Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 am

Hello TLS posters,

I will be following in the footsteps of KnockGlock and some others and use this forum as my LSAT study prep journal. I hope to get some feedback from other posters who have had success on the LSAT.

Currently I am finishing up my senior year of college. While this may or may not be ideal for studying for the LSAT, it is what it is. I am minoring in philosophy so reading Heidegger, Sartre, etc. will probably help my endurance.

Aside from school I am working PT at a pub on Friday and Saturday nights. I have been going to the gym every day for the past month to shoot hoops, lift weights, run about 3+ miles. I have read this can even help you on the LSAT. So pretty much I am trying to develop good habits to keep myself in the best test taking shape as possible.

OK, now to the actual LSAT prep. I finished the LR bible and am now cracking open the LG bible. I figure I can go through the LG Bible the rest of this week.

Of the four sections of RC I have taken I have never scored below -3, mostly I get -2 or -3. I do not think I will get any RC bible. I also have the official LSAT super prep. Maybe that can give me some tips for RC, but overall I feel confident with my RC skills.

LR is still my weakness, but I hope that with practice I can identify my weaknesses and eliminate them. Flaw in the Reasoning questions and Assumption questions seem to be the most difficult for me.

And now, I am beginning my LG study. Hopefully with dedication I can master this subject.

Anyway, I will be adding my PT scores as I take them. I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's. Difficult, I know, but I feel I can work hard enough to get there. Please comment with any advice you think may help in my preparation.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:46 am

Matt07 wrote:Hello TLS posters,

I will be following in the footsteps of KnockGlock and some others and use this forum as my LSAT study prep journal. I hope to get some feedback from other posters who have had success on the LSAT.

Currently I am finishing up my senior year of college. While this may or may not be ideal for studying for the LSAT, it is what it is. I am minoring in philosophy so reading Heidegger, Sartre, etc. will probably help my endurance.

Aside from school I am working PT at a pub on Friday and Saturday nights. I have been going to the gym every day for the past month to shoot hoops, lift weights, run about 3+ miles. I have read this can even help you on the LSAT. So pretty much I am trying to develop good habits to keep myself in the best test taking shape as possible.

OK, now to the actual LSAT prep. I finished the LR bible and am now cracking open the LG bible. I figure I can go through the LG Bible the rest of this week.

Of the four sections of RC I have taken I have never scored below -3, mostly I get -2 or -3. I do not think I will get any RC bible. I also have the official LSAT super prep. Maybe that can give me some tips for RC, but overall I feel confident with my RC skills.

LR is still my weakness, but I hope that with practice I can identify my weaknesses and eliminate them. Flaw in the Reasoning questions and Assumption questions seem to be the most difficult for me.

And now, I am beginning my LG study. Hopefully with dedication I can master this subject.

Anyway, I will be adding my PT scores as I take them. I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's. Difficult, I know, but I feel I can work hard enough to get there. Please comment with any advice you think may help in my preparation.


Good luck, if you put in the work you can definitely reach your goal score! Hopefully we all can provide each other with support, help, and encouragement on each other's personal prep threads.

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 am

KG, up to this point I have been taking individual sections piece by piece instead of taking a comprehensive PT. I do time all of my sections though. I am trying to start increasing my endurance. I have been having problems with concentrating on a whole PT. Any tips on disciplining your mind to stay focused?

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:59 am

Matt07 wrote:KG, up to this point I have been taking individual sections piece by piece instead of taking a comprehensive PT. I do time all of my sections though. I am trying to start increasing my endurance. I have been having problems with concentrating on a whole PT. Any tips on disciplining your mind to stay focused?


Hmm, I don't think there is really anything you can do except just build up endurance by doing full PT's. I have definitely noticed an increase in stamina and ability to focus now that i've taken 11 PT's in the last 19 days. 4 sections doesn't phase me too much anymore. If you're really struggling, I suspect you can probably build up by adding 1 additional section at a time until you get up to 4, but that isn't speaking from experience.

I've also felt that it helps to get into "the zone" or a rhythm, although I can't really tell you how it is possible to do this. I guess in the end it just comes from practice, and getting familiar/comfortable with the LSAT.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:24 am

I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's.


Sounds obvious, but seriously shoot for a 180. Be a perfectionist. Examine every single problem you get wrong and research it, ask people on here about them, and study until you understand why the right answer is the right answer.

I don't think you need to read the RC Bible either. It's considered the least helpful of the bibles, probably cuz RC is the hardest section to improve on. I felt the same way about it that you do, and I did fine on it. Reading things like The Economist and Harper's was some good advice for me that I found on TLS. I self-studied and only stuck with the Bibles (and the Logic Games Bible Workbook, which really helped) and the PrepTests. I took 35 full length timed tests, half of which had an extra section from another test thrown in to act as the experimental section to increase endurance. I took 2 or 3 tests a week, taking the test one day and grading it, then reviewing it the next day or two to figure out what I got wrong and why, with studying the Bibles and stuff in between.

Diagnostic test in July with no prep: 155
December LSAT: 170

Hope it helps!

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:26 am

joemoviebuff wrote:
I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's.


Sounds obvious, but seriously shoot for a 180. Be a perfectionist. Examine every single problem you get wrong and research it, ask people on here about them, and study until you understand why the right answer is the right answer.

I don't think you need to read the RC Bible either. It's considered the least helpful of the bibles, probably cuz RC is the hardest section to improve on. I felt the same way about it that you do, and I did fine on it. Reading things like The Economist and Harper's was some good advice for me that I found on TLS. I self-studied and only stuck with the Bibles (and the Logic Games Bible Workbook, which really helped) and the PrepTests. I took 35 full length timed tests, half of which had an extra section from another test thrown in to act as the experimental section to increase endurance. I took 2 or 3 tests a week, taking the test one day and grading it, then reviewing it the next day or two to figure out what I got wrong and why, with studying the Bibles and stuff in between.

Diagnostic test in July with no prep: 155
December LSAT: 170

Hope it helps!


Thanks for a great post. May I ask what your average PT's was? (either your overall average or the average of your last 10 or whatever) and what you high/low PT's were?

Thank you.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:37 am

Thanks for a great post. May I ask what your average PT's was? (either your overall average or the average of your last 10 or whatever) and what you high/low PT's were?

Thank you.


Over the course of the 35 tests, my lowest score was 155 (my diagnostic) and my highest was 176 (toward the end of my study, I think it was the December 2006 test, but I'm not sure). My average over the last ten tests was 170. I don't know what it was over the 35, but my scores tended to keep going up because I was getting much better at the logic games. At first I was missing half the section, but toward the end I was killing them, missing only one or two in the section usually. My initially strongest section, RC, became the hardest as I learned how to do the other two kinds, and the difference between a 173 and a 168 tended to be how hard the RC section was. It was my wild card section so to speak.

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:36 pm

Just going through some linear setup drills in the LG bible. Man, this makes LR seem like a breeze. I'm sure I will catch on but it is taking some work to get through this.

Are the basics that tough to get down? And once you do is it easier to start seeing all of the Not Laws and stuff?

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:45 pm

Matt07 wrote:Just going through some linear setup drills in the LG bible. Man, this makes LR seem like a breeze. I'm sure I will catch on but it is taking some work to get through this.

Are the basics that tough to get down? And once you do is it easier to start seeing all of the Not Laws and stuff?


Practice makes perfect.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby hellokitty » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 pm

Good luck! I'll be watching your thread!

User avatar
Kchuck
Posts: 188
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:49 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Kchuck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:52 pm

Good luck, but just my bit of advice..

Don't overlook Reading Comp. I believe that I read you were getting -2 or -3 per RC section, which is great. But were these from older or more recent tests? The older RC are notoriously easier in comparison to the most recent RC. If I can pass one bit of wisdom along it is to not overlook any part of this test.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Knock » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:54 pm

Kchuck wrote:Good luck, but just my bit of advice..

Don't overlook Reading Comp. I believe that I read you were getting -2 or -3 per RC section, which is great. But were these from older or more recent tests? The older RC are notoriously easier in comparison to the most recent RC. If I can pass one bit of wisdom along it is to not overlook any part of this test.


When do the RC get much harder? and how much harder would you say they get?

If I were roughly getting -2 or -3 per older RC section, what would I roughly be scoring in the newer RC sections?

User avatar
TUP
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:00 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby TUP » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:43 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Kchuck wrote:Good luck, but just my bit of advice..

Don't overlook Reading Comp. I believe that I read you were getting -2 or -3 per RC section, which is great. But were these from older or more recent tests? The older RC are notoriously easier in comparison to the most recent RC. If I can pass one bit of wisdom along it is to not overlook any part of this test.


When do the RC get much harder? and how much harder would you say they get?

If I were roughly getting -2 or -3 per older RC section, what would I roughly be scoring in the newer RC sections?


I'm prepping at the moment as well and have read about this in the past. If you search "easier" and "harder" in the forum, you can find people saying each section gets harder or stays the same for just about every combination ... almost no consistency. However, the only one that I've read some claim gets easier is LG.

It seems that the only way to know for sure how one will handle each section is to mix in a few recent preptests during the process rather than saving all for the last couple weeks.

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:18 am

Hmm, yes this is an interesting point. I am hard at work in the LG bible at the moment, but this weekend maybe I will do a recent RC PT to see how I do. I like the idea of mixing up a few recent PTs in my PT routine. I have read that the LSAT super prep does a pretty good job explaining some RC ideas, so hopefully that can also be of some use to me.

melinda.corbin
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby melinda.corbin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:24 am

Matt07 wrote:Hello TLS posters,

I will be following in the footsteps of KnockGlock and some others and use this forum as my LSAT study prep journal. I hope to get some feedback from other posters who have had success on the LSAT.

Currently I am finishing up my senior year of college. While this may or may not be ideal for studying for the LSAT, it is what it is. I am minoring in philosophy so reading Heidegger, Sartre, etc. will probably help my endurance.

Aside from school I am working PT at a pub on Friday and Saturday nights. I have been going to the gym every day for the past month to shoot hoops, lift weights, run about 3+ miles. I have read this can even help you on the LSAT. So pretty much I am trying to develop good habits to keep myself in the best test taking shape as possible.

OK, now to the actual LSAT prep. I finished the LR bible and am now cracking open the LG bible. I figure I can go through the LG Bible the rest of this week.

Of the four sections of RC I have taken I have never scored below -3, mostly I get -2 or -3. I do not think I will get any RC bible. I also have the official LSAT super prep. Maybe that can give me some tips for RC, but overall I feel confident with my RC skills.

LR is still my weakness, but I hope that with practice I can identify my weaknesses and eliminate them. Flaw in the Reasoning questions and Assumption questions seem to be the most difficult for me.

And now, I am beginning my LG study. Hopefully with dedication I can master this subject.

Anyway, I will be adding my PT scores as I take them. I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's. Difficult, I know, but I feel I can work hard enough to get there. Please comment with any advice you think may help in my preparation.


The best idea is to look and learn from this Afghanistani guy. He scored perfect and has also provided detailed explanation:
http://today.appstate.edu/kucab/

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Knock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 am

melinda.corbin wrote:
Matt07 wrote:Hello TLS posters,

I will be following in the footsteps of KnockGlock and some others and use this forum as my LSAT study prep journal. I hope to get some feedback from other posters who have had success on the LSAT.

Currently I am finishing up my senior year of college. While this may or may not be ideal for studying for the LSAT, it is what it is. I am minoring in philosophy so reading Heidegger, Sartre, etc. will probably help my endurance.

Aside from school I am working PT at a pub on Friday and Saturday nights. I have been going to the gym every day for the past month to shoot hoops, lift weights, run about 3+ miles. I have read this can even help you on the LSAT. So pretty much I am trying to develop good habits to keep myself in the best test taking shape as possible.

OK, now to the actual LSAT prep. I finished the LR bible and am now cracking open the LG bible. I figure I can go through the LG Bible the rest of this week.

Of the four sections of RC I have taken I have never scored below -3, mostly I get -2 or -3. I do not think I will get any RC bible. I also have the official LSAT super prep. Maybe that can give me some tips for RC, but overall I feel confident with my RC skills.

LR is still my weakness, but I hope that with practice I can identify my weaknesses and eliminate them. Flaw in the Reasoning questions and Assumption questions seem to be the most difficult for me.

And now, I am beginning my LG study. Hopefully with dedication I can master this subject.

Anyway, I will be adding my PT scores as I take them. I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's. Difficult, I know, but I feel I can work hard enough to get there. Please comment with any advice you think may help in my preparation.


The best idea is to look and learn from this Afghanistani guy. He scored perfect and has also provided detailed explanation:
http://today.appstate.edu/kucab/


Flame?

melinda.corbin
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby melinda.corbin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:43 am

Knockglock wrote:
melinda.corbin wrote:
Matt07 wrote:Hello TLS posters,

I will be following in the footsteps of KnockGlock and some others and use this forum as my LSAT study prep journal. I hope to get some feedback from other posters who have had success on the LSAT.

Currently I am finishing up my senior year of college. While this may or may not be ideal for studying for the LSAT, it is what it is. I am minoring in philosophy so reading Heidegger, Sartre, etc. will probably help my endurance.

Aside from school I am working PT at a pub on Friday and Saturday nights. I have been going to the gym every day for the past month to shoot hoops, lift weights, run about 3+ miles. I have read this can even help you on the LSAT. So pretty much I am trying to develop good habits to keep myself in the best test taking shape as possible.

OK, now to the actual LSAT prep. I finished the LR bible and am now cracking open the LG bible. I figure I can go through the LG Bible the rest of this week.

Of the four sections of RC I have taken I have never scored below -3, mostly I get -2 or -3. I do not think I will get any RC bible. I also have the official LSAT super prep. Maybe that can give me some tips for RC, but overall I feel confident with my RC skills.

LR is still my weakness, but I hope that with practice I can identify my weaknesses and eliminate them. Flaw in the Reasoning questions and Assumption questions seem to be the most difficult for me.

And now, I am beginning my LG study. Hopefully with dedication I can master this subject.

Anyway, I will be adding my PT scores as I take them. I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's. Difficult, I know, but I feel I can work hard enough to get there. Please comment with any advice you think may help in my preparation.


The best idea is to look and learn from this Afghanistani guy. He scored perfect and has also provided detailed explanation:
http://today.appstate.edu/kucab/


Flame?

no flame just helping buddy to get inspiration from this afghani guy.

User avatar
Knock
Posts: 5152
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Knock » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:53 am

melinda.corbin wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
melinda.corbin wrote:
Matt07 wrote:Hello TLS posters,

I will be following in the footsteps of KnockGlock and some others and use this forum as my LSAT study prep journal. I hope to get some feedback from other posters who have had success on the LSAT.

Currently I am finishing up my senior year of college. While this may or may not be ideal for studying for the LSAT, it is what it is. I am minoring in philosophy so reading Heidegger, Sartre, etc. will probably help my endurance.

Aside from school I am working PT at a pub on Friday and Saturday nights. I have been going to the gym every day for the past month to shoot hoops, lift weights, run about 3+ miles. I have read this can even help you on the LSAT. So pretty much I am trying to develop good habits to keep myself in the best test taking shape as possible.

OK, now to the actual LSAT prep. I finished the LR bible and am now cracking open the LG bible. I figure I can go through the LG Bible the rest of this week.

Of the four sections of RC I have taken I have never scored below -3, mostly I get -2 or -3. I do not think I will get any RC bible. I also have the official LSAT super prep. Maybe that can give me some tips for RC, but overall I feel confident with my RC skills.

LR is still my weakness, but I hope that with practice I can identify my weaknesses and eliminate them. Flaw in the Reasoning questions and Assumption questions seem to be the most difficult for me.

And now, I am beginning my LG study. Hopefully with dedication I can master this subject.

Anyway, I will be adding my PT scores as I take them. I hope to score 168+ but am really shooting for low 170's. Difficult, I know, but I feel I can work hard enough to get there. Please comment with any advice you think may help in my preparation.


The best idea is to look and learn from this Afghanistani guy. He scored perfect and has also provided detailed explanation:
http://today.appstate.edu/kucab/


Flame?

no flame just helping buddy to get inspiration from this afghani guy.


Where is the "provided detailed explanation" part that you mentioned? I couldn't find it in the article.

melinda.corbin
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:35 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby melinda.corbin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:02 am

Article answers all the questions of a test taker and I used these words "provided detailed explanation" in that context.

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:02 am

Ok, well I have been working on the LGB lately.

I have gone through advanced linear games and was consistently getting them all correct. This surprised me since I hadn't been picking up linear games that fast. Hopefully the more I go through this the better I become.

My biggest concern is now time. With just over a month away for the LSAT I am worried that I won't have studied enough for this test. Summer would offer me a lot of potential study time, however with my gpa I really need an excellent lsat score to even sniff the bottom of the T14. With so much riding on this test, I'm not sure if I should take it unless I am nearing perfection. I'll see how the rest of my preparation goes. I just want to graduate UG already... two weeks!

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 am

Ouch, I am forecasting some rough times ahead.

Graduation is in two weeks. I learn whether or not I will be offered a certain job early this week. Two papers and studying for four finals will take a toll on me as well. Thus, I haven't been able to study for the LSAT as much as I would like.

I am starting to think more and more about taking the LSAT in October. But I would love to take it in June. By taking it in June I would have the luxury of enjoying summertime at my new job, whatever it may be. I would also have a better idea where I stand with my admissions chances. If it doesn't go so well in June, I could always take it again. I have one question though. If I take the LSAT in October, does that hurt my ED chances at some schools? I will be a splitter if I perform well on the LSAT and have decided it would be smart to ED to a school, like Northwestern or GULC. I don't think it should, but just want to hear others thoughts on my progress.

User avatar
Mr. Smith
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Mr. Smith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:09 am

Matt07 wrote:and have decided it would be smart to ED to a school, like Northwestern


You don't want to waste on ED on Northwestern unless you have work experience.

panjam09
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:58 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby panjam09 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:10 pm

Fitness and LSAT, can't go wrong. Exercise improves higher brain function too.. as does sleep, so be sure to get lots of it.

Matt07
Posts: 16
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Matt07 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:09 am

Mr. Smith wrote:
Matt07 wrote:and have decided it would be smart to ED to a school, like Northwestern


You don't want to waste on ED on Northwestern unless you have work experience.


True, and I also noticed that most Northwestern students have two years of WE before starting Law School there. I only want to work this one year after college. That would give me one solid year of WE, but not two. I think Northwestern would probably prefer I work two.

In this event, I don't really know what LS to apply to ED.

User avatar
Mr. Smith
Posts: 63
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Re: Matt's June 2010 LSAT preparation

Postby Mr. Smith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 am

Matt07 wrote:True, and I also noticed that most Northwestern students have two years of WE before starting Law School there. I only want to work this one year after college. That would give me one solid year of WE, but not two. I think Northwestern would probably prefer I work two.

In this event, I don't really know what LS to apply to ED.


Well, one year is better than none, though. Might wait to see what LSAT you get and then start looking at where you should ED because 1 or 2 points might make a difference on your targets/reaches/safeties.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Instrumental and 2 guests