Monster LG Game: PrepTest 2, #13-17

MagnumLifeStyle

Monster LG Game: PrepTest 2, #13-17

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:59 pm

I had no problem doing other LGs except these on this PrepTest (about Hannah spending 14 days travelling different cities in X Y Z).

I finished reading / doing all the drills of PowerScore LG Bible, and I can't even be sure under what classification this game would fall under.

For those of you who succesfully completed LG of PrepTest 2, could you please share your tips/insights? I'll greatly appreciate it.

yoni45

Re: Monster LG Game: PrepTest 2, #13-17

Postby yoni45 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:55 am

You could set this up as grouping under X, Y, and Z, but instead of elements, using tick marks to take note of days spent in each country (you can place them in small groups within each country to denote individual cities).

We know we have a total of 14 days, but she spends at least 2 days in each city.

We know that she visits exactly 6 cities total, which accounts for at least 12 days (min. 2/day). That leaves us with only 2 days unaccounted for to be spread between the various cities she stays at. That means either that 1 of the cities she goes to will get 2 extra days, for a total of 4, or that 2 of the cities she goes to will get 1 extra day each, for a total of 3. The rest of the cities have only 2 days each.

She visits at least 1 city in each country, so that accounts for at least 2 days in each city, so at least 6 days are already accounted for in each country -- there are at most 8 days remaining to be distributed.

With that in mind, the rest of the game shouldn't be too bad:

13. If exactly 8 days in country X, we know there are at least 2 days in Y, and 2 days in Z, giving us a total of 12. We don't know much about the split between cities, so let's go with what we do know...

(A) She visits 2 cities in country X? Impossible -- that's too many days. We established up front that either *one* city has 4 days and every other one has 2, or *two* cities have 3 days and every other one has 2. Either way, we can't get to 8 days with only 2 cities regardless of how we slice it.

14. If she visits equal number of cities in each country, that means 2, 2, and 2. The max she can spend in X would be 6 for the two cities -- either 3+3, or 4+2.

15. If 3 days in Y, 7 in Z, we know that the split between the days will have to be 2,2,2,2,3,3 (as per our original deduction for the only possible ways to split the days). That means Y has 3, Z has 2,2,3, leaving X with 2,2. (D) must be false, as she cannot visit 2 cities in Z -- she visits 3.

16. if she spends the max number of days in Nomo, and least elsewhere, that means that Nomo gets 4, and everywhere else gets 2 (as per our deduction on possibilities for day splits).

Now, this question's a bitch because it's stated as a must be true question, but it turns into a could be true because the answer choices are all qualified by 'can' statements.

(B) here is correct, because it "must be true" that Hannah "can" visit 4 cities in country Y.

17. If she visits 4 cities between X and Y, then if we're looking for the max number of possible days in Y, we can assume she spends 3 days there. Giving the most days to those cities gives us a split of either, 4,2,2, or 3,3,2. Either way, we get 8.

Hope this helped... =)

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:33 pm

Hey Yoni45,

Thank you so much for your response!

But I was kind of having difficulty following your logic, particularly in your explanation for #15.

How do you know that the split between the days will have to be 2,2,2,2,3,3,

and that Y will have 3 and Z will have 2,2,3, leaving X with 2,2?

yoni45

Postby yoni45 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:08 pm

MagnumLifeStyle wrote:Hey Yoni45,

Thank you so much for your response!

But I was kind of having difficulty following your logic, particularly in your explanation for #15.

How do you know that the split between the days will have to be 2,2,2,2,3,3,

and that Y will have 3 and Z will have 2,2,3, leaving X with 2,2?

Well, the question tells us that 3 days will be spent in Y, and 7 days will be spent in Z.

From our initial deductions, we established that the total spread between cities can be one of two:

2,2,2,2,3,3; or 2,2,2,2,2,4.

That's based on the fact that every city has at least 2 days in it, and there are exactly 6 cities. That means that a minimum of 12 days will be spread between the six cities. Since the game tells us there is a total of 14 days, that means that we only have 2 days remaining to distribute... So either we distribute them individually, and we get 2 cities with 3 days each, or we give 1 city both days, in which case we get 1 city with 4 days.

Ie: 2,2,2,2,3,3; or 2,2,2,2,2,4.

For #15, if country Y has 3 days in it, there's only 1 way for that to happen -- we have to be working with the 2,2,2,2,3,3 model, and Y gets one of the 3 day cities. If Z has 7 days, one of those will be 3, the rest 2 -- hence: 2,2,3. The remaining go to X, which are 2,2.

Let me know if anything? ^_^

MagnumLifeStyle

Postby MagnumLifeStyle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 pm

yon45,

Thank you so much for answering my follow-up question -- that really clarified the nature of the question. I guess it's important to have a kind of template (2,2,2,2,3,3) in mind at the onset of trying to solve the questions. With that in mind, as you said, the problem doesn't look that hard at all.

again, thank you so much and I hope your response also helps future TLS users in the generations to come!

-Magnum

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”