When you read LR Questions... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dprendergast1

New

When you read LR Questions...

Post by dprendergast1 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:54 pm

How much do you comprehend what is going on in the stimulus the first time you read it? I'm finding most times I do not really understand what is going on in the stimulus either because Im unfocused, the topic is boring, or its written to confuse. I then move on in hopes that something will come to me as I read the question stem and answer choices, and usually, I get a better idea but still I go back and reread the stimulus once or twice more. Is this horrible? How much of an understanding am I supposed to have the first time around, or before I hit the answer choices?

How many times on one question do you all read the stimulus, the question stem, the answers? I think I'm rereading each at least 2wice or up to 4 times just to focus in.

Advice?

tomwatts

Gold

Re: When you read LR Questions...

Post by tomwatts » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:19 pm

This is the reason I read the stem first. If I know what I need to find in the argument, I can understand the reasoning and the structure better and don't have to reread.

Mr. Smith

New

Post by Mr. Smith » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:45 pm

dprendergast1 wrote:How many times on one question do you all read the stimulus, the question stem, the answers? I think I'm rereading each at least 2wice or up to 4 times just to focus in.

Advice?
Ya, dude. With the time factor, rereading a lot is not where you want to be. You want to breeze through as much as possible and save any extra time to work on the harder LR. So for questions 1-15, you don't really want to be rereading much (unless you have parallel reasoning, of course).

Have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD? Maybe you should check into it, if you're having trouble focusing. They have stuff to help with that.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:00 pm

dprendergast1 wrote:How much do you comprehend what is going on in the stimulus the first time you read it? I'm finding most times I do not really understand what is going on in the stimulus either because Im unfocused, the topic is boring, or its written to confuse. I then move on in hopes that something will come to me as I read the question stem and answer choices, and usually, I get a better idea but still I go back and reread the stimulus once or twice more. Is this horrible? How much of an understanding am I supposed to have the first time around, or before I hit the answer choices?

How many times on one question do you all read the stimulus, the question stem, the answers? I think I'm rereading each at least 2wice or up to 4 times just to focus in.

Advice?
If you are looking to score 166+ then I don't think it leaves most people time to re-read.
(Sometimes I skip convoluted questions and come back to them and many times I look to answer choices for clarification but rarely re-read the stimulus due to lack of understanding)
FOCUS IS KEY.
With practice you get better at understanding stimuli, pre-phrasing answers, and knowing words to watch out for (all some, most, many, however, etc).

make sure that you can identify the conclusion and any subconclusion in the argument!

I started reading the question stem first recently on a FEW questions but a) only after I got really good at knowing what to look for and b) I still read hte stimulus first about 85-90% of the time. People are different tho.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”