October 2010 Test Prep

iamcutdacheck

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby iamcutdacheck » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:41 am

nStiver wrote:
iamcutdacheck wrote:Im reviewing a little bit and never really hammered down the application for 'numerical distribution' in Powerscore's Logical Games Bible in chapter 1, anyone with any insight on that?

It helps you get an idea on numerical limitations, like how many sheep can go in each corral, etc. It is more important with games that have do not have a 1-1 distribution. Having a solid concept of how many variables fit in each spot can sometimes be the key to the game.

Once again, you don't have to write it out exactly like they do, as long as you figure it out and have a way of remembering it.

I myself just re-read the chapter on numerical distributions. Just give it a good once over; the LGB can explain this much better than I can.

P.S. I put the afternoon on the bottom too lol.

Good looking, thanks

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:53 am

I put the afternoon on top.

/flame shield

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:45 am

Hannibal wrote:I put the afternoon on top.

/flame shield

I'm just curious as to why you do that. For me, morning > afternoon (I like sequencing games best, haha). For me, it'd be like going

- counterintuitive, to say the least.

rbhesser

Postby rbhesser » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:34 am

Barbie wrote:
Either way I'm going to law school. I debated insanely on whether to retake or not. I was actually (even though everyone on here would bash it) pretty content with my score. It seems that even going up one point, though, is worth the retake (UGA hopefully staying at its 164 wall this cycle). Also, most schools take the highest score.. and I called a handful of my target schools (UF, FSU, etc) and asked them if it could POSSIBLY hurt me at all if I retook and did worse-- they said no. So I was like ... OK! but it will still feel like a HUUGE waste if I do worse :(

We're looking at a lot of the same schools! I know I'm definitely going to law school as well. I just know that getting my score higher decides whether or not I get into a bottom 1 tier/ top 2 tier school or a bottom of the 2nd tier (or lower) school. I'd prefer not to go the latter route :)

164 is what I scored last year. It's a really annoying score, its the lowest boundary of so many different schools. I'm really glad you asked that question though, I've been super stressed about freaking out again and scoring even lower. I'm REALLY relieved that they didn't think it would affect you.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:56 pm

eit wrote:
Hannibal wrote:I put the afternoon on top.

/flame shield

I'm just curious as to why you do that. For me, morning > afternoon (I like sequencing games best, haha). For me, it'd be like going

- counterintuitive, to say the least.

I think it's because of the building games.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:17 pm

rbhesser wrote:
Barbie wrote:
Either way I'm going to law school. I debated insanely on whether to retake or not. I was actually (even though everyone on here would bash it) pretty content with my score. It seems that even going up one point, though, is worth the retake (UGA hopefully staying at its 164 wall this cycle). Also, most schools take the highest score.. and I called a handful of my target schools (UF, FSU, etc) and asked them if it could POSSIBLY hurt me at all if I retook and did worse-- they said no. So I was like ... OK! but it will still feel like a HUUGE waste if I do worse :(

We're looking at a lot of the same schools! I know I'm definitely going to law school as well. I just know that getting my score higher decides whether or not I get into a bottom 1 tier/ top 2 tier school or a bottom of the 2nd tier (or lower) school. I'd prefer not to go the latter route :)

164 is what I scored last year. It's a really annoying score, its the lowest boundary of so many different schools. I'm really glad you asked that question though, I've been super stressed about freaking out again and scoring even lower. I'm REALLY relieved that they didn't think it would affect you.

163 is even worse haha. It's such a borderline number-- pretty much the perfect WL number for a lot of my schools. I have pretty excellent softs, but it doesn't matter. Even the 164 would help a lot-- esp with schools like UGA, Wake Forest, and consideration for $ at UF and FSU (thats what they told me). I'm hoping gor a little $ from FSU either way, because they take degree granting GPA and mines close to a 4.0. Anyways, when did you start studyng? Last year? I'm hooping 2 months is enough to get me up a point or so! I'm aiming for a 166ish (why not??) but would be happy with improvement at all!!!

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:40 pm

PT33/ December 2000 , Section IV, the games. 3rd game, question #17:

I had to skip this one due to time constraints 'cause I would have started running hypos for each question. I came back afterward & still was gonna do hypos. Am I missing something, or was that just a necessarily hypo-driven question?

I'm down to trade PMs with diagrams if anyone DIDN'T have to use hypos for that question & is willing to help me out.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:PT33/ December 2000 , Section IV, the games. 3rd game, question #17:

I had to skip this one due to time constraints 'cause I would have started running hypos for each question. I came back afterward & still was gonna do hypos. Am I missing something, or was that just a necessarily hypo-driven question?

I'm down to trade PMs with diagrams if anyone DIDN'T have to use hypos for that question & is willing to help me out.

You dont really need the diagram for this. Since at least two T's (topazes) have to be selected AND W and Z (both topazes) cannot both be selected, then the only topazes left to be selected together are X and Y. That leaves only D that must be true.

Hope that helps...if not, ill post my rule diagrams.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:05 pm

^ Awesome, thanks.
I saw the question which didn't limit anything & was all "uhhhh", then I read the first couple and realized I'd have to do hypos.
Definitely should have read all the questions to see if one just jumped out. Thanks again!

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:08 pm

no prob :) That game took me an abysmal amount of time...

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:17 pm

^ Yeah I went significantly over the 8:45 mark on it as well, EVEN with skipping that question, which is why I skipped it, since it was the 3rd game & I started buggin'. The last game with the lights on the street was a breeze though, & I freaked out when I wound up finishing the section in 34:35. I skipped question 12 from the second game for time reasons as well, which in retrospect was a good idea 'cause it would have cost me more than one question from the last game.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:27 pm

yea my timed sections keep coming reallly close. Dunno how some ppl manage shave time to about 6-7 mins per game :shock:

On another note, does anyone have any music recs to keep you concentrated studying when it gets really late and your mind starts to wander? Someone told me Baroque was good, but it makes me really sleepy...

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Day2Daze wrote:Dunno how some ppl manage shave time to about 6-7 mins per game :shock:

Um... doesn't matter? You don't have to? I suppose it would help a lot if you ran into a curve-ball novel game, but there's no way I'll be nailing all my games in 6-7 minutes. No way. :(

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:49 pm

Did the legendary birds in the forest game and found it really easy, just a ton of prep work. Finished it in 6 minutes and if you have been paying attention to other shit I've said, that's pretty out of the norm for me. (-2 on the LG section of that PT, I had a bigger problem with the jeweler Q)

Lafakad

Postby Lafakad » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:09 pm

Just took PT 26 today, man I have to work on RC and LR

LG: -3
LR: -11
LR: -11
RC: -14

Ended up with a 153.

What do you guys suggest my plan of study be? Go through each type of LR question until I can get it down pat? Or work on the RC section? I feel pretty confident about the LG, my -3 was a stupid mistake.

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:42 pm

Lafakad wrote:What do you guys suggest my plan of study be? Go through each type of LR question until I can get it down pat? Or work on the RC section? I feel pretty confident about the LG, my -3 was a stupid mistake.

Depends on why you missed the questions. Did you run out of time on LR and RC, or do you just not get the material? If your numbers are a lot better on those sections when you do them untimed then you probably just have a timing issue. Otherwise you need to read the LRB and do a ton of questions for each type. I haven't read the RC Bible but you may want to look into that as well. Practice practice practice.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:45 pm

Have you guys ever done a PT section by section, and then add up the sections for your raw score? Would that even count? I guess since you're not doing it all together it doesn't yea?

I'm doing much better on PT sections.... combining PT 7 sections together, I got a 167, which is pretty nice but probably not an accurate assessment... right?

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Your GIF is shorter than the original, awesome version, and far more likely to induce seizures.
I cannot look at your post without my eyes protesting.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:52 pm

hey lafakad:
I am in the same boat as you. My LR and RC are pretty horrendous, especialy compared to LG. I spent a lot of time on Lg and neglected RC and LR. I am going through each question type slowly and surely, using prep tests 30 and below to get examples. I wont be doing any more timed sections in this category until i get through all of the question types. Then I will do LR sections from tests 31-43 to work on timing issues. I dont know how its going to be, but ill let you know how my progress is coming.

FOr Rc, my main issue is endurance. I speed read the sections, and quickly jump to the questions. I need to slow down and make sure i get the big idea, authors perspective, and key information about each paragraph before i hit the questions. I then find myself freaking out about half way, then half assing the last 2 passages. (hence why im missing 10-12 questions). I am planning on doing one or 2 passages a day, slowly and methodically, until i feel confident in my ablity, then start timing myslf to see how long it takes, and work down to 35 minutes. If I dont get to do all 4 passages by test day, and can only complete 3, i wont bug out.

this is my plan for the next month. In september i am aiming to be knocking out prep tests until i do as well as possible on test day ( and reviewing/ and looking over types that I am struggling with)

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:00 am

Sell Manilla wrote:Your GIF is shorter than the original, awesome version, and far more likely to induce seizures.
I cannot look at your post without my eyes protesting.

Haha so don't look. :P

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:41 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:Have you guys ever done a PT section by section, and then add up the sections for your raw score? Would that even count? I guess since you're not doing it all together it doesn't yea?

I'm doing much better on PT sections.... combining PT 7 sections together, I got a 167, which is pretty nice but probably not an accurate assessment... right?

Anyone?

jwaters

Postby jwaters » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:52 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:Have you guys ever done a PT section by section, and then add up the sections for your raw score? Would that even count? I guess since you're not doing it all together it doesn't yea?

Anyone?

Part of what makes the LSAT hard is doing 5 sections one after another with only one 15 min. break. So if you took extended breaks in between sections, no, that shouldn't really count.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:56 pm

jwaters wrote:
Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Anyone?

Part of what makes the LSAT hard is doing 5 sections one after another with only one 15 min. break. So if you took extended breaks in between sections, no, that shouldn't really count.

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:20 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:

Anyone?

the only value is maybe for seeing what score you could get but why bother putting a score on it, doing practice sections seems more like something to keep your mind fresh and to practice techniques. just leave the score out of it unless it's timed and focus on how many & why you missed certain questions on specific sections.

of the accuracy, speed, endurance equation for success, i'd say endurance is one of the biggest/hardest variables to master

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:11 pm

I just tried to do a five section prep test, only to give up half an hour in because my brain is actually dead. I don't know if this is low blood sugar or burn out, but I'm going to give it a rest for today. Sad.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”