LSAT question!

nneamakaeze

LSAT question!

Postby nneamakaeze » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Could someone please tell me the answer to this question and explain it too? Thank you!
Eight large craters run in a long straight line across a geographical region. Although some of the craters contain rocks that have undergone high-pressure shocks characteristic of meteorites slamming into Earth, these shocks could also have been caused by extreme volcanic events. Because of the linearity of the craters, it is very unlikely that some of them were caused by meteorites. Thus, since the craters are all different ages, they were probably caused by volcanic events rather than meteorites.

Which one of the following statements, if true, would most strengthen the argument?
A. A similar but shorter line of craters that are all the same age is known to have been caused by volcanic activity.
B. No known natural causes would likely account for eight meteorite craters of different ages forming a straight line.
C. There is no independent evidence of either meteorites or volcanic activity in the region where the craters are located.
D. There is no independent evidence of a volcanic event strong enough to have created the high-pressure shocks that are characteristic of meteorites slamming into Earth.
E. No known single meteor shower has created exactly eight impact craters that form a straight line.

Atlas LSAT Teacher

Re: LSAT question!

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:07 pm

(B)

BTW, you should not post LSAT question text -- LSAC doesn't like that.

nneamakaeze

Postby nneamakaeze » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:43 pm

Atlas LSAT Teacher wrote:(B)

Oh wow really? I didn't know that! How do I get my questions answered then? Been having some trouble with a number of questions :(

chicagobullsfan

Postby chicagobullsfan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:45 pm

nneamakaeze wrote:
Atlas LSAT Teacher wrote:(B)

Oh wow really? I didn't know that! How do I get my questions answered then? Been having some trouble with a number of questions :(

refer to the PT, along with the question number, or the page of the book you are using. you don't have to write out the whole problem.

if it's not in any of those, then it's probably not worth doing anyway since it probably isn't a "real" LSAT question.

FreeGuy

Postby FreeGuy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Refer to them by PrepTest # (and/or Month & Date), Section #, Question #.

Most people who explain questions will have the relevant exam, so they can refer to it and answer your question.

For example:

PT20 (Oct 96), Section 1, Question 3

or

PT20 (Oct 96), S1, Q3

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:49 pm

I agree with B.

apom

Postby apom » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:07 pm

wow what a lack of explanations. I'm pretty sure the poster knew what the correct answer was. I'll attempt to explain this for anyone else that is looking for help with this question. The stimulus states that there is 8 large craters running in a long straight line. some of the craters have rocks in them that have undergone high pressure shocks, which according to the stimulus have 2 causes. Either they are cause by meteorites slamming into the earth or they are caused by extreme volcanic activity. The author concludes that because of the linearity of the craters it's unlikely that some were cause by meteorites and some were caused by volcanic activity. The author believes because of there linearity there was only 1 cause of the high pressure rocks in some of the craters. The author then proceeds to rule out the possibility of it being meteorites due to the different ages of the craters. Based on this the author concludes that it was probably volcanic events that were the cause.

A) same age? How would that help were concerned with different ages.
B) yes, this eliminates the possibility of it being the meteorites, therefore strengthening the likelihood that it was volcanic activity. This answer choice undermines the possibility that meteorite craters of different ages being able to form a straight line. (what occurred in the stimulus.
C) Doesn't need to be. + this is more likely to weaken
D) This would weaken
E) Tempting but were concerned with the various different ages of the craters. some older then the other. How would a single meteorite shower create significantly older/younger craters. (I'm ruling out the couple minute difference of them landing) also this answer choice mentions that there hasn't been 8 craters cause by a meteorite impact. There doesn't have to be 8. The stimulus is talking about some.

foggynotion

Postby foggynotion » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:03 am

What test is this from?

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:08 am

In before a mod.

Grond

Postby Grond » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 am

dextermorgan wrote:In before a mod.

In before Caveon Test Security.
Last edited by Grond on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:44 am

User apom that resurrected this old thread with a sure to get it edited and locked reply should be renamed napolm by admin while they click the buttons.

Ok, I planted my flag before it was too late too!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”