October 2010 Test Prep

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby iamcutdacheck » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:53 am

Everything was all good until I hit the actual test games in the Grouping section of Powerscore's Logic Games Bible (Game #3 December 2004 13-17)

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby iamcutdacheck » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:57 am

eit wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:My friend gave me a Barron's LSAT book he never used and I know why he gave it away, the book is now presently in the trash can.


... At least recycle it?

I'm glad I found this site and learned about the Bibles, otherwise I probably would've ended up with some random book from my university's book store. I found both Bibles so helpful.

In other news, I've had a major RC breakthrough. Maybe not THAT major, since I've only brought my average down to -2 (moving towards -1, I HOPE but am not there yet) from -4. I have developed a personal notation and theory for the RC section: underline and trust your gut, except in science sections, and then re-read that passage about 50 times trying to figure out the right answer ahaha.

The problem with science passages is I just read them and don't take in what they mean. I need to go slower and be a more active reader there.


Recycle lol I wouldnt want anyone to even read that book by accident

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:48 am

iamcutdacheck wrote:
eit wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:My friend gave me a Barron's LSAT book he never used and I know why he gave it away, the book is now presently in the trash can.


... At least recycle it?

I'm glad I found this site and learned about the Bibles, otherwise I probably would've ended up with some random book from my university's book store. I found both Bibles so helpful.

In other news, I've had a major RC breakthrough. Maybe not THAT major, since I've only brought my average down to -2 (moving towards -1, I HOPE but am not there yet) from -4. I have developed a personal notation and theory for the RC section: underline and trust your gut, except in science sections, and then re-read that passage about 50 times trying to figure out the right answer ahaha.

The problem with science passages is I just read them and don't take in what they mean. I need to go slower and be a more active reader there.


Recycle lol I wouldnt want anyone to even read that book by accident


If someone is rifling through your recycling and stealing books from it, I'd say they have larger problems than a horrid LSAT book, lol.

Interesting idea on the other page about doing two back to back LSATs to improve endurance. I might have to try that on Sunday.

Today I just did section work. I feel like my skill with games has diminished somehow. Might need to do a bit of Bible review.

User avatar
aesis
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:26 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby aesis » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:25 am

Just finished Month 1 of Pithypike and did SuperPrep Test A, my first PT.

-3 LR -3 RC -[4 LR (taken from PT 19-2)] -7 LG -5 LR. 163.

I broke both my pencils (the lead fell out; I only had two sharpened) during LG section -- I was kind of nervous and definitely rushed into a game or two without making the best of inferences / hypos. I'm surprised with LG because I've been doing pretty well on individual games, I've done about 88 in the past month, 90% of them all Basic Linear and Adv. Linear stuff, as prescribed by Pithypike guide ... endurance also was an issue at the end as demonstrated by the -5 LR 5th section.

I figure when I go through Month 2's Grouping games practice I can whittle that LG score to around -2? Is that too optimistic?
I've got two more months in the schedule and though I am disappointed, I think I can hit 173+ around September. Thoughtsies?

I plan on reviewing the test tomorrow. ^_^

User avatar
iamcutdacheck
Posts: 95
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:23 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby iamcutdacheck » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:34 am

aesis wrote:Just finished Month 1 of Pithypike and did SuperPrep Test A, my first PT.

-3 LR -3 RC -[4 LR (taken from PT 19-2)] -7 LG -5 LR. 163.

I broke both my pencils (the lead fell out; I only had two sharpened) during LG section -- I was kind of nervous and definitely rushed into a game or two without making the best of inferences / hypos. I'm surprised with LG because I've been doing pretty well on individual games, I've done about 88 in the past month, 90% of them all Basic Linear and Adv. Linear stuff, as prescribed by Pithypike guide ... endurance also was an issue at the end as demonstrated by the -5 LR 5th section.

I figure when I go through Month 2's Grouping games practice I can whittle that LG score to around -2? Is that too optimistic?
I've got two more months in the schedule and though I am disappointed, I think I can hit 173+ around September. Thoughtsies?

I plan on reviewing the test tomorrow. ^_^


I totally forgot about Pithypike's method, im bout to chill on the Grouping Games for a second and hit LR and a few RC sections over the next week

Adu
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:10 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Adu » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:00 am

lparker wrote:
Adu wrote:Hey everyone,

I am going to take the October LSAT also and just got done with my summer classes. I started reading the bibles and taking side notes. How many tests a week would you advise me to do? I am starting to stress out because I feel like I don't have enough time!


IMO, You don't need to be taking tests until you've finished the bibles. I would put my focus into really understanding them and then start taking practice tests. Did you take a diagnostic? Are you going to?


No I haven't. What would you call a diagnosis? My pre law advisor has not guided me whatsoever!

User avatar
sgtgrumbles
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby sgtgrumbles » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:27 am

Adu wrote:No I haven't. What would you call a diagnosis? My pre law advisor has not guided me whatsoever!


A diagnostic is a full-length LSAT (four or five sections) that you take before beginning studying to assess your starting level. Most people measure their progress by comparing their diagnostic score to the scores of the practice tests they take after they've begun studying. Most people try to take it completely "cold," meaning that they haven't done any prep, but I had about a week of light studying under my belt when I took my diagnostic.

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:36 am

Adu wrote:
lparker wrote:
Adu wrote:Hey everyone,

I am going to take the October LSAT also and just got done with my summer classes. I started reading the bibles and taking side notes. How many tests a week would you advise me to do? I am starting to stress out because I feel like I don't have enough time!


IMO, You don't need to be taking tests until you've finished the bibles. I would put my focus into really understanding them and then start taking practice tests. Did you take a diagnostic? Are you going to?


No I haven't. What would you call a diagnosis? My pre law advisor has not guided me whatsoever!


Luckily this forum is as effective (and probably more so) than a pre law advisor anyway. It's a plethora of good information so search for the questions you have.

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lastch2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:02 am

^^ agreed, my pre-law advisor told me nothing! i could have taken my cold diagnostic as my lsat and she would have just shrugged. no thanks to her i ended up looking at mcgraw-hill (nooooo!), and no thanks to her i found this website and learned about actual study materials. yeesh!

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lastch2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:05 am

also, took my first PT in a while timed in a coffee shop. PT 11 -5RC -3LG -7 LR combined 166 :? luckily this was my first test not in silence locked away somewhere so hopefully the distractions just brought me down. about to do it again untimed to see what i get.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Gemini » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:13 am

lastch2 wrote:also, took my first PT in a while timed in a coffee shop. PT 11 -5RC -3LG -7 LR combined 166 :? luckily this was my first test not in silence locked away somewhere so hopefully the distractions just brought me down. about to do it again untimed to see what i get.


Let us know the difference in score! :)

lparker
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:15 pm

lastch2 wrote:also, took my first PT in a while timed in a coffee shop. PT 11 -5RC -3LG -7 LR combined 166 :? luckily this was my first test not in silence locked away somewhere so hopefully the distractions just brought me down. about to do it again untimed to see what i get.


166 with two months to go... I'd say you're doing well! :D

User avatar
lastch2
Posts: 173
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lastch2 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:26 pm

untimed results: -1 RC, -3 LR combined, -2 LG 175. Hopefully a few more bouts of this will help bring it up more consistently.

i'm roughly planning on starting 5 section PT timed in september, i think 2 per week sounds pretty good, and following the timed/untimed suggestion...anyone interested in charting progress?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby 3|ink » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:40 pm

lastch2 wrote:untimed results: -1 RC, -3 LR combined, -2 LG 175. Hopefully a few more bouts of this will help bring it up more consistently.

i'm roughly planning on starting 5 section PT timed in september, i think 2 per week sounds pretty good, and following the timed/untimed suggestion...anyone interested in charting progress?


I'd use later PTs. The test is harder than it used to be.

I'm using an excel spreadsheet on google.docs to log my progress. You might try that.

HOV
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby HOV » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:34 pm

studying for the lsat has been humbling thus far.

womp womp

User avatar
mynjb26
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby mynjb26 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:47 pm

Hello everyone!!

I see someone mentioned that the LSAT has been humbling. I beg to differ. I've had a consistent headache for about a month now; the amount of time I've been studying for it. I've never encountered so much simplistic difficulty in my entire 26 years on this earth. Simplistic because the test is quite interesting and uses everyday vocabulary that I'm familiar with. However, the way these words are used are so clever. I would love to meet one of the test writers.

As for my progress, I've managed to crack the games section, after a month of continuous practice, with the help of the LGB. I'm working on LR now. *Crossing my fingers*

Good luck everyone...

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:38 pm

Just had my LR break through... -1 on two sections :D wooooop woooooop 170+ here I come!

I got so excited at starbucks that they asked me to please leave... :(

User avatar
lamentable
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lamentable » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:22 pm

Well done Dripworx!

I got -2 for LG on PT 40...pretty stoked about that (seeing as my last PT ( got -11!)

TMT90
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby TMT90 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:10 pm

mynjb26 wrote:Hello everyone!!

I've had a consistent headache for about a month now; the amount of time I've been studying for it.


+1 although my headaches might also be a result of my impacted wisdom teeth.
Last edited by TMT90 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hannibal
Posts: 2213
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:00 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hannibal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:02 pm

Got a -1 on a LR section today, which was a great ego boost after my -5 yesterday. I feel like I can see the machinery of LR questions when I concentrate better.

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby northwood » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:16 pm

Took Pt 34. Scored 153. RC -10, LG-4, LR -11, LR-11. Did extra experimental of games ( did not score)

Noticed that Towards the end of the exam, I started to skim thequestion stem, and answer choices. Need to focus on reading EVERYTHING, and not skimming.... Looking over the test, I cant believe how many stupid mistakes I made by doing this....

Still waiting for that timed LR section breakthrough. Best timed section result is a -7. Flaw and Stregnthen/ weaken questions are constantly tripping me up. Have made flash cards for the flaw family questions. Perhaps memorizing the types of flaw questions as well as strengthen and weaken , and drilling them will work.

Does anyone know of specific questions from prep tests that I can use to help get these questions down? ( Im looking to make a few "sections" of just these question types to help solidify the concepts- using actual lsat questions of course)

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby xqhp82 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:48 pm

Really frustrated by my LR scores....i've been doing single sections from PT21-23 (so about six of them altogether), as well as a full Preptest A, and i've been consistently scoring a -6. I need to shoot for at least -2 per section and i don't want to think that -6 is my limit!!

Dripworx
Posts: 161
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:02 am

lamentable wrote:Well done Dripworx!

I got -2 for LG on PT 40...pretty stoked about that (seeing as my last PT ( got -11!)



I have yet to take pt 40, I have it and lent it to my study buddy for the week that im gonna be up in DC. Still bringing my books of course while Im up there lol

Funny you should mention that -11, my preceding score on LR had been -12 and then I did two sections of -1 back to back. I realized I had a breakthrough when the answers literally began to pop out at me. It became obvious which ones were correct. I actually finished both -1 sections with +2 min left on the clock so It was pretty exhilarating to say the least. I literally did a triple take when I was scoring the sections lol

Hedwig
Posts: 835
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:56 am

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Hedwig » Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:16 am

Hannibal wrote:Got a -1 on a LR section today, which was a great ego boost after my -5 yesterday. I feel like I can see the machinery of LR questions when I concentrate better.


I agree. I regressed today in LR but I think what I did was stupid, to say the least (didn't concentrate fully for one section, was very tired after work, got a -4 and preceded to do MORE sections instead of take a break, not concentrate very hard for half of them, follow it up with a couple more -4's)... I think I need to work on endurance and concentration and not rushing.

However, I do feel like I've had a major breakthrough in Reading Comprehension. It has become my favorite section, after a brief stint as my least favorite. A couple -1's and more -2's, am feeling good. Still hoping for a miraculous -0 somewhere. Thought I had it today, then realized I had one question wrong. That was sad.

User avatar
lamentable
Posts: 47
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:32 pm

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lamentable » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:10 pm

eit wrote:
Hannibal wrote:Got a -1 on a LR section today, which was a great ego boost after my -5 yesterday. I feel like I can see the machinery of LR questions when I concentrate better.


I agree. I regressed today in LR but I think what I did was stupid, to say the least (didn't concentrate fully for one section, was very tired after work, got a -4 and preceded to do MORE sections instead of take a break, not concentrate very hard for half of them, follow it up with a couple more -4's)... I think I need to work on endurance and concentration and not rushing.

However, I do feel like I've had a major breakthrough in Reading Comprehension. It has become my favorite section, after a brief stint as my least favorite. A couple -1's and more -2's, am feeling good. Still hoping for a miraculous -0 somewhere. Thought I had it today, then realized I had one question wrong. That was sad.


Anything tangible that lead to your RC breakthrough? I can't seem to get a handle on this section (routinely get -5, -6).




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cherrygalore and 6 guests