October 2010 Test Prep

Dripworx

Re: October 2010 Test Prep

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:25 am

Barbie wrote:
Dripworx wrote:
Barbie wrote:what prep test should I start with? I plan on taking 2 a week until Oct... start at the low numbers and work my way up?

10 real lsats
the next 10 lsats
10 more lsats

the whole 10 series... and try to buy the tests from 39 to 59 if you can. theyr like 20$ for 4 on amazon =)

good luck!

sorry I'm confused haha. Idk what is in those 3 books- do you have them? I have a copy of whatever tests are in Kaplan endurance book, and I have tests 7-52, excluding a few. Are those the same as the ones in the books?

Yea pretty much, I took kaplan a year ago so I still have the kaplan books (endurance, mastery, etc.) they help alot but strictly because its material to shoot through. soon enough, your gonna deplete all your material, and your gonna be retaking tests you already took which is frustrating because youll begin to recognize right answers due to repetition, not understanding lol

use the material wisely, test smart!

I have the three books there called the "10 real" series the rest of the tests are individual tests, but i suggest just buying the individual ones since you have the kaplan books, no need for the 10 real books.

ert335

Postby ert335 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:03 am

can you buy this kaplan mastery book? is it now called kaplan advanced?

PrincessLexiRae

Postby PrincessLexiRae » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:08 am

Kaplan just released new books...I took Kaplan and re-enrolled in a class for the October test and should be getting the new books any day now.

DreamLaw

Postby DreamLaw » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:29 am

Barbie wrote:just finished my job today... time to get crazy into my prep for october. once my classes start it will be hard to put a lot of time into it. anyone crunching before UG classes begin??

I finish work today too. This means that I have all of august to study and make sure I understand everything because I start school September 1st. It will be very difficult to continue studying for the LSAT and deal with UG workload.

Dripworx

Postby Dripworx » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:39 am

ert335 wrote:can you buy this kaplan mastery book? is it now called kaplan advanced?

The only legal way to get those books is by registering in the classes, but Im sure you can find someone that took the kaplan course that would be interested in -lending- them to you

:lol:

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:50 pm

Just finished Prep Test #7... I didn't actually time myself, but I've never gone over 30 minutes for an LR section or an RC section even while timing, so I think I was in the time constraints. Plus I did 3 sections in a hour and a half, which gives me 30 minutes for all of them.

Anyways, I scored a 176! Highest yet. I seem to keep getting a raw score of around 93 or so, it just depends on the scale.

I personally have to agree that LR is easier in the older tests. What I really noticed a difference in was the phrasing of the question, to be honest.

My score breakdown as -1 LG, -2LR, -3RC (hatchew), -2LR.

I would have gotten -2RC had I kept an answer I'd initially chosen... tomorrow I'm going to go over that sucker and figure out every wrong answer, etc, plus the difficult questions.

My most exciting improvement so far has been in Parallel Reasoning. I can SEE the little detail that gets echoed in one answer choice and not in another... today it was something like goes from "increased the most" to just "is the most." I haven't gotten a PR question wrong since I did my LRB :).

I feel like I haven't done enough games lately. I was focusing on games to the exclusion of the other sections, and now I'm focusing on the other sections to the exclusion of the games section, lol. I prefer the games so much more than the reading sections, but now that I feel better about both LR and (somewhat) RC, I think I can do some games again :).

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:00 pm

eit wrote:Just finished Prep Test #7... I didn't actually time myself, but I've never gone over 30 minutes for an LR section or an RC section even while timing, so I think I was in the time constraints. Plus I did 3 sections in a hour and a half, which gives me 30 minutes for all of them.

Anyways, I scored a 176! Highest yet. I seem to keep getting a raw score of around 93 or so, it just depends on the scale.

I personally have to agree that LR is easier in the older tests. What I really noticed a difference in was the phrasing of the question, to be honest.

My score breakdown as -1 LG, -2LR, -3RC (hatchew), -2LR.

I would have gotten -2RC had I kept an answer I'd initially chosen... tomorrow I'm going to go over that sucker and figure out every wrong answer, etc, plus the difficult questions.

My most exciting improvement so far has been in Parallel Reasoning. I can SEE the little detail that gets echoed in one answer choice and not in another... today it was something like goes from "increased the most" to just "is the most." I haven't gotten a PR question wrong since I did my LRB :).

I feel like I haven't done enough games lately. I was focusing on games to the exclusion of the other sections, and now I'm focusing on the other sections to the exclusion of the games section, lol. I prefer the games so much more than the reading sections, but now that I feel better about both LR and (somewhat) RC, I think I can do some games again :).

Great score! It's an earlier test, but that's still fantastic considering you're doing it all in less than 35 minutes. The earlier tests aren't that much easier. The LSAC just used fewer language tricks in LR back then. Ultimately, your experience will depend on how quickly you can process what you're reading.

I would still recommend timing yourself. It isn't just a matter of completing the sections within a certain time. Knowing you're being timed can have a significant psychological impact on your performance. You might as well get used to that.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:17 pm

I just made the dumbest mistake regarding my LSAT studies yet.

I bought Starcraft 2.

Sigh.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:39 pm

Hannibal wrote:I just made the dumbest mistake regarding my LSAT studies yet.

I bought Starcraft 2.

Sigh.

Break it in two.

Buy it again after you take the test if you really wanna play it.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Sell Manilla wrote:

I bought Starcraft 2.

Sigh.

Break it in two.

Are you NUTS??! The Terrain campaign alone is 100!

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:14 pm

AverageTutoring wrote:
Sell Manilla wrote:

I bought Starcraft 2.

Sigh.

Break it in two.

Are you NUTS??! The Terrain campaign alone is 100!

One cannot break a digital purchase in half.

And I don't think I'll get too obsessed. I bought Red Dead Redemption during my studying too and I still got 2 hours or more per day.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:16 pm

Hannibal wrote:One cannot break a digital purchase in half.

And I don't think I'll get too obsessed. I bought Red Dead Redemption during my studying too and I still got 2 hours or more per day.

Oh nooooes! Digital purchase. I cannot ever buy that game.

Well, apparently you & I are very different. Congrats.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Noob: One cannot effectively orchestrate a zerg attack without Ultralisks. In order to effectively orchestrate a zerg attack, one must have units to soak up damage, and no zerg unit soaks up damage as effectively as an Ultralisk.

Noob's argument is most vulnerable to be weakened by which of the following arguments:

A: Ultralisks are weak to firebats, and most players use Terran.
B: Ability to soak up damage is secondary to the number of damage-soaking units.
C: Ultralisks require too many overlords to be a part of a well-built zerg swarm.
D: There are cheaper units than Ultralisk that could also soak up damage.
E: Construction of ultralisks are usually only possible in the late game, while zerg is more built for quick attacks.

AverageTutoring

Postby AverageTutoring » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:40 pm

Hannibal wrote:Noob: One cannot effectively orchestrate a zerg attack without Ultralisks. In order to effectively orchestrate a zerg attack, one must have units to soak up damage, and no zerg unit soaks up damage as effectively as an Ultralisk.

Noob's argument is most vulnerable to be weakened by which of the following arguments:

A: Ultralisks are weak to firebats, and most players use Terran.
B: Ability to soak up damage is secondary to the number of damage-soaking units.
C: Ultralisks require too many overlords to be a part of a well-built zerg swarm.
D: There are cheaper units than Ultralisk that could also soak up damage.
E: Construction of ultralisks are usually only possible in the late game, while zerg is more built for quick attacks.

Can we have a more realistic scenario please? I mean, come on! Who uses ultralisks :lol:

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:52 pm

and this thread just left this world... ha

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am

3|ink wrote:
Great score! It's an earlier test, but that's still fantastic considering you're doing it all in less than 35 minutes. The earlier tests aren't that much easier. The LSAC just used fewer language tricks in LR back then. Ultimately, your experience will depend on how quickly you can process what you're reading.

I would still recommend timing yourself. It isn't just a matter of completing the sections within a certain time. Knowing you're being timed can have a significant psychological impact on your performance. You might as well get used to that.

Thanks! It's my highest yet - I'm still aiming for that Elle Woods 179 or so haha.

Yeah, I found the language was really the most different aspect of it. And RC was a little easier, but I still scored about average. I think the scale was the biggest thing - I got 93 raw on another test and it was a 173.

I also noticed that the sections for Reading Comprehension weren't as convoluted, which helped out. I still scored about my average for each section (maybe a little better for LR).

Oh, I totally know what you mean about the psychological aspect of timing. Usually I do put on the LSAT cacophony and pull out the watch. I love the LSAT cacophony thing though, cause there's the scritching of pencils and other noises (I find the pencil noises sooo intimidating even if it's just on a tape, I'm like AHHH PEOPLE ARE ANSWERING QUESTIONS I'M NOT AHHHH), and that five minute warning as well. Today was just an off day where I was rushing to get in some sections before I headed to work so I didn't get fancy.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:14 pm

Super jealous of your score,eit!

I think older tests are harder. Or that just may be my hope lol.

I did preptest A today and got 163 which is what I got on my September LSAT. I can only comfort myself with the fact that every LR question I got wrong was a question type I haven't done with LRB yet. And I also have not done grouping yet with LGB. So I'm trying to comfort myself with that.... Sigh.

Section breakdown:
LR1: -5
RC: -5
LG: -4
LR2: -5

Some advice, pleasssee?

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm

Gemini Hopeful wrote:I did preptest A today and got 163 which is what I got on my September LSAT. I can only comfort myself with the fact that every LR question I got wrong was a question type I haven't done with LRB yet. And I also have not done grouping yet with LGB. So I'm trying to comfort myself with that.... Sigh.

Some advice, pleasssee?

Yes. Finish learning/studying the material before you do any more practice tests. IMO you're sorta wasting those portions.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:05 pm

I agree with above... it was a long hard slog through the LRB (well, actually, I enjoyed the LRB, I was just itchy to try out my new skills), but I think it's better to wait until you've done every question type before you do a prep test. Then do one, see if you're missing any particular ones, and go back and review as necessary.

And Gemini Hopeful, thanks! If it makes you feel better, I definitely got in the 160's for Superprep A as well lol.

drake

Postby drake » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Last edited by drake on Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sell Manilla

Postby Sell Manilla » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:23 pm

3, unless you wanna do superprep, in which case 3 & 4.

Day2Daze

Postby Day2Daze » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:42 pm

drake wrote:Just finished LGB. What should be the next move?

1) Take a test just to see where I am at then do LRB

2) Take a test just to see where I am at then do SuperPrep

3) Don't take a test and just do LRB

4) Don't take a test and just do SuperPrep

5) Skip both LRB and SuperPrep and do some tests

Any thoughts guys?

Or do some timed LG sections from older tests, no need to test LR or RC yet since youve only developed LG skills.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:46 pm

Just took PT 32. Breakdown was as follows:

LR: -0
RC: -2
LG: -4
LR: -3

91/100 credited answers for a 173.

Games are usually my strongest point, but they really made these ones challenging to make up for the moderate RC and the easy LR. I think I was just tired by section 3. All three LR errors were stupid mistakes.

I went over the games afterwards. My techniques were correct, but for some reason I was mentally confusing variables L and I.

PS: Finished both LRs before 5 minute call. Boya!

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:29 pm

I haven't reached the 30's yet. I'm still mucking around in the 20's, mostly using it for section practice with the occasional full prep test timed in there. I think starting soon I'm going to make the switch to more full prep tests, with a few scattered timed sections in there for days when going over or doing a full prep test isn't possible.

In other news, I had my BEST LR section yet!! -1 in 24 minutes. Fairly excited about this. I do need to figure out what happened on that one question. Something to do with Akabe tribe and why they don't drink a caffeinated beverage in the morning. This makes me hopeful that maybe -0 on an LR might exist in the future :).

Oh and to that question about what to do after you finish the LGB - I'd test out your games skills on a few isolated games sections (I actually went through 10 Actual prep tests and did all the games in there) before moving on to the LRB (to make sure the concepts are stuck in your head all nice and tight, then do the LRB, then make a move to full prep tests. Just make sure you don't waste newer tests with your games practice, stick to the 10 Actual or lower numbered ones.

P.S., I totally wrote "130's" up above there, haha... the LSAT is slowly engraining itself in my brain. I won't be surprised if by October, I'm consistently misspelling "last," lol.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:46 pm

eit wrote:I haven't reached the 30's yet. I'm still mucking around in the 20's, mostly using it for section practice with the occasional full prep test timed in there. I think starting soon I'm going to make the switch to more full prep tests, with a few scattered timed sections in there for days when going over or doing a full prep test isn't possible.

In other news, I had my BEST LR section yet!! -1 in 24 minutes. Fairly excited about this. I do need to figure out what happened on that one question. Something to do with Akabe tribe and why they don't drink a caffeinated beverage in the morning. This makes me hopeful that maybe -0 on an LR might exist in the future :).

Oh and to that question about what to do after you finish the LGB - I'd test out your games skills on a few isolated games sections (I actually went through 10 Actual prep tests and did all the games in there) before moving on to the LRB (to make sure the concepts are stuck in your head all nice and tight, then do the LRB, then make a move to full prep tests. Just make sure you don't waste newer tests with your games practice, stick to the 10 Actual or lower numbered ones.

P.S., I totally wrote "130's" up above there, haha... the LSAT is slowly engraining itself in my brain. I won't be surprised if by October, I'm consistently misspelling "last," lol.

Im very curious what your diagnostic was... you are doing so well!
How long have u been studying and is October a retake for you or first time? Any classes taken?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”