October 2010 Test Prep Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
TUP

Bronze

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Post by TUP » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:30 am

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Have you guys ever done a PT section by section, and then add up the sections for your raw score? Would that even count? I guess since you're not doing it all together it doesn't yea?

I'm doing much better on PT sections.... combining PT 7 sections together, I got a 167, which is pretty nice but probably not an accurate assessment... right?
It's obviously not as good as doing sections back to back in actual testing conditions. However, if you're pressed for time a section or two is better than none. And while it isn't perfect, you might as well see what you're score would be to get an idea of where you should be focusing your study time.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:59 am

I kind of like doing Prep Tests. Of course, I mostly just like scoring them. It brings out my competitive nature, lol.

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:05 am

eit, who is that girl in your picture? It's been bugging me for the longest time.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 am

Sh@keNb@ke wrote:eit, who is that girl in your picture? It's been bugging me for the longest time.
blair from gossip girl :) hehe

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:13 am

Looks like Miley Cyrus.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:16 am

i think her name is leighton miester or something like that you can look it up though through gossip girl

Sh@keNb@ke

Bronze

Post by Sh@keNb@ke » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:42 am

I KNEW IT..... I was trying to figure it out for the longest time, but I got it now. Thanks barbie haha

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:55 am

Yeah, it's Blair Waldorf (Leighton Meester). I kind of adore her. Plus, in the books, she's doing pre-law lol.

txsunshine

Bronze

Post by txsunshine » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Yayyy for RC timed section practice on my lunch hour :| NOT
LSAT on my brain 24 hours a day. Currently doing two timed sections per day, averaging -1 on RC and -3 on LG. Need to incorporate LR now. Oh, and a full length PT coming up on Sunday. I just want to fast forward to December (Jan/Feb/March?) to see if this work is going to pay off!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:14 pm

lawlz wrote:I'm also planning for the October exam...I scored a 160 cold (this was at home, with noise/interruptions from my family) but I've improved a lot on my scores for individual sections in the ~3 weeks I've been studying. I'm shooting for a 170+ with the help of one of those books of 10 old tests and a copy of Master the LSAT, and keeping my fingers crossed that my score will be up to snuff by October. I'm looking predominantly at schools in the top 25 range, with a 3.95 GPA.

I haven't found a chance to take another full-length practice since the first since my home life is very hectic, but I'm wondering how drastically people have been improving their "cold" scores with moderate study.......
I scored a 161 on a diagnostic I took at a Kaplan center. Since then I've completed LGB and begun LRB. These are my PT scores thus far, in order: 169, 163, 169, 163, 171, 171, 172, 173, 175.

I'm super jealous of your 3.95. You can easily bring your score up enough for T14, probably T6, maybe HYS. I have a 3.63 and probably need 175+ for a shot at T6.

RFKScott

New

Post by RFKScott » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:30 pm

I thought I would join this thread as I have been reading through the previous posts and it looks very motivational. I am currently enrolled in a Early Summer Testmasters course and have completed the first month. I went from a 146 cold diag to a 154 on my second diagnostic (took it again untimed immediately after and got a 170 before checking on my diag2 results). I was pretty encouraged by this as timing has still been a big issue and I have not been able to complete a section yet within the time limits, but I know with practice it will change. I will begin this month taking some timed individual sections and in a couple weeks taking about 2-3 PTs per week with extensive review. My goal is a 160+.

Adu

New

Post by Adu » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Hey everyone,

I am going to take the October LSAT also and just got done with my summer classes. I started reading the bibles and taking side notes. How many tests a week would you advise me to do? I am starting to stress out because I feel like I don't have enough time!

iamcutdacheck

New

Post by iamcutdacheck » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:58 pm

My friend gave me a Barron's LSAT book he never used and I know why he gave it away, the book is now presently in the trash can.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lparker

Bronze

Post by lparker » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:11 pm

Adu wrote:Hey everyone,

I am going to take the October LSAT also and just got done with my summer classes. I started reading the bibles and taking side notes. How many tests a week would you advise me to do? I am starting to stress out because I feel like I don't have enough time!
IMO, You don't need to be taking tests until you've finished the bibles. I would put my focus into really understanding them and then start taking practice tests. Did you take a diagnostic? Are you going to?

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:08 pm

For the people who consistently get -0 or -1 on LR, how did you guys get to the level that you can nail that section consistently? I have been stuck at -2+ wrong per LR section for quite some time, I worked my way up from a terrible initial diag, however making that last step towards really mastering the section is giving me a lot of trouble. Besides reviewing PT's thoroughly and doing the bibles, is there anything else that you guys did to really lock down the section?

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 pm

iamcutdacheck wrote:My friend gave me a Barron's LSAT book he never used and I know why he gave it away, the book is now presently in the trash can.
... At least recycle it?

I'm glad I found this site and learned about the Bibles, otherwise I probably would've ended up with some random book from my university's book store. I found both Bibles so helpful.

In other news, I've had a major RC breakthrough. Maybe not THAT major, since I've only brought my average down to -2 (moving towards -1, I HOPE but am not there yet) from -4. I have developed a personal notation and theory for the RC section: underline and trust your gut, except in science sections, and then re-read that passage about 50 times trying to figure out the right answer ahaha.

The problem with science passages is I just read them and don't take in what they mean. I need to go slower and be a more active reader there.

Day2Daze

New

Post by Day2Daze » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:20 pm

I just got dominated by my double-lsat. 2 PT's back to back (to work on endurance). I got a 170 on the first one, fine...then got a 164 on the second :evil:

It could have had to a lil bit to do with the dog Im pet sitting. He wants to hang out like every single minute of the day, Im starting to hate him a lil bit. That and one of my fav oldies came on on the radio during the last RC section. But I think mostly my LSAT endurance just isnt that great. I hate adding that PT score to my list *sigh

Anyone try a double-lsat yet? Tips to stay enthused and focused? Ive heard some LSAT days can take up to 6-7 hours because the test center is slow or whatever.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TMT90

New

Post by TMT90 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 pm

eit wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:My friend gave me a Barron's LSAT book he never used and I know why he gave it away, the book is now presently in the trash can.

I'm glad I found this site and learned about the Bibles, otherwise I probably would've ended up with some random book from my university's book store. I found both Bibles so helpful.
Agreed. Before I even heard of the Bibles, I bought a book by SparkNotes for $20 at Barnes and Nobles and was planning on using that to prepare me for the LSAT. I read a few sections, thought they made absolutely zero sense, and googled for better prep books which ultimately led me to TLS and the purchasing of the Bibles and prep tests.

Barbie

Gold

Post by Barbie » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:23 pm

planned on starting today... didn't... and my 2 friends from out of town come tomorrow for 10 days... i succccck someone tell me im an idiotttt

TMT90

New

Post by TMT90 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:29 pm

Barbie wrote:planned on starting today... didn't... and my 2 friends from out of town come tomorrow for 10 days... i succccck someone tell me im an idiotttt
If you're an idiot, i'm an idiot. I seriously have been putting off studying for days. Every day I plan on spending the day studying hardcore but then something minor comes up and I use that as an excuse to start the next day. It's kind of like starting a diet... you know, you usually convince yourself that you'll go ahead and eat that piece of cake because you'll just start "tomorrow" and that snowballs into more postponing.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:33 pm

Barbie wrote:planned on starting today... didn't... and my 2 friends from out of town come tomorrow for 10 days... i succccck someone tell me im an idiotttt
You're an idiot, go study.

watch one of these, go do push ups and then go study

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84uWGVAc ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-2wPNkXoMw

w/ love!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:06 am

PT 34 killed me today. 168, a drop from my last two at 173. -5 on RC. First time I've bungled an RC.

Edit: Nope, the -5 was on an LR. Makes sense. Three stupid mistakes.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:41 am

just did two timed sections of RC( Pt 43, and pt 42, and one timed section of LG( pt 34) RC -9, -8. Lg -3. Noticed in RC that i would miss 1 question on 2 passages, then get hit with a -3 or -4 on another passage. Still trying to figure out how and why this is going on. I finish with a minute to spare in RC so its not that i guessed on an entire passage, but i have been following the same technique, and still get at least one horrendous passage( -e3 or worse).... Its a good thing theres still 2 months left to figure it out.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Post by Chris_cpb » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:12 am

lparker wrote:
Adu wrote:Hey everyone,

IMO, You don't need to be taking tests until you've finished the bibles. I would put my focus into really understanding them and then start taking practice tests. Did you take a diagnostic? Are you going to?

This is very important; there's a reason that LSAT prep materials sell: because they offer the best strategies for approaching problems. Without incorporating these strategies correctly, it can sometimes be difficult to even pickup on reoccurring errors. For example, some "main point" LR questions try to trick you by giving conclusions followed by additional info that actually supports the conclusion, but because of the placement at the end of the paragraph, it may appear to be the conclusion itself. Proper strategy is to never select a main-point answer choice that supports a different piece of the argument. Without knowing this strategy you might not even notice that certain problems you were getting wrong had something in common.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 am

i have a question. When should I be taking more than 1 pt a week? Right now I am taking 1 every saturday, reviewing on sunday, and doing at least a section of material a day during the week ( i rotate between LR, LG and RC) I have thought about doing 2 per week ( wednesday and sat) around the 20th of august, but im not sure. ANy suggestions??

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”