Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby hellokitty » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:41 pm

So, I have been trying to find new ways to master the LG section of the LSAT. Today while at a bookstore, I came across these cards. Has anyone had any experience with these cards or anything similar? At this point I'm willing to try anything to help me on this section!

The cards look like this:

Image

lsatgenius
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby lsatgenius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:23 pm

looks like a rip off. they're trying to lure you in with the packaging. logic games are logic games, and the only ones you should be doing are ones from the preptests. don't waste your time or money.

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. They got so-so reviews on Amazon. Apparently they made some errors on these cards.

jms1987
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby jms1987 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:33 pm

hellokitty wrote:Thanks for the advice. They got so-so reviews on Amazon. Apparently they made some errors on these cards.


x2 I almost bought those a few days ago, but decided against it after reading the Amazon reviews

sumus romani
Posts: 565
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:04 pm

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby sumus romani » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 pm

I don't understand. Have you run out of prep tests? If not, why would anyone consider buying these inferior materials?

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:42 pm

sumus romani wrote:I don't understand. Have you run out of prep tests? If not, why would anyone consider buying these inferior materials?


I still have prep tests and other materials, and the LG bible, etc, etc. With all of that, I still did horribly on the LG section of two LSATs. I was just wondering if a new approach might be the way.

lsatntr
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:57 am

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby lsatntr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:36 pm

hellokitty wrote:I still have prep tests and other materials, and the LG bible, etc, etc. With all of that, I still did horribly on the LG section of two LSATs. I was just wondering if a new approach might be the way.


You've only gone through two LSATs?? That's nothing!

Why not print out all the games from the first 50 preptests, categorize them, and then write out full solutions under timed conditions? If you don't finish every game in under 8 minutes, put them in the "Review pile" and go over them again at a later time. Keep doing this continuously and focus on finding key inferences, on preparing proper diagrams, on listing out possibilities when needed, on chaining rules, etc.

Then use the last 10 preptests for your 5-section fully timed practice. That's really all you need to rock it come game-time.


PS - Yes, those cards are a total rip-off.

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:01 pm

Seriously, stay away from Kaplan or anything else that doesn't use official LSAT problems. Stick to the Bible. And Powerscore has a supplementary book (linked to at the bottom) that has many problems in it, broken down step by step.

http://www.amazon.com/PowerScore-Logic-Workbook-Powerscore-Preparation/dp/0980178282/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102366&sr=8-2

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:20 pm

lsatntr wrote:
hellokitty wrote:I still have prep tests and other materials, and the LG bible, etc, etc. With all of that, I still did horribly on the LG section of two LSATs. I was just wondering if a new approach might be the way.


You've only gone through two LSATs?? That's nothing!

Why not print out all the games from the first 50 preptests, categorize them, and then write out full solutions under timed conditions? If you don't finish every game in under 8 minutes, put them in the "Review pile" and go over them again at a later time. Keep doing this continuously and focus on finding key inferences, on preparing proper diagrams, on listing out possibilities when needed, on chaining rules, etc.

Then use the last 10 preptests for your 5-section fully timed practice. That's really all you need to rock it come game-time.

PS - Yes, those cards are a total rip-off.


I've gone through every LSAT released. When I said two LSATs I meant two actual ones in real life. Sept. 09 and Dec. 09.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on doing something like this in my prep for October.

lsatntr
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:57 am

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby lsatntr » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:39 pm

hellokitty wrote:I've gone through every LSAT released. When I said two LSATs I meant two actual ones in real life. Sept. 09 and Dec. 09.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on doing something like this in my prep for October.



Another method that works wonders (or so I've been told) is tutoring others. But I'm sure if you thoroughly solve a few games every day from now until the test date, you'll do fine in the LG section.

Out of curiosity, what was your score breakdown each time you wrote the test?

hellokitty
Posts: 630
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: Kaplan's Logic Games in Box??

Postby hellokitty » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:41 pm

lsatntr wrote:
hellokitty wrote:I've gone through every LSAT released. When I said two LSATs I meant two actual ones in real life. Sept. 09 and Dec. 09.

Thanks for the suggestion. I plan on doing something like this in my prep for October.



Another method that works wonders (or so I've been told) is tutoring others. But I'm sure if you thoroughly solve a few games every day from now until the test date, you'll do fine in the LG section.

Out of curiosity, what was your score breakdown each time you wrote the test?


Not sure on the other sections, but I went -14 in LG in both Sept. and Dec.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cianchetta0, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests