June LSAT....Waiting till May to do every day pt's? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Intraining

Bronze

June LSAT....Waiting till May to do every day pt's?

Post by Intraining » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:25 pm

I'm retaking, and it seems like I retained alot of the knowledge I gathered before as if I had never actually taken a break. I averaged around a 162 after 30 pt's, and of course I nose-dived into a 156 on test day.

Fast forward to today where I'm working, carrying 15 credit hours, and taking a powerscore course. Would I be crazy to wait until finals are done to do the every day PT binge... or should I quit being such a pussy and wake up at 5:30 to study?

Tanicius

Gold

Re: June LSAT....Waiting till May to do every day pt's?

Post by Tanicius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:29 pm

Don't do it. That just begs for burn out. Study smart rather than unreasonably hard.

OmbreGracieuse

Bronze

Post by OmbreGracieuse » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:57 pm

Intraining wrote:I'm retaking, and it seems like I retained alot of the knowledge I gathered before as if I had never actually taken a break. I averaged around a 162 after 30 pt's, and of course I nose-dived into a 156 on test day.

Fast forward to today where I'm working, carrying 15 credit hours, and taking a powerscore course. Would I be crazy to wait until finals are done to do the every day PT binge... or should I quit being such a pussy and wake up at 5:30 to study?
Wait til after you graduate when you have the time and dedication to do it every day. Just be careful you don't overdo it, ok?

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:52 am

Don't do it man. The first time I took the LSAT, I did the getting up at 5:30 every day for a month while taking 15 credit hours thing...It sucks. I peaked out two weeks before the test--then burnout hit. Who knows, maybe it was the lack of sleep, maybe it was doing a 6 section pt every day at 5:30 in the morning for a month, maybe it was that I had developed an unhealthy obsession with the test. Any way you look at it, I was hitting 170 consistently two weeks before the test. Then...158, 156, 160, 159. I dropped a 158 bomb on the real thing. I was psyched out on test day because of my inability to replicate my high scores in the week leading up to the test. It became a self fulfilling prophecy.

I am retaking, and am also doing the june lsat. Right now, i'm just working on some fundamentals: drilling the LR types I get wrong, trying to get my LG score up. This time, I'm taking it easy...I wont hit the full lengthers until i'm done with finals.

Who knows, maybe you have the ability to take a test at 5:30 every morning, manage 15 hours of school with finals week fast approaching, work a job, and take a powerscore class. I just don't see that leading anywhere but burnout. You wont even retain what you learn, it will just turn into a big blur.

Focus on your powerscore class for now...hell, if you do all of your homework and assignments, thats all you really need at this point. And don't neglect the rest of your academics, ok?

Gook luck.

Mr. Smith

New

Post by Mr. Smith » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:Don't do it. That just begs for burn out. Study smart rather than unreasonably hard.
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicagobullsfan

New

Post by chicagobullsfan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:46 am

i dont believe in the every day PT binge. I'd like to think I've seen some improvement in my studying by going over the concepts in 1-2 days of break time, between PTs.

As far as studying every day? Studying, as in spending time going over the concepts, game/question types, and developing strategies? Sure, why not. I disagree with people who say you shouldn't study every day - I've studied (almost) every single day for this thing since early March, and I haven't burned out yet. In fact I'm enjoying this. 3 hrs/day, 6 hrs/day on the weekends. It works out nice.

alive

New

Post by alive » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:42 am

You might do well with that, but I know it wouldn't have worked for me. Improvement required not only repetition but time for growth. Even when I'm not able to study for a few days (I work full time with a job somewhat like banking in terms of hours), I would think about the test... I would look at a question that was giving me trouble and spend hours or even days thinking about it as I was going about my business. You just don't have the flexibility to spend time fixing errors if you are trying to jam too much in one month.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”