October 2010 Test Prep

lparker

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby lparker » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:20 pm

I still haven't done a practice test yet. I'm running out of excuses... =) I am thinking of taking one practice test on Saturday and one on Sunday until October. Too much? With my work schedule it is impractical to do an entire test after work. I can do a couple of sections, though. I know it won't be an accurate reflection, but I think it would be better to get the practice in, no? The weekends are my only 5-section chance.

keeran23

Postby keeran23 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 pm

I have been studying since the start of July on individual sections and doing timed runs of only those sections. So far I am averaging 2-5 wrong in Reading Comp, 2-3 in Games, and 2-3 in Logical Reasoning. I still have yet to sit down and take a full length test because I have a Kaplan course starting again on the 17th in which a practice test is administered every 2 weeks (you take about 4 to 5 total). Do you guys think I should insert a few more full length practice tests or keep going as is. I am pretty consistent with those numbers stated above. My goal is anywhere from a 168-172.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:25 pm

lparker wrote:I still haven't done a practice test yet. I'm running out of excuses... =) I am thinking of taking one practice test on Saturday and one on Sunday until October. Too much? With my work schedule it is impractical to do an entire test after work. I can do a couple of sections, though. I know it won't be an accurate reflection, but I think it would be better to get the practice in, no? The weekends are my only 5-section chance.

If that is your only time to do it, I would say get 1 PT in on Saturday, and you might be better served by reviewing it on Sunday instead of taking another one.

jets098

Postby jets098 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Just found this part of the forum after signing up yesterday. I am taking the October LSAT and started studying around the beginning of June. I didn't take a "cold" practice test as I just started right in on the bibles. Now that I am done with those and have done a ton of problems in the "book of 10 practice tests" I have taken 3 practice tests in the last 2 weeks. Started at 153, went up to 155 and then went up again to 160. I have found that taking these practice tests seems to be how I will probably make the biggest jump. I plan on taking 2 a week from here on out and reviewing on alternate days (with days to go back to the bibles on sections that are giving me trouble.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:55 pm

LSAC just got my last transcript! Woot. Now how do I find out my GPA?

Edit: Nevermind, they put up the report a few hours after the post.

TMT90

Postby TMT90 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 pm

Are any of you thinking you may end up taking the test at a later date rather than October? I've been planning on October for months but i've been spending less time studying than I initially anticipated and i'm starting to freak out. I'm doing really well on untimed sections and when I tried a timed PT I went significantly over the time limit. I guess with the test only 2 months away I am feeling unprepared to deal with the conditions of the test and i'm thinking I may take it in February. Anyone else feeling this way?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:16 am

I don't know how to kick start this studying!! I took in June and haven't done anything since. Should I start off with a PT and see where I am? or just use the June test to start studying. For some reason I have a fear of looking through it... haha

TUP

Postby TUP » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 am

lparker wrote:I still haven't done a practice test yet. I'm running out of excuses... =) I am thinking of taking one practice test on Saturday and one on Sunday until October. Too much? With my work schedule it is impractical to do an entire test after work. I can do a couple of sections, though. I know it won't be an accurate reflection, but I think it would be better to get the practice in, no? The weekends are my only 5-section chance.

I work full-time and this is my plan. I'll have the ~30 most recent tests for the 8 weeks leading up to the exam. I plan to do two 5 section PTs on Saturday/Sunday and a 4 section PT each Wednesday, with the last couple 4 section tests worked in where I can. That leaves Monday/Tuesday to review the two 5 sections and Thursday to review the 4 section. This doesn't seem unreasonable.

lparker

Postby lparker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:31 am

TUP and thegrayman, thanks for your feedback. I am going to give it a try. Worst case scenario I can't do it, and I have to cut back.

This Saturday is the day! I have to break out of my June depression at some point... I will be starting with Prep Test 19. In September I'll make sure to incorporate the more recent tests.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:06 am

Barbie wrote:I don't know how to kick start this studying!! I took in June and haven't done anything since. Should I start off with a PT and see where I am? or just use the June test to start studying. For some reason I have a fear of looking through it... haha

Dive right in. I wouldn't take June's test just yet. That test may still be haunting you. Instead, I'd buy a book of PTs (ideally ones that you didn't previously take) and take a 4 section diag to see where you are.

The longer you wait, the longer your anxiety will eat at you.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 am

3|ink wrote:
Barbie wrote:I don't know how to kick start this studying!! I took in June and haven't done anything since. Should I start off with a PT and see where I am? or just use the June test to start studying. For some reason I have a fear of looking through it... haha

Dive right in. I wouldn't take June's test just yet. That test may still be haunting you. Instead, I'd buy a book of PTs (ideally ones that you didn't previously take) and take a 4 section diag to see where you are.

The longer you wait, the longer your anxiety will eat at you.

I actually did well on the June test compared to what I thought I was going to get.. I predicted myself ot get 10 points lower walking out of the test room!! I have a copy of every prep test I'm pretty sure. Which one would be a good diag to start with??

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:22 am

They're all the same. It doesn't matter. What matters is that you get started!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:09 pm

I really don't think it matters what prep test you start with. I jump all over the place with mine, although I keep thinking I'm going to come up with a system of how I do them. I should start that soon though so I have a schedule for working through all the new ones, and figuring out what books/tests I'm going to use for section work/experimentals rather than full tests.

I just did Prep Test #25, timed, with Cacophony in the background. I had my BEST Reading Comprehension section ever, -1!!!! And the last one was a stupid mistake on the final question, lol. I've found I need to trust my gut more with Reading Comprehension, ESPECIALLY with tone questions or those ones that are like "what is the author's attitude towards..."

Overall I got 92 raw, 173 scaled. -1 RC, -3 LR, -3LG (struggling with a certain kind of game lately), -2 LR. Really, really pleased with the RC - I felt all weirdly jumbled with the LR this time, so I don't mind the -3, it was deserved because I had a hard time focusing.

Did better at simulating real conditions today, although I need to work on that a bit more as well and make sure my prep tests are done in appropriate conditions. I'm taking the test at the university I attend, so I might just go there and see what's up in the building I'm taking it in, even if I can't use the room. Definitely going to do that in September, but I might even go there now. Although there's a ton of construction going on this summer - good distraction, I guess.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Did another section of RC today. - 12. Noticed that I am skimming over the question stem, and the passages.( Many mistakes due to this) Even knowing that i am doing this for practice, I am still rushing to get to the answer choices, and move on to the next passage. Does anyone know of any strategies to slow down my eyes ( I find that my big issue is slowing down.) and read through both the questions and the relevant parts in the passage? ( I hav ebeen underlining, but my scores are actually getting worse the more I underline, even though I am finding the right places and transitions to undeline) I am totally perplexed right now( On good news, I got- 3 on LG section, and correctly answered 10 parallel LOgic Reasoinng questions in a row- so its not all gloom and doom right now) on how to fix this issue, and dominate RC!!!!!!!!!!!

I am strongly considering reading a few pages in a dictionary before going to bed each night, just to force my eyes to read slow.
Thanks and happy hump day

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:53 pm

Took the June test, going to start again August 9th. Starting with a very deep reading of the LRB again. I've done some games here and there to keep those sharp, not worried about games.

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:13 pm

I simply just cant get motivated to start back up.... :( :( :(

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:22 pm

servinDizzert wrote:I simply just cant get motivated to start back up.... :( :( :(

I was the same way.

Last week I went to go visit Pepperdine, UCI, USC and UCLA... in that order. Each school a step from the one before. I really liked UCLA and USC, which are both out of my LSAT range right now. Plenty of motivation to study hard for October 9th can be found by walking through Dodd Hall at UCLA, or around their campus. Especially after coming from a 100 degree miserable Texas/ Oklahoma summer to a high 60's low 70's southern california summer.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:40 pm

OklahomasOK wrote:
servinDizzert wrote:I simply just cant get motivated to start back up.... :( :( :(

I was the same way.

Last week I went to go visit Pepperdine, UCI, USC and UCLA... in that order. Each school a step from the one before. I really liked UCLA and USC, which are both out of my LSAT range right now. Plenty of motivation to study hard for October 9th can be found by walking through Dodd Hall at UCLA, or around their campus. Especially after coming from a 100 degree miserable Texas/ Oklahoma summer to a high 60's low 70's southern california summer.

ya know that may be a good idea. i should go tour somewhere out of my range from my June score (FML... i'd have to go out of state) and hopefully that would give me the boost i need!!!

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:51 pm

You're wasting time! Just visit their fancy websites and do a virtual tour. It may not be the same but it saves time and money.... :mrgreen:

lawlz

Postby lawlz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm also planning for the October exam...I scored a 160 cold (this was at home, with noise/interruptions from my family) but I've improved a lot on my scores for individual sections in the ~3 weeks I've been studying. I'm shooting for a 170+ with the help of one of those books of 10 old tests and a copy of Master the LSAT, and keeping my fingers crossed that my score will be up to snuff by October. I'm looking predominantly at schools in the top 25 range, with a 3.95 GPA.

I haven't found a chance to take another full-length practice since the first since my home life is very hectic, but I'm wondering how drastically people have been improving their "cold" scores with moderate study.......

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:15 pm

lawlz wrote:I'm also planning for the October exam...I scored a 160 cold (this was at home, with noise/interruptions from my family) but I've improved a lot on my scores for individual sections in the ~3 weeks I've been studying. I'm shooting for a 170+ with the help of one of those books of 10 old tests and a copy of Master the LSAT, and keeping my fingers crossed that my score will be up to snuff by October. I'm looking predominantly at schools in the top 25 range, with a 3.95 GPA.

I haven't found a chance to take another full-length practice since the first since my home life is very hectic, but I'm wondering how drastically people have been improving their "cold" scores with moderate study.......

Started doing two a day with a 4 hour buffer/review time between them like a few days ago. so far its been 163, 164, 167, 164 so not bad, definitely better than the 140 I had in May.

thegrayman

Postby thegrayman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:42 pm

Taking PT29 tomorrow, hopefully it goes well!

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:45 pm

Dripworx wrote:
lawlz wrote:I'm also planning for the October exam...I scored a 160 cold (this was at home, with noise/interruptions from my family) but I've improved a lot on my scores for individual sections in the ~3 weeks I've been studying. I'm shooting for a 170+ with the help of one of those books of 10 old tests and a copy of Master the LSAT, and keeping my fingers crossed that my score will be up to snuff by October. I'm looking predominantly at schools in the top 25 range, with a 3.95 GPA.

Started doing two a day with a 4 hour buffer/review time between them like a few days ago. so far its been 163, 164, 167, 164 so not bad, definitely better than the 140 I had in May.

That is sooooo intense haha. I stiiiiill haven't started studying (test take #3)

TUP

Postby TUP » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:15 am

Just took PT29 and got 175 (-2 LR1, -5 RC, -0 LG, -0 LR2). Did the 4 sections back to back with no breaks. It wasn't a 5 section, but no breaks and doing it after work should compensate for that somewhat.

I didn't take a diagnostic and this was my first "official" PT with no breaks after 6+ months of sporadic studying. Unfortunately, I realized after the fact that one of the games is from the LGB, so I've actually seen it before. I guess PT30 will be my first official PT.

It does feel nice to finally have a somewhat official PT out of the way after a lot of procrastinating. For anyone else putting it off, just go for it.

TUP

Postby TUP » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:27 am

Hannibal wrote:
eit wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I put the afternoon on top.

/flame shield

I'm just curious as to why you do that. For me, morning > afternoon (I like sequencing games best, haha). For me, it'd be like going

- counterintuitive, to say the least.

I think it's because of the building games.

I put afternoon on the top also ... I work up from the days at the bottom so it just seems natural. I think all that matters is consistency though.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”