Advice re: Practice Tests Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Intersect2.0

New

Advice re: Practice Tests

Post by Intersect2.0 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm planning to write a full-length practice test every couple of days between the end of my semester (April 19) and the June exam. This amounts to approx. 20 practice tests. Does it make more sense to write 20 different PTs, therefore ensuring maximum exposure to different questions, or could I repeat some tests? What have you done in this regard?

Thanks! :D

stintez

Bronze

Re: Advice re: Practice Tests

Post by stintez » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

you mean take i do not think i have ever heard of any one writing one except the test makers. Also go get the logic games bibles. You have to remember there are only 50 real practice test out there. So do not just go through them arbitrarily figure out why the answers you get right are correct and the ones you miss why they are wrong.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:29 pm

Assuming you are in the home stretch and are merely working on timing at this point, I would say try not to duplicate tests -- you may not get an accurate feel for how you are actually scoring. Personally, I tended to remember questions that gave me problems so when I saw them again I got the correct answer right away because I remembered fighting through the question previously.

jpSartre

Bronze

Post by jpSartre » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:42 pm

stintez wrote:you mean take i do not think i have ever heard of any one writing one except the test makers.
+1 (hesitantly... which means I'm still a good person)

Intersect2.0

New

Post by Intersect2.0 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:57 pm

jpSartre wrote:
stintez wrote:you mean take i do not think i have ever heard of any one writing one except the test makers.

British/Canadian English --> "write a test" = "take a test"

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stintez

Bronze

Post by stintez » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:11 pm

Intersect2.0 wrote:
jpSartre wrote:

British/Canadian English --> "write a test" = "take a test"
Very interesting I did not know that. I stand corrected.

KibblesAndVick

Silver

Post by KibblesAndVick » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:14 pm

You get a lot more out of taking a test you haven't seen before than you will out of re-taking a test. The main reason for this is that once you've already taken the test you will remember a lot of the questions and answers. This lowers the difficulty, increases your speed, and will lull you into a false sense of security. Instead of having to work through the logic and reasoning of the test you will be relying on your memory. This is bad. Don't do it. It's not the way to go about this.

Moreover, a huge part of getting the best score you can on test day is taking the test in simulated conditions. That is, making your practice tests as identical to the real LSAT as you possibly can. This helps fight the inevitable anxiety you're going to be feeling that morning/afternoon. If you're accustomed to the exact timing and structure of the real LSAT you will be a lot more relaxed and able to focus on the questions themselves. When you take the real LSAT you won't have seen any of the questions before (unless you're using the ultimate study strategy :lol: ). Because of this, you will be better off practicing on tests you've never seen before.

Also, make sure you go over every question on the test after you've taken it. One test that you've reviewed ad nauseam and fully digested mentally is better than two or three tests you simply skimmed over after you calculated your score. Reviewing mistakes and correcting them is the path to greatness.

Intersect2.0

New

Post by Intersect2.0 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 3:39 pm

KibblesAndVick wrote:You get a lot more out of taking a test you haven't seen before than you will out of re-taking a test. The main reason for this is that once you've already taken the test you will remember a lot of the questions and answers. This lowers the difficulty, increases your speed, and will lull you into a false sense of security. Instead of having to work through the logic and reasoning of the test you will be relying on your memory. This is bad. Don't do it. It's not the way to go about this.

Moreover, a huge part of getting the best score you can on test day is taking the test in simulated conditions. That is, making your practice tests as identical to the real LSAT as you possibly can. This helps fight the inevitable anxiety you're going to be feeling that morning/afternoon. If you're accustomed to the exact timing and structure of the real LSAT you will be a lot more relaxed and able to focus on the questions themselves. When you take the real LSAT you won't have seen any of the questions before (unless you're using the ultimate study strategy :lol: ). Because of this, you will be better off practicing on tests you've never seen before.

Also, make sure you go over every question on the test after you've taken it. One test that you've reviewed ad nauseam and fully digested mentally is better than two or three tests you simply skimmed over after you calculated your score. Reviewing mistakes and correcting them is the path to greatness.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Thanks for the feedback! This justifies my decision to spend $$$ on LOTS of practice tests.

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Do you mean you go over your correct answers as well, to reinforce why they were right? Wouldn't that take hours?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Smith

New

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:30 pm

I would take the 20 most recent PTs if I was in your case. Also would go do all the older LGs because LG sections are becoming trickier.

Also, REVIEW, REVIEW, REVIEW. Your goal with these PTs should be to identify your weaknesses and retrain your bad thinking patterns/bad logic.

Mr. Smith

New

Post by Mr. Smith » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:31 pm

Saltqjibo wrote:Do you mean you go over your correct answers as well, to reinforce why they were right? Wouldn't that take hours?
If you have the time, yes.

If not, I placed a small dot beside the ones I was not 100% sure on, even if I got them right and then reviewed those along with the incorrect responses.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”