Quick study question

deputamadre

Quick study question

Postby deputamadre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:06 pm

Would you guys recommend going through each question type (flaw, inference, assumption, etc.) by itself to learn each one better? Say, do 20 assumption questions and then 20 flaw questions, instead of doing a whole test. As of now I'm just taking preptests and reviewing them. I seem to be stuck at a plateau and am deciding whether or not to change my method around.

MrKappus

Re: Quick study question

Postby MrKappus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:08 pm

I think most people on TLS will say intensive work on one question type is how you improve. I vote for strategy change.

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Someone gave me the Kaplan Mastery book so I guess i can start with the "1star" (easy) questions first and work up to the "4 star".

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:20 pm

I used the Kaplan mastery book and liked it, but I recall TLSers warning that they aren't real LSAT questions. Another option is to focus on sections (LG, LR, RC), if you want to be a purist and just use genuine LSAT questions.

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:25 pm

I believe they're real. I've checked a lot of them with the actual preptests and they match up.

jpSartre

Postby jpSartre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:40 pm

MrKappus wrote:I think most people on TLS will say intensive work on one question type is how you improve. I vote for strategy change.

TITCR. Mastery has real question (and only real questions) from approximately 1-40. You may be better advised to get the PT breakdown by question type from the NYC lsat blogger and go through the second two 10-actual books to save PTs, depending on when you're taking the test.

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:28 pm

anyone else have some insight?

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:37 pm

I prefer going by sections instead of individual question types. E.g. one week doing only LR taken from preptests, next week doing RC. This helps me because the test itself requires me to shift gears between question types. The only exception for me is when I miss tons of similar question types, only then will I start focusing solely on that question type. I would recommend trying both methods and seeing which one works better for you.

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:55 pm

KevinP wrote:I prefer going by sections instead of individual question types. E.g. one week doing only LR taken from preptests, next week doing RC. This helps me because the test itself requires me to shift gears between question types. The only exception for me is when I miss tons of similar question types, only then will I start focusing solely on that question type. I would recommend trying both methods and seeing which one works better for you.

Yup, going by sections is basically what I've been doing. I tend to miss mostly flaw and inference questions, so I believe I"ll focus on those question types for a while.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:56 pm

MrKappus wrote:I used the Kaplan mastery book and liked it, but I recall TLSers warning that they aren't real LSAT questions. Another option is to focus on sections (LG, LR, RC), if you want to be a purist and just use genuine LSAT questions.

This is false. ALL Kaplan questions are real LSAT questions. I think most of them even tell you what test they are from.

deputamadre

Postby deputamadre » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:
MrKappus wrote:I used the Kaplan mastery book and liked it, but I recall TLSers warning that they aren't real LSAT questions. Another option is to focus on sections (LG, LR, RC), if you want to be a purist and just use genuine LSAT questions.

This is false. ALL Kaplan questions are real LSAT questions. I think most of them even tell you what test they are from.

This is true. I'm looking at the book right now.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:01 pm

And OP, FWIW, I prefer doing question types individually at first. I studied with the following schedule, and found it to be very helpful:

-Untimed individual question types
-Untimed sections, with dissection of questions for the ones you miss
-Timed sections, with dissection of questions for the ones you miss
-Timed PTs, with dissection of questions for the ones you miss

Once you move to timed sections, you may notice that certain question types trip you up more than others. At that point, go back and do some more untimed individual question types so you can start to see patterns.

The LSAT, while incredibly difficult, is a very regimented and pattern-oriented beast. Once you start to see patterns, your times and accuracy will improve. The best way to recognize these patterns is by studying individual questions over and over. Or at least that is what I found to work best.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:04 pm

deputamadre wrote:Thanks for the quick response. Someone gave me the Kaplan Mastery book so I guess i can start with the "1star" (easy) questions first and work up to the "4 star".

1 - For LR questions, I found it best to master the assumptions first, because most of the other question types will hinge on what is being assumed (i.e. flaw, strengthen, weaken, etc). You don't really have the same ability to master things on games and RC.

2 - Kaplan's questions are real questions from real tests. I don't know why people use "fake" questions, but I would definitely steer away from the fake questions.

3 - for Flaw questions, if you have the Kaplan books, try to locate the "12 common flaws". Knowing these really helps, as does seeing each one in action.

4 - I think JPSartre is correct (but maybe not necessarily with his/her PT numbers). I seem to recall there being three books: mastery, pacing, endurance. The three books did not have any overlap and provided both timed sections and complete timed tests.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:58 pm

romothesavior wrote:

This is false. The Kaplan Mastery Book uses real LSAT questions. In fact, all of Kaplan's prep course materials use genuine questions. But some of Kaplan's commercial materials do not, as is made expressly clear when materials have questions but don't acknowledge LSAC. The inability to do basic research before making blanket statements on this site is stunning.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”