be one of the Bibles, could be any of several other titles) and 2) real LSAT questions (could be the 10 Actuals series, could be individual PTs, could be SuperPrep, could be Kaplan Mastery, could be the Bibles). If your local public (not university) library doesn't have any of those, ask a librarian; for sure you can get them. You might not end up with the Bibles, but that hardly matters. Just get a book of technique and some real LSAT questions. (As many of the latter as you can.)

If you just want an endorsement of some book of technique other than the Bibles, my endorsement goes to Cracking the LSAT, personally. That's what I used.

Oh no, I love your response. Thank you SO much! Does the year for it matter? I know there is a 2010 one, but do they change much from year to year?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:00 pm

OmbreGracieuse wrote:Does the year for it matter? I know there is a 2010 one, but do they change much from year to year?

Supposedly it changes roughly 10% each year. More recent is better, but even as old as 2006 (which is the one that I used) is definitely still relevant. I'd be a little suspicious of anything 2002-ish or earlier, though.

OmbreGracieuse

Postby OmbreGracieuse » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:01 pm

tomwatts wrote:
OmbreGracieuse wrote:Does the year for it matter? I know there is a 2010 one, but do they change much from year to year?

Supposedly it changes roughly 10% each year. More recent is better, but even as old as 2006 (which is the one that I used) is definitely still relevant. I'd be a little suspicious of anything 2002-ish or earlier, though.

Thanks! Froogle pulled up many years at very many prices, so I could easily pick a newer one and still save a significant amount. I appreciate your advice! :)

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Seriously, OP never asked for a handout. Don't know why it sparked an Any Rand-ish, "pull yourself up by your bootstraps" tirade from some people. Why do people have to be flaming liberals just because they don't mind giving away something that they would otherwise throw away? I hate waste like that. But I digress.

OP: I would STRONGLY suggest you get your hands on the bibles one way or another, though. I didn't use them for my first LSAT and then did for my second and it really helped (jumped 7 pts). Half.com has some used for $20. If not try borrowing from someone.

I bought some of the other books for $20-30 and they were a COMPLETE waste of time. Kaplan, McGraw, all those just weren't worth my time because the questions they used to drill you were in many ways simpler than the actual LSAT questions and so I could get all of them right, pat myself on the back and then bomb a half a section on a PT. Powerscore uses actual LSAT questions and has some good strategies for attacking each section.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”