Is 8 weeks long enough?

usna02

Is 8 weeks long enough?

Postby usna02 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:57 pm

I am beginning my LSAT Prep today. Is 8 weeks enough time (I'm taking the 6/7 exam)? I took a timed practice exam and scored 140 (certain spots frustrated me--mainly Games). I am currently working 25 hrs a week by the way.

I'm thinking of studying 4 hrs/day for 6 days a week (one day off to relax). Any advice??

Flanker1067

Re: Is 8 weeks long enough?

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 pm

Deleted because I think there is other, better advice.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:02 pm

In short, no. I would say 4 months at least if you're starting from scratch, though some will say that's excessive.

cavebat2000

Postby cavebat2000 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:03 pm

No. Not if you diagnose at 140.

Studying 4+ hours a day everyday of the week is gonna introduce a new difficulty to overcome: mental fatigue. You won't know whether you are scoring poorly because you are mentally fatigued or because of some other reasons. Develope a 15-20 minute routine you do everyday but only study for 4 hours every other day.

If you aren't ready to take the test by June, take it in September but make sure your apps are ready to go by the time you get your score back.

Also, if people say "yeah go ahead" be sure they tell you what score they got before you listen to closely to them.

(got a 171 on real test after a 147 initial diagnostic)

usna02

Postby usna02 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:53 pm

How long did you study for to get that 171?

cavebat2000 wrote:No. Not if you diagnose at 140.

Studying 4+ hours a day everyday of the week is gonna introduce a new difficulty to overcome: mental fatigue. You won't know whether you are scoring poorly because you are mentally fatigued or because of some other reasons. Develope a 15-20 minute routine you do everyday but only study for 4 hours every other day.

If you aren't ready to take the test by June, take it in September but make sure your apps are ready to go by the time you get your score back.

Also, if people say "yeah go ahead" be sure they tell you what score they got before you listen to closely to them.

(got a 171 on real test after a 147 initial diagnostic)

usna02

Postby usna02 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:54 pm

4 months does sound excessive (no offense). I actually was pretty nervous taking the diagnostic and literally guessed on a bunch of stuff.

Kiersten1985 wrote:In short, no. I would say 4 months at least if you're starting from scratch, though some will say that's excessive.

Campagnolo

Postby Campagnolo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:02 pm

What is your goal? What score do you need to go to the schools you want to get into? That will help determine whether 4 months is enough time.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:37 pm

I went from initial diagnostic 154 to PTing near or at a 180 in about two months, studying at about the level that you're intending to study at. But I think my case is not typical: I'm usually good at standardized tests and was already an SAT teacher, among other things.

It definitely depends on the score that you'd like. If you just want to break a 150 and get in somewhere, you're probably okay. If you're looking to break a 160, that's a reach in 2 months; you need to be pretty diligent and have somewhat fortunate circumstances. If you're going for a 170, I'm not going to say it can't be done, but it'd be a reach under any circumstances, and 2 months is awfully short for that. Typical times for raising scores significantly are 2-4 months.

Also, I don't think that fatigue is likely to be a serious problem if studying roughly 4 hours a day while working roughly 5 hours a day. That's not much more than a full work day normally anyway, and while the LSAT is intense, I don't think that's too awful. But do watch out for it: if you tire yourself out too much, you may need to take a day or two off.

usna02

Postby usna02 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks. I'm looking to break 160. Breaking 170 would be like hitting the loto. Plus, I'm not looking for Tier 1 anyhow.

tomwatts wrote:I went from initial diagnostic 154 to PTing near or at a 180 in about two months, studying at about the level that you're intending to study at. But I think my case is not typical: I'm usually good at standardized tests and was already an SAT teacher, among other things.

It definitely depends on the score that you'd like. If you just want to break a 150 and get in somewhere, you're probably okay. If you're looking to break a 160, that's a reach in 2 months; you need to be pretty diligent and have somewhat fortunate circumstances. If you're going for a 170, I'm not going to say it can't be done, but it'd be a reach under any circumstances, and 2 months is awfully short for that. Typical times for raising scores significantly are 2-4 months.

Also, I don't think that fatigue is likely to be a serious problem if studying roughly 4 hours a day while working roughly 5 hours a day. That's not much more than a full work day normally anyway, and while the LSAT is intense, I don't think that's too awful. But do watch out for it: if you tire yourself out too much, you may need to take a day or two off.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:52 pm

Even if you're just looking to break 160, raising your score 20+ points is going to take longer than 8 weeks.

articulably suspect

Postby articulably suspect » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 pm

usna02 wrote:Thanks. I'm looking to break 160. Breaking 170 would be like hitting the loto. Plus, I'm not looking for Tier 1 anyhow.
tomwatts wrote:I went from initial diagnostic 154 to PTing near or at a 180 in about two months, studying at about the level that you're intending to study at. But I think my case is not typical: I'm usually good at standardized tests and was already an SAT teacher, among other things.

May I ask why? Don’t forget, even if you’re only shooting for the lower ranked school, the higher your LSAT(depending on your gpa) the more likely it will be that you get scholly money from them.

JasonR

Postby JasonR » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:59 pm

usna02 wrote:Thanks. I'm looking to break 160. Breaking 170 would be like hitting the loto. Plus, I'm not looking for Tier 1 anyhow.

Even if you aren't looking at a T1 school, you should put in the time to improve significantly instead of rushing to take the test. It would be nice to go to whatever school you want to attend for free or on a nice scholarship, wouldn't it? Your LSAT will probably matter more for that than anything else.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:00 pm

I think 2-3 months is the right amount of time (or at least it was for me). 8 weeks is probably a little low, especially if you have a really low diagnostic.

I think you need:
-6 weeks to do untimed sections and dissect questions (and allocate certain weeks for just LG or RC... don't mix it up)
-4 weeks to start doing timed individual sections, and dissect your missed questions afterwards
-2/3 weeks to do full-blown tests, and dissect your missed questions afterwards

usna02

Postby usna02 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:46 pm

I'm not concerned about the scholarship money

ejjones wrote:

May I ask why? Don’t forget, even if you’re only shooting for the lower ranked school, the higher your LSAT(depending on your gpa) the more likely it will be that you get scholly money from them.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”