For those who have had big LR improvement

GoBroncos22!

For those who have had big LR improvement

Postby GoBroncos22! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:58 pm

How have you done it? I have tried many many methods, but have leveled out around -6. But I will still go anywhere from -2 to -9. No real consistency. I have tried going slow, I meticulously go over all my tests and wrong answers and ones I was not 100% on. If I could just get my scores to a consistent -4 even, I would be sittin right where I want. Do people just reach a natural limit of which they are unable to surpass? Even on RC I have managed to go from a -12 to a consistent sub-5. But LR just plain sucks

JJDancer

Re: For those who have had big LR improvement

Postby JJDancer » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:54 pm

LR can be inconsistent. You might not be missing a certain question type but rather a stimulus type (which unfortunately arent really classified by most test prep companies).

I would say keep practicing untimed LR and hope that something clicks.

I miss 3-7 LR per test but often it is -6 in one section and -0 in another so I'm inconsistent too!

GoBroncos22!

Postby GoBroncos22! » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Every time I go over my LR mistakes, I absolutely wanna slap my self in the face!!! Its amazing how much easier the stimulus seems if one just slows down even a tiny bit. I can do -0 on an untimed section, still working briskly however and finish a few minutes over but when I get rushed I just make the dumbest mistakes!!!!!! :x

UFmark

Postby UFmark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:35 am

GoBroncos22! wrote:Every time I go over my LR mistakes, I absolutely wanna slap my self in the face!!! Its amazing how much easier the stimulus seems if one just slows down even a tiny bit. I can do -0 on an untimed section, still working briskly however and finish a few minutes over but when I get rushed I just make the dumbest mistakes!!!!!! :x

You're not alone my friend. With 5-8 extra minutes on LR I miss between 0-2, however with an impending time constraint I tend to be in the 3-5 range :x

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:37 am

-3 on the real test, -0 multiple times.

Honestly, repetition for me was key. I just did so many of them that I didn't really apply any methods to different question types at the end. Once you do enough LR questions, you gain a deep understanding of the questions where you can answer them almost instinctively. I'm sure others can back me up on this.

melinda.corbin

Postby melinda.corbin » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 am

GoBroncos22! wrote:How have you done it? I have tried many many methods, but have leveled out around -6. But I will still go anywhere from -2 to -9. No real consistency. I have tried going slow, I meticulously go over all my tests and wrong answers and ones I was not 100% on. If I could just get my scores to a consistent -4 even, I would be sittin right where I want. Do people just reach a natural limit of which they are unable to surpass? Even on RC I have managed to go from a -12 to a consistent sub-5. But LR just plain sucks

Here is the method to excel in LR:

-A stop watch
-Powerscore LR Guide
-Take some pergative/Laxative night before to clean your stomach and flush all those hog organs, pork chops, animal flesh etc (Damn American food) As It will help you to feel light thereby increasing brain functionality and smartness. That food was designed by founding fathers of America because back then whole focus was to do physical labor, do farming in Texas and develop huge well breeded citizens. They didn't have any idea that today we are preparing these 6 feet rednecks to drive pick up truck but thier 12th generation will curse them because they will need better concentration and smart mind to ace LSAT.
-Do some exercise, meditation to concentrate and kill internal anxiety.
-Believe in gradual practice and consistent improvement. nothing is going to happen overnight.

sk8kim

Postby sk8kim » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:22 pm

JJDancer wrote:LR can be inconsistent. You might not be missing a certain question type but rather a stimulus type (which unfortunately arent really classified by most test prep companies).

I would say keep practicing untimed LR and hope that something clicks.

I miss 3-7 LR per test but often it is -6 in one section and -0 in another so I'm inconsistent too!

What is a stimulus type?

afa_brandon

Postby afa_brandon » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:59 pm

melinda.corbin wrote:That food was designed by founding fathers of America because back then whole focus was to do physical labor, do farming in Texas and develop huge well breeded citizens.

So George Washington invented steak? Christ, I love this country.

AustinJim

Postby AustinJim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 pm

melinda.corbin wrote:...all those hog organs, pork chops, animal flesh etc (Damn American food) As It will help you to feel light thereby increasing brain functionality and smartness. That food was designed by founding fathers of America because back then whole focus was to do physical labor, do farming in Texas and develop huge well breeded citizens. They didn't have any idea that today we are preparing these 6 feet rednecks to drive pick up truck but thier 12th generation will curse them because they will need better concentration and smart mind to ace LSAT.
-Believe in gradual practice and consistent improvement. nothing is going to happen overnight.

As a 6 foot tall Texan I can't help but be offended by this. I don't drive a pickup, and while I do love some charred animal flesh I don't think I have ever eaten "hog organs" knowingly, with the possible exception of hot dogs and the like. I pity your flawed English and diminutive countrymen.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:29 pm

melinda.corbin wrote:
GoBroncos22! wrote:How have you done it? I have tried many many methods, but have leveled out around -6. But I will still go anywhere from -2 to -9. No real consistency. I have tried going slow, I meticulously go over all my tests and wrong answers and ones I was not 100% on. If I could just get my scores to a consistent -4 even, I would be sittin right where I want. Do people just reach a natural limit of which they are unable to surpass? Even on RC I have managed to go from a -12 to a consistent sub-5. But LR just plain sucks

Here is the method to excel in LR:

-A stop watch
-Powerscore LR Guide
-Take some pergative/Laxative night before to clean your stomach and flush all those hog organs, pork chops, animal flesh etc (Damn American food) As It will help you to feel light thereby increasing brain functionality and smartness. That food was designed by founding fathers of America because back then whole focus was to do physical labor, do farming in Texas and develop huge well breeded citizens. They didn't have any idea that today we are preparing these 6 feet rednecks to drive pick up truck but thier 12th generation will curse them because they will need better concentration and smart mind to ace LSAT.

+1.

Also consider the question type that you are getting wrong. The number of assumption, strengthen weaken, flaw, etc, questions types vary from one lr section to another, this could possibly attribute to your inconsistency. If it turns out this is the case, drill yourself on that question type and work out the logic behind it. Visualize, verbalize it, do whatever it takes for you to comprehend it.

Again, don't be a downer about this test, being pessimistic has no place in studying for this, the LSAT is a big enough challenge, you don't need to make your own attitude an obstacle as well. As mentioned above, have faith in your ability to learn and keep drilling at it, you'll improve.

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:31 pm

I used the PowerScore outlining method. I went from an average of ~7 wrong to 4 incorrect on test day. I found it superior to some of the other options, including Kaplan's strategy.

nycparalegal

Postby nycparalegal » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:33 pm

JOThompson wrote:I used the PowerScore outlining method. I went from an average of ~7 wrong to 4 incorrect on test day. I found it superior to some of the other options, including Kaplan's strategy.

What is this outlining method you speak of?

JOThompson

Postby JOThompson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 pm

nycparalegal wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I used the PowerScore outlining method. I went from an average of ~7 wrong to 4 incorrect on test day. I found it superior to some of the other options, including Kaplan's strategy.

What is this outlining method you speak of?

Edit: Reading Comp fail, I missed the whole LR thing. I have the flu, if that helps mitigate my stupidity.

Edit 2: Get the Powerscore LR Bible. Also pick up one of those Kaplan practice books that sorts problems by type. I found that my skills were greatly honed after focusing on one style of problem for an hour or two. Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”