LSAT Score For Grad School?

christinalsat

LSAT Score For Grad School?

Postby christinalsat » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:33 am

I'm taking the lsat in June, but have also been toying with the idea of grad school. Does anyone know of any grad school programs that accept lsat scores? I know a lot of schools accept gmat scores, but a friend recently mentioned that a bunch of MPP programs accept the lsat as well. I haven't been able to find any. Anyone know?

rolark

Re: LSAT Score For Grad School?

Postby rolark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:57 am

When other graduate schools accept the LSAT, it's almost exclusively for dual degree programs being pursued in the same school. For example, if you've been accepted to Michigan for law school, you may use your LSAT in place of the GRE when applying to its Ford School of Public policy and a few other MA programs.

Remember that the LSAT doesn't measure your capacity to handle quantitative things, so many will want this displayed in other ways (economics and statistics classes in undergrad for a MPP, etc.). Also, I don't think you'll find many PhD programs that will accept the LSAT, even with a dual degree.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am

You need to take the GRE for grad school, but don't worry, it's an easy test. Virtually identical to the SAT.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:39 pm

UFMatt wrote:You need to take the GRE for grad school, but don't worry, it's an easy test. Virtually identical to the SAT.

Well, the current GRE and the current SAT are pretty different. But the GRE looks a lot like the SAT of 20 years ago.

Though the GRE is changing soon.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:43 pm

Some of the above posters don't know what they're talking about.

Many MPP and MPA programs will take the LSAT in place of the GRE. This does not have to be a dual degree program. Some admissions offices publish this information, some don't, but will allow you to use the LSAT if you call their office and get approval.

MPP and MPA are about it though, unless you're doing something like Criminal Justice.

rolark

Postby rolark » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

holydonkey wrote:Some of the above posters don't know what they're talking about.

Many MPP and MPA programs will take the LSAT in place of the GRE. This does not have to be a dual degree program. Some admissions offices publish this information, some don't, but will allow you to use the LSAT if you call their office and get approval.

MPP and MPA are about it though, unless you're doing something like Criminal Justice.

I haven't seen any MPP/MPA programs - at least not top programs - that will accept the LSAT if you're not doing a dual degree within their school. Which MPP/MPA schools allow this?

xyzzzzzzzz

Postby xyzzzzzzzz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:50 pm

:)

tenlaw

Postby tenlaw » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:50 pm

Georgetown, for example, will accept the LSAT in place of the GRE when applying for their MPP program. See the below quote from their website:

"LSAT scores can be submitted for the MPP/JD dual degree or for a MPP-only degree. If you are submitting the LSAT for the MPP-only degree and have minimal quantitative coursework, please contact the admissions office."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”