October 2010 Test Prep

yzero1

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby yzero1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:31 pm

Day2Daze wrote:Ive hit a major RC wall. No improvement for awhile and its still my worst section. If I read any more Economists I might puke. I started using some MCAT RC passages for practice but its hard with those then to tell what the score would convert to LSAT...and Im still getting questions wrong.

Any advice?? Anyone have RC figured out and wanna give some pointers? RC is what is stopping me from crossing 171 atm.

I used to struggle with RC before too (sometimes getting up to -7 per section). I took a 3 week break, cleared my mind a bit, and I've been doing MUCH better recently (averaging maybe -1 or -2 per PT with 5+ minutes to spare). I can give you a few tips, some of them collected from across this forum.

- Are you notating each paragraph? I find it really helps to make a brief note (3-4 words) next to each paragraph that symbolizes the main point of the paragraph. Also, for paragraphs with multiple important points, summarize each point (ex. conflicting perspectives).

- For detail questions that refer to a certain word/phrase/line, read 5 lines above and below that section and then answer the question. Context is KEY for these type of questions - the test often tries to trick you with answer choices that sound right but aren't consistent with the passage's organization.

- Try not to focus on details on your first read-through (ex. definitions, specific examples, quotes, etc) and spend your attention on the main points of each paragraph, the overall organization of the passage, as well as the tone used by the author. Instead, circle words that are defined, "for example", and other indicator words so that you can refer back to them easily when a question asks you to do so. This will save you some time per passage and make your reading more efficient.

- Do main point questions last. This one can be useful because a wrong MP answer can bias you for the rest of the questions. Also, the main point will become a lot clearer once you've answered the other questions. However, if you find that you're really good with MP questions, you can ignore this point.

Personally, I don't know if reading Economist will help you THAT much as a short-term strategy. I think doing real passages will help you a lot more. Hope this helps!

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:09 pm

yzero1 wrote:
I used to struggle with RC before too (sometimes getting up to -7 per section). I took a 3 week break, cleared my mind a bit, and I've been doing MUCH better recently (averaging maybe -1 or -2 per PT with 5+ minutes to spare). I can give you a few tips, some of them collected from across this forum.

- Are you notating each paragraph? I find it really helps to make a brief note (3-4 words) next to each paragraph that symbolizes the main point of the paragraph. Also, for paragraphs with multiple important points, summarize each point (ex. conflicting perspectives).

- For detail questions that refer to a certain word/phrase/line, read 5 lines above and below that section and then answer the question. Context is KEY for these type of questions - the test often tries to trick you with answer choices that sound right but aren't consistent with the passage's organization.

- Try not to focus on details on your first read-through (ex. definitions, specific examples, quotes, etc) and spend your attention on the main points of each paragraph, the overall organization of the passage, as well as the tone used by the author. Instead, circle words that are defined, "for example", and other indicator words so that you can refer back to them easily when a question asks you to do so. This will save you some time per passage and make your reading more efficient.

- Do main point questions last. This one can be useful because a wrong MP answer can bias you for the rest of the questions. Also, the main point will become a lot clearer once you've answered the other questions. However, if you find that you're really good with MP questions, you can ignore this point.

Personally, I don't know if reading Economist will help you THAT much as a short-term strategy. I think doing real passages will help you a lot more. Hope this helps!

Hey, thanks. I might just need a break from RC for awhile...Ive been going at it hardcore for a couple weeks. The MP questions last could help, as well as the reading in context for questions..Ill give those a try.

Im already notating too much/taking too long so more writing is def not what I need to be doing.

Tx for the tips :)

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:11 pm

I've found RC to be more intuitive than the other sections.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:13 pm

northwood/NonTradHealthLaw : Im already doing those things, Ive just hit a wall. And if I slow down anymore I wont finish the section. Ive done about what you have, and I improved from my diagnostic fail of -11 or so but now Im just stuck. thanks tho!

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:29 pm

i also hit the wall. I am scoring well, but I cant fiinish the last passage in time. When i try to increase speed, my accuracy tanks. Any suggestions ( I mark a bunch allready, so marking more, may not work)

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:16 pm

northwood wrote:i also hit the wall. I am scoring well, but I cant fiinish the last passage in time. When i try to increase speed, my accuracy tanks. Any suggestions ( I mark a bunch allready, so marking more, may not work)

Are you using the markings when you answer questions? If not, can you mark less?

I underline as I go, sometimes circle important names, refer back to the passage frequently, and finish with about 10 minutes to spare each time.

aesis

Postby aesis » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:19 pm

yzero1 wrote:
Day2Daze wrote:- Do main point questions last. This one can be useful because a wrong MP answer can bias you for the rest of the questions. Also, the main point will become a lot clearer once you've answered the other questions. However, if you find that you're really good with MP questions, you can ignore this point.

That sounds interesting. I'll try it, but after reading a passage my mind automatically tries to summarize what the main point was before I even attack the other questions. It will be interesting to see the reverse process (MP --> other questions fit MP versus Other questions --> MP fit other questions). How do others fare with this?

flynavyjets

Postby flynavyjets » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:44 pm

I'm joining ya'll...

I wasn't going to take a prep course (was getting mid-160's to 170 on PT's with no formal training), but I needed help with cutting my time down on LG so I'm taking the Kaplan-Advanced online course starting 17 Aug. They don't have classroom training or tutors here in North Mexico (very South Texas).

Hope it's worth the money!!

brickman

Postby brickman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:00 pm

eit wrote:
northwood wrote:i also hit the wall. I am scoring well, but I cant fiinish the last passage in time. When i try to increase speed, my accuracy tanks. Any suggestions ( I mark a bunch allready, so marking more, may not work)

Are you using the markings when you answer questions? If not, can you mark less?

I underline as I go, sometimes circle important names, refer back to the passage frequently, and finish with about 10 minutes to spare each time.

I'm finding that just underlining is sufficient for comprehension so long as I am actively reading and comprehending. If all goes well, 8 minutes or so usually remains. So many marking just feel superficial, I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of them. For me at least, I feel like I am getting much more if I just concentrate on focusing instead of saying "oh shid, there is a name, better circle it!" I think it is just a very ad hoc process.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 pm

northwood wrote:Just took Prep Test 50 this morning, with an experimental section of extra LG

Scored a 153. I would have done much better, but by section 5, i was totally out of it ( answered all questions with 10 minutes to spare- and as a consequence, missed 11 questions

Section 1- RC-12 ( 7 of those were from a passage i didnt get to) Happy with how I did on the passages I attempted
Section 2 LG ( experimental) -6
Section 3 LR -7
Section 4 LG -6 ( 3 were letter of the day)
Section 5 LR-11

Will I be able to obain more endurance by doing more prep tests? Do you think its possible to score a 160 by October? HOw should I study for LR? My current method of drilling question types doesnt seem to be paying off, how should I modify my prep?

Last year, I just took preptest after preptest. And that definitely built up the endurance. However, there is a point where you burn out. It happened to me last fall, and it really sucks. I am just now getting around to studying again for a retake. Have you gone through the PowerScore LR Bible? I found that to be really helpful. Also, last fall, I started taking 6 section tests or 2 tests in one day. I wouldn't do it to often (again- burnout) but it definitely did help my mind to stay focused for longer. And finally, always, always time yourself.

HOV

Postby HOV » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:04 pm

eit wrote:I underline as I go, sometimes circle important names, refer back to the passage frequently, and finish with about 10 minutes to spare each time.

you should be out and about. close the books and head to the beach. i can't help but feel a tad bit envious. =P

on another note, has anybody noticed a difference in PT's from 30 onwards? i can't seem to finish the LG sections. the LR seems alright and the RC seems the same (although 35 was the first time i didn't finish RC since about 10 PT's ago) but something about these tests seems different...or maybe i just need a day off. thoughts?

HOV

Postby HOV » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:10 pm

brickman wrote: If all goes well, 8 minutes or so usually remains. So many marking just feel superficial, I don't feel like I'm getting anything out of them. For me at least, I feel like I am getting much more if I just concentrate on focusing instead of saying "oh shid, there is a name, better circle it!" I think it is just a very ad hoc process.

i think i'm gonna try doing this instead of trying to approach RC so structurally.

dub

Postby dub » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:18 pm

HOV wrote:
eit wrote:I underline as I go, sometimes circle important names, refer back to the passage frequently, and finish with about 10 minutes to spare each time.

you should be out and about. close the books and head to the beach. i can't help but feel a tad bit envious. =P

on another note, has anybody noticed a difference in PT's from 30 onwards? i can't seem to finish the LG sections. the LR seems alright and the RC seems the same (although 35 was the first time i didn't finish RC since about 10 PT's ago) but something about these tests seems different...or maybe i just need a day off. thoughts?

30's LG are notoriously difficult.

HOV

Postby HOV » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:41 pm

dub wrote:30's LG are notoriously difficult.

my performance has been abysmal on 30's LGs.

hope.

yzero1

Postby yzero1 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:13 pm

HOV wrote:

hope.

PT 34 and 36 contain 2 of the hardest LGs ever in my opinion (doctor clinics and bus seats).

Lafakad

Postby Lafakad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Took PT 27

LG (-1)
LR1 (-10) I was doing fine, but I missed every question from 18-25
LR2 ( -10)
RC - (-10)

Ive gone through the LGB and I feel pretty good about LG. I've done some of the LRB but when I attempt a certain question type I seem to forget the particular techniques I learned. Any suggestions for those that are strong in LR/RC?

brickman

Postby brickman » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:36 pm

yzero1 wrote:
HOV wrote:

hope.

PT 34 and 36 contain 2 of the hardest LGs ever in my opinion (doctor clinics and bus seats).

uh uh, birds in the forrest is where it's at.

though the doctors clinic one is absurd as well.
the fact that you have to realize there is a contradiction if a doctor is in one place is stupid

also fugg the length of those logic chains.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Although it certainly gives people a LOT of trouble, PT33, G2 (birds in the forest) is one of the easier games of its type.

Similar games in the 30s that are tougher:

PT36, G1 (fruit stand) - slightly tougher

PT31, G2 (CDs game) - much tougher

PT34, G4 (doctor clinics) - much tougher

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:02 am

LSAT Blog wrote:Although it certainly gives people a LOT of trouble, PT33, G2 (birds in the forest) is one of the easier games of its type.

Similar games in the 30s that are tougher:

PT36, G1 (fruit stand) - slightly tougher

PT31, G2 (CDs game) - much tougher

PT34, G4 (doctor clinics) - much tougher

I was psyched when I hit the CD's game, because it's quoted in Legally Blonde. Then I tried to diagram and nearly started crying. Don't do PTs with low blood sugar, lol.

I've started regressing in LG. I think I need to do at least a game a day to keep my skills from dying.

I need to get cracking. I took a couple days off and spent them reading the Millennium trilogy. A nice break, but man do I need to start taking more 5 section prep tests!

lawlz

Postby lawlz » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:05 am

I've burned through some individual LR and RC sections without too much trouble, but I'm still having trouble staying up to speed on LGs. At the moment I'm doing a lot of individual games and really focusing on the methods for cracking each one. The circle games in particular are a huge bitch. :x I seem to have significantly more trouble on them than any of the other games.....

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 pm

lastch2 wrote:^^ agreed, my pre-law advisor told me nothing! i could have taken my cold diagnostic as my lsat and she would have just shrugged. no thanks to her i ended up looking at mcgraw-hill (nooooo!), and no thanks to her i found this website and learned about actual study materials. yeesh!

I feel like the internet has been more of an advisor than he has! It's sad though...

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:02 pm

Do you guys feel that the more you take PTs the better you understand what the test makers want? I dont know if my question makes sense, but it feels that the more you do the better grasp you get and all tests become somewhat similar.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:58 pm

Adu wrote:Do you guys feel that the more you take PTs the better you understand what the test makers want? I dont know if my question makes sense, but it feels that the more you do the better grasp you get and all tests become somewhat similar.

All I know is that when I come across a high ability/low success rate question, I giggle quietly to myself.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:27 pm

Adu wrote:Do you guys feel that the more you take PTs the better you understand what the test makers want? I dont know if my question makes sense, but it feels that the more you do the better grasp you get and all tests become somewhat similar.

I think the more I take the more I recognize the test makers want you to screw up, thus I become better prepared to ignore their trickery.....sometimes... :oops:

Adu

Postby Adu » Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:30 pm

lastch2 wrote:

I think the more I take the more I recognize the test makers want you to screw up, thus I become better prepared to ignore their trickery.....sometimes... :oops:

That what the Powerscore Bibles say, that the def want you to mess up!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”