October 2010 Test Prep

3|ink

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:33 pm

Adu wrote:
lastch2 wrote:
Adu wrote:Do you guys feel that the more you take PTs the better you understand what the test makers want? I dont know if my question makes sense, but it feels that the more you do the better grasp you get and all tests become somewhat similar.

I think the more I take the more I recognize the test makers want you to screw up, thus I become better prepared to ignore their trickery.....sometimes... :oops:

That what the Powerscore Bibles say, that the def want you to mess up!

If I were paid to mess you up, I'd do everything in my power to confuse you.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:43 pm

I just tried to take a full prep test but was rudely interrupted by telephone calls and plans being sped way up. Don't these people know I'm trying to attack the LSAT? Although to give my mom credit, when she phoned and said "hey, what are you up too?" and I said "trying to figure out who can be on the sales team, production team, and management" she understood I was working on the LSAT lol.

Anyways, I got 3/4 of the way through Prep Test #38 and am soooo unimpressed with how I'm doing. I know the score won't even count because I'll have to do the fourth section later (I always count just to "see" what the score would have been if I'd done it altogether, even though I don't take it too seriously as a reflection of my progress) - but man, -3LR, -5LG, -2RC. -5LG! WTF! I also finished at the VERY LAST second haha. I also just re-read that sentence to say "I finished at the very LSAT second" ahaha, oh dear. Poor brain. Although I did finish LR with 15 minutes to spare, and RC with 10 minutes to spare.

I've come to view the RC section as a nice cheerful break between scary LG and frustrating LR.

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:55 pm

eit wrote:I just tried to take a full prep test but was rudely interrupted by telephone calls and plans being sped way up. Don't these people know I'm trying to attack the LSAT? Although to give my mom credit, when she phoned and said "hey, what are you up too?" and I said "trying to figure out who can be on the sales team, production team, and management" she understood I was working on the LSAT lol.

Anyways, I got 3/4 of the way through Prep Test #38 and am soooo unimpressed with how I'm doing. I know the score won't even count because I'll have to do the fourth section later (I always count just to "see" what the score would have been if I'd done it altogether, even though I don't take it too seriously as a reflection of my progress) - but man, -3LR, -5LG, -2RC. -5LG! WTF! I also finished at the VERY LAST second haha. I also just re-read that sentence to say "I finished at the very LSAT second" ahaha, oh dear. Poor brain. Although I did finish LR with 15 minutes to spare, and RC with 10 minutes to spare.

I've come to view the RC section as a nice cheerful break between scary LG and frustrating LR.

I tried to do a whole test and was behind as far as the time; I think I am just going to read the bibles and practice as I progress and hopefully i'll be quicker. It's starting to stress me out. I usually dont stress out this much, but the LSAT being so important is overwhelming emotionally. If you guys have any tips to handle the stress. How many hours a week to you spend on it? I will be taking four classes this Fall and I work 35-40 hours a week; I need to set myself a set schedule.

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Have any of you learned how to "speed read"? The University i am attending is offering a class, but it's $335.00; I want to make sure it's worth it. I think it could be very helpful for the LSAT as well as Law School.
Please share your experiences as well as opinions :-)

Thanks a lot!

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:13 pm

eit wrote:I just tried to take a full prep test but was rudely interrupted by telephone calls and plans being sped way up. Don't these people know I'm trying to attack the LSAT? Although to give my mom credit, when she phoned and said "hey, what are you up too?" and I said "trying to figure out who can be on the sales team, production team, and management" she understood I was working on the LSAT lol.

Good lord. I can see finishing early on LR, but 15 minutes? And I can never finish more than a minute early on RC. I don't know how you do it.

For me, the stress per section hierarchy is LR>RC>LG.

PS: -5 LG isn't that bad. You're only at -10 now. That's still a 170+ on most tests. Just take your time on the "lsat" LR section.
Last edited by 3|ink on Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:26 pm

Adu wrote:Have any of you learned how to "speed read"? The University i am attending is offering a class, but it's $335.00; I want to make sure it's worth it. I think it could be very helpful for the LSAT as well as Law School.

Thanks a lot!

i don't know how to "speed read" but some of my friends took those courses in the mid-2000's when there was a resurgence in popularity and the consensus was it was great for quickly getting through something, but if and only if the piece wasn't particularly challenging and/or out of the ordinary. they could speed through stories, but on something like RC it wouldn't be effective.

the flaw in this argument is: the author attempts to draw a conclusion based on an insufficient sample of the population... :?:
this was just the opinion of a couple of friends, though

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:28 pm

lastch2 wrote:
Adu wrote:Have any of you learned how to "speed read"? The University i am attending is offering a class, but it's $335.00; I want to make sure it's worth it. I think it could be very helpful for the LSAT as well as Law School.

Thanks a lot!

i don't know how to "speed read" but some of my friends took those courses in the mid-2000's when there was a resurgence in popularity and the consensus was it was great for quickly getting through something, but if and only if the piece wasn't particularly challenging and/or out of the ordinary. they could speed through stories, but on something like RC it wouldn't be effective.

the flaw in this argument is: the author attempts to draw a conclusion based on an insufficient sample of the population... :?:
this was just the opinion of a couple of friends, though

Thanks! It does help I havent spoken to anyone that has taken any of those courses; therefore, I have NO CLUE.
I appreciate your input :-)

HOV

Postby HOV » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:31 pm

3|ink wrote:

Good lord. I can see finishing early on LR, but 15 minutes? And I can never finish more than a minute early on RC. I don't know how you do it.

For me, the stress per section hierarchy is LR>RC>LG.

i just can't fathom finishing 15 minutes early...on any section. i just can't. when you approach each question, what exactly is your general technique? what is it about your approach to LR questions that stays the same from question to question? maybe i should try to incorporate that into my approach.

i.e. do you tend to just recognize the right answer choice, pick it, and move on without glancing at the wrong ones? or are you just a fast reader?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Damn it all to hell. I got a 153 in December after moderate study. I spent the whole summer studying, and took a PT 46 yesterday. I got a 152!!! I am trying to improve my timing, but no matter what I do I cannot finish. I got through 2 games (all correct answers), 3 RC passages (1 wrong from the ones I did), and most of LR (didn't get to 4 questions per section). I filled in random letters for the questions I did not have time for such as a D all across the board. I can do the problems, but I feel so damn rushed. Why am I such a slow reader. I took a different approach to LR by reading the question first. This week I might try reading the stimulus first like I used to. At least for LR even though I got -8 and -11 if I push I might finish in time. I feel like I have a good grasp on the LSAT because of my studies, but when doing whole tests it is as if I have to wildly guess and rush to finish on time. I don't have time to look at each answer choice in LR and RC.

My plan was to do 45-60 by the October test since I already looked at most of the other tests for practice, and then to review each PT along with some weird games. It looks like my studying only helped if I sit down and not worry about timing. I don't know what to do now. LG and RC vary for me with timing. Sometimes I will be better offer, other times I am just completed screwed.

I started to read the question stem for LR and then the stimulus, didn't notice much of a help with timing or help with answering the questions. Sometimes I had to reread the question again. I need to do the 10 in 10 or 15 in 15. That should help me out. It looks like I won't be seeing a 160 let alone a 165 like I hoped for. I am losing my motivation for this test. If I wasn't such a damn slow piece of crap, I would be better off.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 4:50 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Damn it all to hell. I got a 153 in December after moderate study. I spent the whole summer studying, and took a PT 46 yesterday. I got a 152!!! I am trying to improve my timing, but no matter what I do I cannot finish. I got through 2 games (all correct answers), 3 RC passages (1 wrong from the ones I did), and most of LR (didn't get to 4 questions per section). I filled in random letters for the questions I did not have time for such as a D all across the board. I can do the problems, but I feel so damn rushed. Why am I such a slow reader. I took a different approach to LR by reading the question first. This week I might try reading the stimulus first like I used to. At least for LR even though I got -8 and -11 if I push I might finish in time. I feel like I have a good grasp on the LSAT because of my studies, but when doing whole tests it is as if I have to wildly guess and rush to finish on time. I don't have time to look at each answer choice in LR and RC.

My plan was to do 45-60 by the October test since I already looked at most of the other tests for practice, and then to review each PT along with some weird games. It looks like my studying only helped if I sit down and not worry about timing. I don't know what to do now. LG and RC vary for me with timing. Sometimes I will be better offer, other times I am just completed screwed.

I started to read the question stem for LR and then the stimulus, didn't notice much of a help with timing or help with answering the questions. Sometimes I had to reread the question again. I need to do the 10 in 10 or 15 in 15. That should help me out. It looks like I won't be seeing a 160 let alone a 165 like I hoped for. I am losing my motivation for this test. If I wasn't such a damn slow piece of crap, I would be better off.

If you're a slow reader, the only cure is reading. I can't tell if you're in a rush to take the test, but if you're not, maybe you could take a month or two off to read some difficult material. This helped me a little. It might help others a lot.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:03 pm

The stupid thing about all of this is that I know I improved, it's just that there is no improvement to show because I can't do it properly under the timed conditions. Doing timed sections is pointless for me from what I can see now. The only way to stimulate the real thing is to do the 5 section test. Well, the good news is I have 2 months.

txsunshine

Postby txsunshine » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:51 pm

ahaha thanks for the LOL on my study break. We are in similar positions. I seem to be at ~ -4LR; -7LG; -2RC; finishing LR and RC with 5 minutes to spare. <3 RC! So what is the ideal setup for you on test day? I kind of want RC to show up first to build my confidence, but as my strongest section, maybe its best to have last when my brain is starting to go numb....?? Also hope the experimental is NOT LG, it freaks me out.

faexylona

Postby faexylona » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:13 pm

October is just around the corner and where am I?

Enrolled in powerscore prep class
Studying everyday for the Lsat for at least three hours
two practice test
And a score of 139 :evil:

I am shooting for a 180, at least a 170. Do I feel discouraged by my score? No.
Sure, I do want to cry, but I am not going to break down. This is just means I need to study more. I am not being not realistic. I know myself and my perseverance.

So what am I going to do about it?

Study more.

I will take two practice test per week. This will give me time to review my mistakes.
Study what I have learned since June, (when prep class began)
Buy a silent timer
Buy Kaplan 180 book (It came recommended by an instructor in powerscore. Information on his advice is found in answers.yahoo).

If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. And good luck to all of you :wink:

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:07 pm

Just hit 168 on PT 22

LG -1
LR -4
LR -4
RC -7 :( Kids at starbucks were screaming like it was the apocalypse

my LR is my weakest point but RC kicked my ass, the curve on this test was super generous as well... so back to the books!

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Dripworx wrote:Just hit 168 on PT 22

LG -1
LR -4
LR -4
RC -7 :( Kids at starbucks were screaming like it was the apocalypse

my LR is my weakest point but RC kicked my ass, the curve on this test was super generous as well... so back to the books!

Jeez, you're making awesome progress! Isn't your goal 170?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:22 pm

Damn, I hate all of you.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:23 pm

RC fun update:

attempted a RC section without doing any note taking and found it difficult to stay focused and ontop of the article. While I was able to get through the reading quicker, and able to complete the entire section in time, I had to constantly go back through the article to find the right spot, and made more mistakes on the questions.

Attempted another RC section doing some notes, and was able to get through 3 and a half sections. Missed anywhere between 1 and 3 questions per passage. Not totally happy with the performance, but this was a good exercise to see what method works better for me. Just have to adjust my markings and write in shorthand along the margins and i think ill be fine. Does anyone else notice that its harder to stay focused in RC when you arent marking? I found myself skimimg more, and understanding less. Anyone know of a good way to practice marking up a passage so that you mark only important things, and not unecessary info?

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:34 pm

Well I still mark without using a formal notation system. Underlining works surprisingly well - you're underlining key points, not necessarily so you can check it back later but to help you comprehend as you're reading. You should still be circling key words, names, and notating viewpoints somehow on the side. Other than that, don't worry about other notations, it should be a very simple system. I can imagine the questions would be hard without any form of underlining or circling.

Not notating simply means your main priority is reading to comprehend rather than to notate. It works damn well, at least for me and many others on TLS. However, I think different strategies will work for different people. Keep on experimenting with different types of notation. The idea is that if you notate so much and put in a conscious effort into it, it heavily distracts you and takes up a lot of time. While I notate, I'm not really consciously notating, it's very natural and doesn't interfere with my reading. I'm a slow reader but I'm able to do sections in 7-10 minutes now, much better than the 10-13 minutes it was taking me when I would consciously notate and mark.

Next time you do a RC section, try underlining major points to help instill it in your mind, circle key names/terms, and put a simple V on the side to indicate opinions/criticisms/etc (along with whose viewpoint it is). On the earlier (aka easier) RC sections, I've brought down my score from an inconsistent -7-10 to a more respectable -6 average. I actually got -3 on the RC of my last PT, my best before changing strategies was a -7.

northwood wrote:RC fun update:

attempted a RC section without doing any note taking and found it difficult to stay focused and ontop of the article. While I was able to get through the reading quicker, and able to complete the entire section in time, I had to constantly go back through the article to find the right spot, and made more mistakes on the questions.

Attempted another RC section doing some notes, and was able to get through 3 and a half sections. Missed anywhere between 1 and 3 questions per passage. Not totally happy with the performance, but this was a good exercise to see what method works better for me. Just have to adjust my markings and write in shorthand along the margins and i think ill be fine. Does anyone else notice that its harder to stay focused in RC when you arent marking? I found myself skimimg more, and understanding less. Anyone know of a good way to practice marking up a passage so that you mark only important things, and not unecessary info?

HOV

Postby HOV » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:43 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Damn, I hate all of you.

let your hate consume you fam. let it fuel you and take you to great heights.

personally, i find nothing more motivating nor anything more compelling than being surpassed by my peers.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:41 pm

HOV wrote:

personally, i find nothing more motivating nor anything more compelling than being surpassed by my peers.

That usually works for me, but lately I have been coming up short. So, the frustration has been tripled. I was so pissed off I got question #1 wrong on LR today lol. Usually after #10, but oh well. I just hope something amazing will happen one of these days, so all my work doesn't go down the shitter.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
HOV wrote:

That usually works for me, but lately I have been coming up short. So, the frustration has been tripled. I was so pissed off I got question #1 wrong on LR today lol. Usually after #10, but oh well. I just hope something amazing will happen one of these days, so all my work doesn't go down the shitter.

I got question 1 wrong in my second LR today on PT 35. It happens.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:10 pm

I just found out a friend of a friend is also taking the LSAT. We're going to study together.

I have the evil desire to sabotage her to reduce my competition.

OrdinarilySkilled

Postby OrdinarilySkilled » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:13 pm

Anyone else get all of the "what did the author mean by this term" questions wrong in RC? I want to throw something through a wall when I see these. Any tips on these?

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:17 pm

just took timed PT 27 -2LR -5LG -5RC -4LR...170. i'm assuming this must have been really hard because -15 got me a 166 a few days ago, but i'm too tired to care. i tried doing summaries next to each paragraph on RC and thought it really worked, i felt like i understood the passages much better but still a pretty disappointing RC score. LG almost made me cry in public...i'm becoming worried that in a moment of crisis i'm going to assault the kids playing magic cards, get arrested and never go to law school ultimately leading to a life of crime.

that's it. lsat is officially taking it's toll. there need's to be a crazy face to insert here.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:35 pm

Hannibal wrote:I just found out a friend of a friend is also taking the LSAT. We're going to study together.

I have the evil desire to sabotage her to reduce my competition.

haha today it's sabotaging the lsat, next year it's burning notebooks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”