I cannot afford the PowerScore books.... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

I cannot afford the PowerScore books....

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:15 pm

Does anyone know what the second-best alternative would be? I have the normal LSAC administered book (they sent it to me in the mail), and a friend let me borrow the Barron's guide. Any suggestions? Are the ones I have sufficient, or are there better ones? (I know the PowerScore are better to some, but I don't have $20+ per book). I am looking to spend between $20-$30 total.

Thanks! :D

abbas123

Bronze

Re: I cannot afford the PowerScore books....

Post by abbas123 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:18 pm

the ones you have are not enough. some ppl will suggest printer + internet are all you need, but there's an ethical debate abt that

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... =6&t=33535

gbpackerbacker

Silver

Post by gbpackerbacker » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:06 pm

<<<< Hoping for good LSAT karma...

When are you taking the test? I'd be happy to send my materials free of charge after June 7th.

actorlaw

New

Post by actorlaw » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:12 pm

Preparing for the LSAT is a stepping stone for your career and the rest of your life...

I understand some people can't invest a lot of money into preparation, but it will totally be worth it down the line. The couple of hundred dollars you invest now could easily turn into thousands of dollars you earn in scholarship money... Just a thought.

rsuelzer

New

Post by rsuelzer » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:17 pm

No to be a dick... but you can afford law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:23 pm

I mean, the books cost 41 dollars a piece on amazon. My current total spent on LSAC for applications, LSAT, practice tests etc. is well over $1,000 (and I had fee waivers for almost every school I applied to). 41 dollars is one days worth of work at minimum wage.

edit: Did I mention I was making minimum wage when I was applying and studying for the LSAT?
Last edited by Geist13 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:26 pm

Look at it this way... this is an investment in your future. You should be willing to shell out some money for them.

That said, if you REALLY can't afford them all, just get whichever section you are struggling on the most. The LG Bible was the best for me, and I think it is the best one overall. You should absolutely get it.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:28 pm

Why not search ebay or craigslist and try to find some used copies? I bought some used ones that had little to no writing in them, and got them for under $20. They weren't the newest editions, but I don't really think it made a difference. Books like this are too important to skimp on. Always think long-term. Just a few extra points could mean thousands in scholarship money. I'd say its worth it.

LSHPFL10

New

Post by LSHPFL10 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:31 pm

I have copies of the newest versions that I no longer have any need for.

PM me for details, OP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tomwatts

Gold

Post by tomwatts » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm

To anyone in a comparable situation who can't rely on the generosity of donors: Get PTs and just about any book of technique. The only thing that the PS Bibles have going for them, as far as I can tell, is that they're a one-stop shop: you get real LSAT questions and technique in one place. But if you get, say, Cracking the LSAT (which is what I used) and a bunch of PTs, you get the same thing for possibly less. It just requires that you get two or three books instead of one.
Last edited by tomwatts on Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:33 pm

If you're not resourceful enough to figure this out, you're facing serious problems beyond LSAT prep. Perhaps you're hoping that a sympathetic story will prompt someone to send you copies. This is understandable given the current cultural climate. I won't send you a free book, but I will prompt you with a couple of the obvious solutions that you should have come up with on your own:

$.99 notebook + $2 coffee + Barnes and Noble + Saturday = Powerscore prep in the store.

Library card.

Edit: Looks like you found a sucker. Perhaps you're more resourceful than I gave you credit for. Did I mention that I really want a Rolex but simply can't afford one? Just checking.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:36 pm

actorlaw wrote:Preparing for the LSAT is a stepping stone for your career and the rest of your life...

I understand some people can't invest a lot of money into preparation, but it will totally be worth it down the line. The couple of hundred dollars you invest now could easily turn into thousands of dollars you earn in scholarship money... Just a thought.
It isn't a matter of investing, I physically don't have that money. I made less than 11k for a 3 family household last year-- the money quite simply is not there. I am consciously aware that investing the money would be beneficial, and if I had it I would do it, and never would have had to ask what comes in second place. :P

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:37 pm

dakatz wrote:Why not search ebay or craigslist and try to find some used copies? I bought some used ones that had little to no writing in them, and got them for under $20. They weren't the newest editions, but I don't really think it made a difference. Books like this are too important to skimp on. Always think long-term. Just a few extra points could mean thousands in scholarship money. I'd say its worth it.
I live not too far from ND, so you would think my Craigslist has them. Not a single one. :\

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:38 pm

rsuelzer wrote:No to be a dick... but you can afford law school?
About as much as I can afford my UG. I have some very BIG scholarships, some COL loans and I am hoping by the time I get out of LS, I can afford to make loan repayments.

It is a very valid concern.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Cole S. Law wrote:If you're not resourceful enough to figure this out, you're facing serious problems beyond LSAT prep. Perhaps you're hoping that a sympathetic story will prompt someone to send you copies. This is understandable given the current cultural climate. I won't send you a free book, but I will prompt you with a couple of the obvious solutions that you should have come up with on your own:

$.99 notebook + $2 coffee + Barnes and Noble + Saturday = Powerscore prep in the store.

Library card.

Edit: Looks like you found a sucker. Perhaps you're more resourceful than I gave you credit for. Did I mention that I really want a Rolex but simply can't afford one? Just checking.
I am actually not looking to pick a fight with anyone. And, I really wasn't looking to get such a fire started with you- I was just wondering what the next-best alternative would be.
Last edited by OmbreGracieuse on Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:42 pm

Ombre, I may have an extra book lying around here somewhere. Let me see. I'll PM you if I do.

basicgrey7

Bronze

Post by basicgrey7 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:44 pm

Do you live close to your undergrad? I live in Illinois and we have interlibrary loan where you can search all the books in the state and no matter where it is, they will send you as many books as you want to your library to be checked out there. I did this for a lot of prep books. I never used it, but I guess our pre-law advisor had books in the reserved section that those studying for the lsat could check out to use in the library. I would see about the library and talk to your pre-law advisor at undergrad.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:47 pm

basicgrey7 wrote:Do you live close to your undergrad? I live in Illinois and we have interlibrary loan where you can search all the books in the state and no matter where it is, they will send you as many books as you want to your library to be checked out there. I did this for a lot of prep books. I never used it, but I guess our pre-law advisor had books in the reserved section that those studying for the lsat could check out to use in the library. I would see about the library and talk to your pre-law advisor at undergrad.
I live right by ND, but can't check it out from there. I graduate in May so when I tried it pulled up a blocker. I think they are worried I will graduate and they won't get their books back.

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:59 am

I'm not suggesting anything unethical or illegal, but I Think a simple gOogle seaRch of "lsat" oR something AloNg those lines mighT give you some options...

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:14 am

Man, some people are assholes. I'm looking at you Cole. Ombre, I am currently trying to help my friend study with the powerscore books that I used but let me know via PM in the next few days if you are still in need. I have some things that may help, especially if you or someone you know (so that you don't see the answers) are cool with erasing a bunch of pages.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:41 am

Cole S. Law wrote:If you're not resourceful enough to figure this out, you're facing serious problems beyond LSAT prep. Perhaps you're hoping that a sympathetic story will prompt someone to send you copies. This is understandable given the current cultural climate. I won't send you a free book, but I will prompt you with a couple of the obvious solutions that you should have come up with on your own:

Library card.

Seriously though, I actually did this. But not only with the Powerscore Bibles, but with every LSAT prep book I could find.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Thirteen

Diamond

Post by Thirteen » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:51 am

Ombre, PM sent.

jamesieee

New

Post by jamesieee » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:53 am

The LR and LG Bibles are worth buying new. Don't bother with the RC. I don't believe you can't scrape together another $40 for the best tools out there. As for PT's, I'm also not advocating anything illegal, but a lot of them are in scanned PDF format floating around on the Internet.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:57 am

I ended up going to bed, and cannot believe how many new messages there were here when I woke up. I was really looking for advice more than anything; I appreciate everyone who took the time to give positive suggestions and feedback. I now have an official game plan of action, and it includes hot chocolate! Then again, anything including hot chocolate has got to be a good idea. :)

Cole S. Law

Bronze

Post by Cole S. Law » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:19 am

mazzini wrote:Man, some people are assholes. I'm looking at you Cole. Ombre, I am currently trying to help my friend study with the powerscore books that I used but let me know via PM in the next few days if you are still in need. I have some things that may help, especially if you or someone you know (so that you don't see the answers) are cool with erasing a bunch of pages.
Man, some people are willing to enable learned helplessness at every turn. Continue to feel superior as you valiantly remove any obstacle, however minor, from anyone who asks. Future clients will be well served by practitioners whose only recourse to tiny setbacks is cyber-begging.

You are a true American hero.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”